Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2003, 03:22 PM   #1
Kevin Stringer
Chat Host
Oddly concerned about an elephant living in his pyjamas
The TF would like to see Kevinís rendition of 'Great balls of fire'

A Very British Trip report (Cruise Edition) Day 16 & Summary

DAY 16 Ė FRIDAY 30th MAY & SUMMARY

Whoís going:

Me: Kev, 45.
Wife: Tam, 39.
Daughter 1: India, 12.
Daughter 2: Georgia, 9.

Want to know any more than that?
Go look at http://freespace.virgin.net/kevin.stringer/index.htm itís really not too painful.

Todayís report is going to be brief as is customary with my final day efforts. I mean, what is there to be happy about?

We get up at 9:00 am and are packed and out of the room by 11:00. The bags are stored with Bell Services and we get the bus to Downtown Disney. A quick visit to the World of Disney allows some last minute shopping before we move to DisneyQuest. We are not being picked up by Happy Limo until 5:00 pm so this seems like a good way to pass the time. Wrong!
I hadnít realised, but our 7 day passes do not include DisneyQuest. Iím not paying $30 each to go in for a few hours, so we have to think again.

I suggest seeing a film, so we walk the few yards to the AMC theatre to see what is showing.
By happy coincidence Finding Nemo has opened today, so that saves any arguments as to what we should see.

Itís plainly obvious that Pixar and Disney are going to have another smash hit on their hands with this one. My favourite characters are Bruce the shark and the surfing dude turtle. Like Ė whoa dude!
See it as soon as you can. Unfortunately, I donít think it comes out in the UK until October.

After the film we wander through a couple more shops before returning to the BCV to be picked up by Happy Limo.
We arrive at MCO 3 hours before our flight and get checked in very smoothly. Once again we fail to get our pre-booked seats. They really have to re-think this programme, or else drop it entirely.

We know have a long time to wait and I suggest we have a look around the Hyatt as Iíve never seen it before. I remember that many people use McCoyís restaurant to have a relaxing meal before their flights, so we go and have a look at the prices.
Not bad at all, so we give it a try.
Tam and I split a turkey sandwich, India just has corn on the cob, while Georgia has chicken nuggets. With drinks all round, cookies for dessert and tip the bill is $42. A very nice way to while away the time in quieter surroundings to the normal hustle and bustle of the airport.

The rest is just boring and sad. The flight home is fine, I watch Treasure Planet (better than I expected) and Daredevil (worse than I expected).

SUMMARY

The cruise:

Iím glad I have given myself a couple of weeks before writing this summary in order to put things in their proper perspective.
Overall the cruise was a wonderful experience. The food, the service, the entertainment and the islands we visited were all first class. Just sitting on the verandah and enjoying the view was lovely.

The things that I wasnít quite so keen on tend to be relatively minor gripes. The number of people can be a little overwhelming at times, especially on the first day. Some of the myriad photo-opportunities are a bit over the top, the atrium is taken up with photographers and queues waiting to be snapped at certain times on the cruise.
The staterooms can be a little less than private, you can hear people either side of you at times, although this must vary enormously depending on who you have next to you.
Also I was surprised at the number of people who made no effort at all outside of formal night to dress up. Not that there is anything wrong with this, itís your holiday and if you prefer to be casual, fine. It just wasnít what I was expecting.

Would I do it again? Yes, but perversely enough after all my moaning about too many children, I would prefer to do a cruise with just Tam and I. Some of the Ďadult onlyí facilities are excellent and Iím sure you could have a much more relaxing time if you could make full use of these.

The weather:
Having not been in one of the hotter months for a long while, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Very little rain and no worries about feeling too cold in shorts in the evenings. Maybe July and August wouldnít be so bad after all.

BCV v BWV
Ah, tricky one this. My natural loyalty towards my home resort would pull me in favour of the BWV. There is more hustle and bustle on the Boardwalk and the lounge in the Inn is one of my favourite places in WDW.
But Ö.. the BCV exceeded my expectations. Quiet, pretty and far away from the throngs of the parks.
Iíll have to sit on the fence on this one and say that if you want a livelier time stay at the BWV, if you prefer a more relaxing holiday try the BCV. Neatly sidestepped eh?
At least it shows that I should try all the DVC resorts at some time in the future as I may be surprised again.

So thatís it. All over for another year. Every time it seems to get harder to leave Florida. Itís almost like a second home now.

Whatís next? Well, we have already booked a villa in Captiva for a week at the end of May next year, followed by another week back in a DVC resort.
Both mothers are coming with us again, so it looks like Iíll be kept on my toes.

Finally, thanks very much to all those who took time to either post messages or sent me e-mail. It really does help you to keep writing knowing that there is someone out there reading.

Cheers

Kev
Kevin Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:57 PM   #2
Pootle

DIS Veteran

I've loved all the reports Kevin, and looked forward to each new day's posting. You've made me laugh and smile often and even ponder occasionally. As a result of your experiences, I intend to dine at the Contemporary resort on my next visit and include a meal at the Hyatt to round off the trip (September). Thanks again for taking the trouble to put it all down; I'm sure you need a beer to help you recover :D
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2003, 05:05 PM   #3
Hilary
There's always something new to learn!

Thumbs up

Kev, rest assured there are plenty of people out here reading and enjoying all of your reports - well, I count for one anyway!

Thanks as always for letting us share your wonderful memories. Remind me to buy you a beer at the next SW Meet .......
Old 06-24-2003, 04:19 AM   #4
PoohBears#1fan
Mouseketeer

I've really enjoyed reading these reports - thanks for posting them, your writing is very entertaining

I can so relate to it getting harder to leave Florida, when we thought each trip would be our one and only time it was fine, but now that we know we're going back often, it's so hard to leave, which doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me, so I'm glad others feel the same.

1992 - Offsite, 1998 ASMusic, 2001 ASMovies
2003 - BCV 2004 - BCV 2005 - OKW, BCV, HRH
2008 - Islamorada & BCV 2010 - OKW, BWV & AKL
2012 OKW, BLT & VB 2013 - OKW

>
PoohBears#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:27 AM   #5
WebmasterPenny
Trying to be cheeky...
Don't trifle with the Tag Fairy

Great reports Kev! I've truly enjoyed reading every one of them

Assistant Webmaster
WebmasterPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:42 AM   #6
Bozza
Mouseketeer

Kev,

A most heartfelt thanks for your great trip reports. I spent most of yesterday evening going through some of your past reports on your website. They are a fantastic read!

Having a 8 month old daughter, I can't wait to see the magic of Disney through her eyes and am contemplating a first trip later this year.

I was also interested in your DVC ownership - I might drop you a line off-board about this.

Thanks once again,

Darren

(...and with Brighton being relegated - I might be seeing you at a football game soon!)

Holiday Inn, I-Drive 1987
Somewhere on I-Drive 1990-ish
Somewhere else on I-Drive 1993-ish
Quality Inn Plaza, Holiday Inn and others, I-Drive 1998-ish
Yet somewhere else on I-Drive 2000
Courtyard by Marriott, DTD, December 2003 (First trip as a Dad!)
Bozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:18 AM   #7
Scottish_Maleficent
DIS Veteran

Kevin

Your trip reports have been brilliant!!!!

Cath:D
Scottish_Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 12:00 PM   #8
Madjock
You don't have to be Mad but it helps!
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on!

Kevin,

I' so that we've come to the end of your trip, no more reports, what am I going to read on my lunch break now? I haven't posted at the end of the reports but I've read everyone and thoroughly enjoyed them, they were brilliant

Know exactly how you felt about leaving.

Thanks for all the entertainment.

Annmarie
Old 06-24-2003, 01:47 PM   #9
Tartan Tigger
I fixed my PC MYSELF!!!!!!!!
I need all the help I can get
Sends little flat people around the world
I tossed my cookies for Dixie Amos

Kev, your reports have been brill Thanks for posting them.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:17 AM   #10
boleynbarmy
Earning My Ears

Kev, over the course of the last two months I have read all of your previous holiday reports, + the present one. The reports are full, amusing but also give great detail. Have you not thought of going back sooner so that you can get another report in before next May.

Dave F
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'august07,2003 7:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=red>Wishing my life away</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Happy,Happy,Happy';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
boleynbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 06:21 AM   #11
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Thanks Kev for your wonderful reports :D Please let us know when your piccies are posted on your website :D
Old 06-25-2003, 05:44 PM   #12
Fiona R
UK Scrapper!!

Thanks Kev, hope we don't have to pay you royalties to read your prose!! Perhaps a beer!!
Fiona R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:19 AM   #13
chunkster20uk
Yes...the TF has visited me too!

Kev

Your reports have been fantastic!!

Mandy and I really enjoyed meeting you, Tam and the girls and hope that we get to meet up again soon.

I hear that next Christmas there is going to be a 10 day cruise, might have to save a few pennies for that one!!

All the best

Mark

PS Do you still owe me a drink? lol
chunkster20uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 04:57 PM   #14
jools
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

Hi Kevin

Get the man a barrel of beer!

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your trip reports. You had me hooked and whilst waiting for each instalment, I had to visit your web page and catch up on previous reports.

I can totally relate to how you feel about WDW, the parks, the resorts and the little extra touches that the Disney CMs do to make your holiday that extra bit special. Through reading your reports I can almost feel the heat of those warm sunny days, the air filled with the smell of popcorn and hear the toot tooting of the boats' horns as they come into dock at the BWV and BCV.

You have provided me with a few ideas of things to try when we go in September, but more so I canít wait until you go again!

Jools
jools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:25 AM   #15
Poohshoney
Ya-ya sister!
Threw a strop when she didn't get to ride in the front of the monorail

B**ger, my favourite trip reports have ended - again! Go back, go back now!
Poohshoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: