DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Cleocat
Mouseketeer

Food prices

Just wondering if the prices for food on the DVC site is discounted for members. Or are they the same price as if I went to the hotel store and bought it. We are bringing food with us to have in the villa, I just need to buy cold stuff i.e. milk, eggs, bacon. If it is discounted I'll use DVC if not I'll just wait till we arrive. We'll have a car so if need be I can go off property but for the little amount of food we'll need it may be more of a hassle to go out. Any help would help. Thanks
Soon to add DCL to the list.
Cleocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Tara
Bad Influence

The prices aren't discounted for DVC members.

Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
DVC SSR Owner
DIS Veteran

Publix has great paninis and groceries.
DVC SSR Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleocat View Post
Just wondering if the prices for food on the DVC site is discounted for members. Or are they the same price as if I went to the hotel store and bought it. We are bringing food with us to have in the villa, I just need to buy cold stuff i.e. milk, eggs, bacon. If it is discounted I'll use DVC if not I'll just wait till we arrive. We'll have a car so if need be I can go off property but for the little amount of food we'll need it may be more of a hassle to go out. Any help would help. Thanks
Which resort are you staying at?
You can get some of these items at the Hess Gas Stations on property and they are cheaper than at the resorts. These stations are located across from PI/DTD, across from BWV, and at the exit from MK.
If you are at AK, the closest place is the Publix and/or the Super Target on 192.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Cleocat
Mouseketeer

Staying at Bay Lake. This is our 1st trip with DVC so I'm still trying to figure things out. I know enough to get by but still learning as I go. Thanks for the input.
Soon to add DCL to the list.
Cleocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

We have always found eggs to be a pretty good price at the DVC resorts. After breaking several eggs transporting them throughout the years, we wait till we get there to buy eggs. Everything else is pretty costly.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
DVC doesn't sell food, the forms on the website are for the resort store. If you use the form, you will be charged a delivery fee.

Since you have a car, I would drive over to Publix, pick up your cold items and a box of their deli fried chicken for the first nights meal.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
We have always found eggs to be a pretty good price at the DVC resorts. After breaking several eggs transporting them throughout the years, we wait till we get there to buy eggs. Everything else is pretty costly.
This is very true. We just got back from a 4 night trip, no car and didn't do our WeGoShop order. Eggs were actually less expensive in the resort store than home Bread cost about the same for the name brand. BUT the butter and bacon cost is enough to make it worth your while to go Publix or Target or Walmart. Butter was $2.45 for 2 sticks and bacon was $4 something for a very small package of thin sliced bacon. A package of spaghetti was over $2 and a little and I mean little bottle of spaghetti sauce was $3.45 (We didn't buy it)

Even at those prices, it was less than my DH eating 4 CS breakfasts. We spent $27 for breakfast basics plus a few snacks for both of us and 4 full CS breakfasts plus my fruit/muffins would have been over $40.

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
Staying at Bay Lake. This is our 1st trip with DVC so I'm still trying to figure things out. I know enough to get by but still learning as I go. Thanks for the input.
Since you will have a car, don't bother with Disney's inflated prices. Just go to the nearest Publix and buy groceries there. We even have a discount card for Publix that we use each trip.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
nexttripdisney
Mouseketeer

Since we started using the Magical Express and don't have to rent a car anymore, we started using Garden Grocer. What a wonderful service they offer.

Even if I were to have a car at my disposal, I would place a grocery order for the sheer convenience. After a day of travelling, the last thing I want to do is go to the grocery store. The $12 delivery charge is well worth the convenience, in my opinion.
nexttripdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
pmcpmc

Bite Me I'm Irish

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
stayed without a car last year and the food bill went thru the roof as eating out especially at ESPN I felt the prices had gone through the roof.
pmcpmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttripdisney View Post
Since we started using the Magical Express and don't have to rent a car anymore, we started using Garden Grocer. What a wonderful service they offer.

Even if I were to have a car at my disposal, I would place a grocery order for the sheer convenience. After a day of travelling, the last thing I want to do is go to the grocery store. The $12 delivery charge is well worth the convenience, in my opinion.
The delivery charge isn't the only cost. The price of the food items are marked up also.

We used them once and had several problems. After we computed the delivery fee and markups we determined that it doesn't cost much more to rent a car for a day, do our own shopping and guarantee that we will get what we want. We also pick up anything that we forgot to pack and we eat a nice meal off site at a considerable cost savings.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
dj420okw
Earning My Ears

Since you have a car with you, I would drive to the grocery store. If you are in a studio, I would just go to the Hess or even the resort store since you won't be able to stock much anyway. Go to the Publix or Winn-Dixie stores
dj420okw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
yapper79
Earning My Ears

A few years ago we came down to Disney with friends and stayed in a villa with a kitchen. Typically DH and I just eat out, but they taught me an awful lot about how much more convenient it was to stock the fridge! My favorite thing they brought? They had pre-cooked a baked ziti and brought it down frozen. We left for the parks in the AM with it defrosting and threw it in the oven when we got back that night! Yum!
Took a group to VWL January 2006!
Cruised & SSR in November 2007!
BCV in April 2009!
AKL in September 2010!
yapper79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

We have always gone to to Winn Dixie when staying in the magic kingdom area, just seemed more convient for us and had everything we needed. We would spend about 200.00 for 10 days of groceries (family of 5) and ate out occasionally. When checking into BLT ask for printed directions to grocery store they have them right at the front desk.

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: