Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
minmate
I can show you the world... Don't you dare close your eyes!
I mostly just like the pretty colors

MINMATE'S Trip Report: Day 4 - Out Of The Ashes Rises The Phoenix: A Perfect Day

MINMATE’S Trip Report: Pre-trip Drama… I think I’m Gonna Be sick… http://www.disboards.com/showthread....95#post8284795
MINMATE’S Trip Report: (Day 1) I Need A Vacation! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....21#post8284821
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 2 (Pt.1) Lions & Tarzan & Mickey, Oh My! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....35#post8288435
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 2 (Pt.2) Visiting WDW-One Potty At A Time! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=792642
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 2 (Pt.3) Magic Kingdom Nirvana
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....61#post8301761
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 3 (PT 1) POOL Is One Letter Short of POO!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=792687
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 3 (PT 2) Don’t Rain On My Parade!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=792750

ME (minmate)
DH -- Joe
DD6 – Cali
DD5 – Meg
DS4 – Buddy
DD2 – Jay Jay
4/5-4/12 – 7 nights at Pop Century

FRIDAY AM 4/8
I guess it was a blessing in disguise that we opted out of Epcot’s EMH evening. The morning’s 6:30 wake up call came too soon. I’d fresh run out of adrenaline and slept hard and fast last night only to wake too soon to Stitch’s antics. Well, today is a new Disney Day! Wait, scratch that, reverse it… Buddy sheepishly enters our room to confess he’d had another accident! Are we having fun yet? He’s been out of diapers for 2 years folks. This was completely disorienting to all of us. I’ve learned that vacationing is a messy business! We will definitely need to do laundry and leave another generous tip for the Micekeepers!

We all seem to be feeling better and enjoy a bit of pixie dust in the way of being able to just walk right onto a bus at the queue at Pop. I smiled as I remembered the security guard who checked my bags from last year. Okay, I’m officially a Disney addict. We ended up being about the 4th family in line at the turnstile we chose. We truly have a half-hour (HALF AND HOUR) wait until the park opens. I bring out the big guns again. We get my mom, Granny Nanny, on the phone to chat it up with the kids while we wait. They let everyone enter beyond the turnstiles but not through to the stroller/ecv rentals. We were right at the rope. I thought the characters came out to greet us but I guess not at EMH, maybe only at the regular opening time? Well, the dropped the rope and it’s off to the races. It was a madhouse at the stroller area. People were pushing, shoving, clamoring. We’d already pre-paid for a multi-day pass, but I needed to get it stamped. Well, there was nobody manning the actual strollers. We were honest and got our ticket stamped, but it would have been easy to just walk off with a couple of strollers without paying for them. Usually, they have CM’s checking and what not, but that’s how crazy it was.

Joe took Cali and Meg and boldly went where this man has never gone (solo) before. He headed to Space Mountain, tentatively secure in his ability to find it and then find us again when they were done. As he took a left at the hub toward Tomorrowland I called after him, “Go towards the white thingy!” I love to be a dork sometimes! It’s fun!

JayJay, Buddy and I veered toward Fantasyland. We were intercepted by a lonesome duo… TweedleDee and TweedleDum. My two tweedles hopped out of the stroller to play with them. After that we headed over to a very quiet Tea Cups. As we were spinning, a relay of phone messages begins between Joe and I. The first one is him telling me that Space Mtn. is down and so he had to FP it. He only had two tix though (I’m stingy with doling them out) and was worried if he was going to run into trouble later getting all three of them on the ride. He didn’t know where to meet us. I immediately call back and suggest to him to meet us at Buzz. We sacrifice a ride on Dumbo to meet up with dad and the girls. On our way to Buzz, Joe calls back and says their on the TTA. Good idea, Meg loves that ride. Plus she gets a chance to see Space Mtn. lit up which is also good because she has not ridden it before and was a bit nervous of the unknown. I zip over and get the rest of the FP’s needed for Space and then go on Buzz and by the time we’re off, Joe is in line for Buzz with the girls so we all go on again together.

We skipped breakfast again but nothing quick was open. So we elect to get drinks and use up some of our Snack Points at Enchanted Grove in FL. It takes forever. Nobody was in line, he just took forever. Something was wrong with his cash register… like it was out of tape or something.

We head over to POTC. Buddy had been really good all morning and so gets him the $1.50 rubber irons. Yay, for Buddy. CM’s continue to comment on these the rest of the trip, because of course, he has them on his person for most of the rest of the trip! JayJay also elects to get a pirate Eeyore as she had not joined in the POTC buying frenzy the last time.

We try to eat at Peco’s but they aren’t open yet so we do Splash. Stand-by is 15 min. We get the ride switch coupon because JayJay was too short to ride. She gets a VIP pass from the CM upon our request and Joe takes her to the Laughin’ Place Playground. Buddy decides he does not like this ride. It is contagious. Now, Meg, who liked this ride last year, decides she does not like it anymore either. They get mad at me. Why? I don’t know. I told them they didn’t have to go again. We decide to wait on using the ride switch (in my heart I know we will probably not make it back over that way though). Oh well, Joe gets to do Space Mtn. while I got Splash. Good deal in my opinion.

We decide to take the train over to Toon Town so JayJay can ride Barnstormer. The line for Barnstormer is the longest we have to wait in for any rides/attractions. In the ballpark of 20 minutes. JayJay loves it and smiles for miles! Everyone is happy and in a good mood, but hungry. So we take the backway path toward Tomorrowland and Joe splits off with Cali and Meg to do Space Mtn. We agree to meet at Cosmic Ray’s where I will order us lunch. I explain how to get from Space to Cosmic Ray’s, very well, I think… short of telling him exactly how many paces they are apart. I don’t know that, but I’m sure someone does!

Well, Joe definitely got the longer end of the stick here. Have you ever tried to order 3 trays worth of food with two kids who want to be held at the same time? Not the easiest thing in the world. JayJay is getting tired because she walks into a chair again and bumps her eye. She starts crying so I sit her down next to me and that makes things worse. Finally, I figure out what she’s saying. She wants to sit next to Buddy. So we get that squared away. Joe calls and leaves a message that he doesn’t know where to go because he can’t find Cosmic Ray’s. It’s not on the map. Map reading is apparently not at the top of his skill set now are they? So, I get him on the phone and eventually he finds us. We spend more time in Cosmic Ray’s than I expected, but it was cool… a bit loud because of the singing, but good.

We head over to Carousel of Progress and shake our heads again as we pass by the Stitch ride. Mid-way through the ride Buddy has to go potty. Hey, imagine that! We get ice cream treats from a less than hospitable CM and decide it’s time to go back to the hotel.
Joe gets to do the walk from the MK exit to the bus stop twice thanks to the girls finding that magic hidden bladder filling spot in the pavement. When the bus rolls up they are still nowhere to be seen, but they make good time and actually make it back on the same bus as we do. The bus ride back seems long. Maybe I was just tired.

When we got back to the room I just plopped down on the bed and zoned out for a bit while the kids did their “Thanks to the Micekeepers” chant/dance. The kids asked to go for a swim so we hit the bowling pin pool again. JayJay is so daring. She was jumping on by herself. Once, she fell and got a black-and-blue mark from hitting her leg on the edge of the pool. But don’t you dare try to catch her. She didn’t really cry when she fell but she definitely yells and points her finger at me, “Don’t you catch me mommy!” If I try to catch her when she jumps in. I wonder what other parents think when they see me throwing her up in the air to splash down into the pool, underwater. “What does that woman think she’s doing to that little baby?!!!” Hey, she loves it! I never did that with the older three. But JayJay might as well be a fish or a duck with as much as she loves the water.

After a nice long swim we freshen up and head to MGM. I instruct Joe that at the end of the blvd. we will split up, I will go left for RNR FP’s and he will go right for TOT FP’s. I figure those stations are closer, less likely he will get lost. See, we can get FP’s for both because we have five tix. Only 3 will ride TOT at a time and only 2 will ride RNR at a time. We figured we’d ask for ride switch tix and if they didn’t give them to us, we’d do the FP again after our time was available. As it turns out, Joe doesn’t know how to go right. Maybe because he’s a lefty. Maybe because he just doesn’t listen to me. He was headed toward RNR, but I’d already gotten the FP’s for that. So, exasperated, I ask him to surrender the tickets and I got the FP’s for TOT. Then, we headed off to Star Tours. Joe had psyched Buddy up for this as he is a newbie Star Wars fan. He’d gotten light sabers for his birthday right before we left for the trip. He said he was homesick for them. That kid! Joe thought Star Tours would cheer him up! JayJay fell asleep in the stroller and I relaxed with her at the tables between Star Tours and Indiana Jones. I caught up on my journal and just relaxed. Before I knew it Joe, Buddy, Cali and Meg were done with Star Tours. They’d just walked right on. Buddy was bubbling. He wanted to go again. Cali and I joined him. Meg and Joe stayed back with JayJay. Joe wanted to try to squeeze in his ride on TOT. He had never done it. But I convinced him that we should go to our PS for Hollywood and Vine first. We were doing the Fantasmic Dinner Package. We had a HALF AND HOUR wait for our PS. It wasn’t that bad but everyone was hungry. They probably could have squeezed in TOT if they hustled there and back!

Our H&V server was pleasant. We got our Fantasmic Reserved Seating Ticket right away and she told us when and where to go. She also deducted the meal from our Dining Plan which I wasn’t sure was possible, but asked anyway! Yay!

While Joe was up getting his food, Buddy had a fit about his chicken nuggets (well what did you think he’d be eating?) having slid into the ketchup. He was insisting I wipe the chicken nugget clean. Sometimes I don’t know whether to laugh, cry or walk away. I’d done all three on this trip already! JayJay announced she had to go potty. I wasn’t going to make the same mistake twice. As fast as you can say “Fantasmic!” I whisked her out of her chair, got Joe’s attention so he’d know I was leaving the table and rushed JayJay to the bathroom. Thankfully, there was no wait. Whew!

Joe had appeased Buddy’s ketchupy chicken dilemma by pretending to clean it and replacing it with a new one. Does that count as a white lie? While getting dessert I saw the father and daughter from the airplane. She was whining and the father looked exasperated. Now, I know I shouldn’t take joy in other people’s misery. I suppose, it was more like taking comfort in knowing I wasn’t alone in the World with whiny kids. Every time I saw or heard a whiny, crying or upset kid, I never complained or commented. I just sent up a prayer thanking God it wasn’t my turn this time!

After dinner (I know we are daredevils. We do all the thrill rides AFTER we eat!) we head over to TOT. Joe, Cali and Meg ride it while Buddy (who, of course brought his pirate gear) and JayJay had a grand ol’ time sword fighting. We chatted with another mom and little boy who were also waiting for family to get off of TOT. Joe and the girls exited TOT and Joe was smiling but shaking his head. I knew this meant Meg did NOT go for this ride… at ALL! She was fine on the ride and “looked” fine as she approached us, but with each step closer to me, I saw her shell begin to crack. I was so proud of her for at least branching out and trying something new (albeit scary for her). I hugged her and told her that. She told me it was a “stupid, stupid ride and she never wanted to ride it again!” Well, that was fine with me. She calmed down and we headed over to RNR. Cali and I rode it. I was nervous for HER. I knew she’d be fine… my adventurous, unaffected little girl. This was her first BIG coaster, the first time she’d be inverted on a steel machine. Know what she said when we pulled in after it was over… “That was it? That was too short!” Know what her expression was on the pic? Totally stoic, like, ok, when’s the party gonna start? Geesh! It’s hard to impress this girl! Know what her expression is like on the pics I took in front of the big guitar? As if she is saying, “yeah, yeah, I rode it, so what’s the big deal?” This is the girl that was quick to tell everyone last year when she rode TOT she was the ONLY one that didn’t scream. I tried to explain to her that screaming is part of the fun.

After exploring the RNR bathroom area we headed over to Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Playground. They loved that, went wild over there! I realized it was now 7:42. We were told that they closed the gate to reserved seating PROMPTLY at 8pm. We didn’t want to miss out on it so we got in our cardio workout for the day as we corralled the kids and headed up to Oscar’s. We got from HISTK to the front of the park (Oscar’s) in six minutes. I don’t know if that’s good time but we made it. Apparently, we were ahead of the rest of the reserved seating crowd because we basically had the pick of the section. The rest of the theatre was packed and within five minutes so was the reserved seating. We now had a true HALF AND HOUR for the show to start. We took turns doing potty breaks. I took JayJay and Cali. JayJay was so cute as she wiggled, waddled and danced her way to the bathroom. The CM at the top of the section joined in with her. Cali heard the song she is doing for her dance recital later this year and I begged her to show me some of it. She started to but then said she couldn’t do the rest because she has to get on the ground. I haven’t seen their routine yet, so I have no idea what she was talking about and let it slide. We entertained the kids with Bejeweled on our cell phones for the last 15 minutes of our wait. I was amused by the family behind me as they said some of the same things to their kids about not needing more “stuff” and to learn to appreciate what they do have and to just appreciate getting a vacation in the first place. I was amused by two things: 1) My kids had been awesome today. They didn’t ask for anything even when the spinny, twirly light sellers came by; and 2) Even though they were sitting behind me and based on her comments to her kids, they were obviously whining, I never heard the kids say a peep! I found myself wishing my kids whined that quietly! How come my kids are so loud, I wondered? Well that’s a question for another day because Fantasmic started, and let me just say, it was nothing short of Fantasmic! Joe and I had seen this at Disneyland years ago but on a whole this just blew that out of the water! This by far, is one of our favorites at WDW. We left yearning to see it again. We contemplated trying to fit it in another day but again, me, being a line-waiting snob, didn’t want to stand in line to see it. Ultimately, we decided some things are just best when you leave them yearning for more. Despite all the downs on our trip, the ups were skyrocketing past them and by now I knew Joe was definitely “in” for a future trip. So, it was nice feeling to be able to think and say, “We can see it again next time!”

Somehow, even though the kids had to walk from the theatre to the bus stop – we didn’t have our strollers anymore – and we took our time, we beat the crush to the bus stop. We were maybe the 10th in line. The kids were fabulous. I enjoyed them. I enjoyed watching them watch Fantasmic as much as the show itself. I only wish I knew how to better photograph the whole experience.

We were back in the room by 10. Joe did his nightly exercise to and from the Food Court for mug refills and whatnot. The kids and I played “I Spy” with the framed posters in the bedrooms. They’re great for this! We’d taken up playing this a lot! It was special! JayJay cracks me up. I think she’s a genius trapped inside a two-year-old’s body! Meg astounds me with her “I Spy” abilities!

By the time Joe returned, Meg, JayJay and I were asleep in one double bed! And thus, out of the ashes rises the phoenix. Our Ep-ri-cot Disaster was all but erased from our minds by our perfect day.

April 2005 WDW Trip Report: WDW w/4 Kids: 4/5/05-4/12/05 http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=794269

March 2007 Trip Report to DL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....275&highlight=
Old 04-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
LuvindisCruiser
DIS Veteran

Oh, what a wonderful day !!
I knew your little pep talk would do them in !!!
I think I am prepared for some whining on our trip next
month, and if they get out of hand, I am going to give
them your same talk !! And, that goes double for my hubby
if he gets out of hand too !!!

(DH) (ME, can't stay off DIS) (DD13) (DS13)Pixie
Our 10yr. old twins take on the World for Spring Break-2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2424485
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2005, 08:15 AM   #3
sarahsmom73

DIS Veteran

How Funny! We did the exact same thing on 4/8!!!! We did EMH at MK and then went back swam, rested, and then headed to MGM!!!! That is way too funny! I guess great minds think a like!

3/89 ~ Contemporary (1st trip ever)4/90 ~ Off site,4/04 ~Easter at the Dolphin,4/05~ POP DD and Mommy trip!11/05 ~ Thanksgiving at POP!!!11/07 Thanksgiving at the Dolphin!Our 1st cruise Double Dip at CC 8/08, 4/09 ~ BWI Surprise trip with all of us!!,3/10 Gi-gi's Redo at the Swan, 6/12 DCL 8nt NYC

Old 04-17-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
minmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvindisCruiser
Oh, what a wonderful day !!
I knew your little pep talk would do them in !!!
I think I am prepared for some whining on our trip next
month, and if they get out of hand, I am going to give
them your same talk !! And, that goes double for my hubby
if he gets out of hand too !!!

I wonder if WDW has hubby-sitting services? lol...

April 2005 WDW Trip Report: WDW w/4 Kids: 4/5/05-4/12/05 http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=794269

March 2007 Trip Report to DL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....275&highlight=
Old 04-20-2005, 12:53 PM   #5
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmate
The kids were fabulous. I enjoyed them. I enjoyed watching them watch Fantasmic as much as the show itself.
This makes it all worthwhile, right? So glad your day turned out better! Thanks for the reports...

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool
Old 04-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #6
minmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettechick99
This makes it all worthwhile, right? So glad your day turned out better! Thanks for the reports...
Thanks! Fantasmic was truly a highlight I'll carry with me forever. Even if we see it a million times, I'll always remember that time as "the time" I saw the magic in my kids' faces!

Old 04-25-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
PratersloveDW

"Some day my prince will come..."

Oh wait...he DID and I MARRIED HIM!!!

Sounds like you and your family had some pixie dust fall on you over the night! Thanks again for a great report!

BOO!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: