Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
minmate
I can show you the world... Don't you dare close your eyes!
I mostly just like the pretty colors

MINMATE'S TRIP REPORT: Day 2 (Pt.1) Lions & Tarzan & Mickey, Oh My!

MINMATE’S Trip Report: Pre-trip Drama… I think I’m Gonna Be sick… http://www.disboards.com/showthread....95#post8284795
MINMATE’S Trip Report: (Day 1) I Need A Vacation! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....21#post8284821
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 2 (Pt.1) Lions & Tarzan & Mickey, Oh My! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....35#post8288435
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 2 (Pt.2) Visiting WDW-One Potty At A Time! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=792642
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 2 (Pt.3) Magic Kingdom Nirvana
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....61#post8301761
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 3 (PT 1) POOL Is One Letter Short of POO!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=792687
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 3 (PT 2) Don’t Rain On My Parade!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=792750

ME (minmate)
DH -- Joe
DD6 – Cali
DD5 – Meg
DS4 – Buddy
DD2 – Jay Jay
4/5-4/12 – 7 nights at Pop Century

WEDNESDAY 4/6 FIRST FULL DISNEY DAY!
Ring, ring, ring… I realize I am in Disney! I realize it is only the first full day of vacation! Yay! Still lots of fun ahead! Answering the call, I remembering hearing that Stitch was going to be on the phone along with Mickey. Okay, whatever. I’d set the phone in the kids’ room too, so they could hear it. Cali is up and happy and excited. She listens to the call and thinks it’s cute. She also thinks she’s special because she’s the only kid that ended up hearing it today. Bouncing out of bed, I turn into Mary Poppins singing, “It’s another beautiful Disney Day! Get up, get up, get up… zip a dee doo dah!”

With the moppets all awake, we get dressed without incident. Some minor scufflings about why are we going to Animal Kingdom instead of Magic Kingdom. I try briefly to explain that AK will be less crowded and earlier in the day is a good time to go there, before it gets too hot. I remember I’m talking to preschoolers and I give up. I realize I’ve lost my sunglasses. I simply can’t go without them. Cali is wearing my lime green hat for shade (she has glasses so she can’t wear sunglasses to shade her eyes). Oh, I forgot to mention, Joe bought himself a new hat last night. It was a nice navy blue with a patriotic Mickey on it. After an infinitesimal amount of time in line to simply buy sunglasses and postcards, I happily meet up with my family in the AK bus line. Oops. I forgot that starting around 9 a.m. this bus also stops at the water park. Oh well, after a 20+ minute bus ride, that seemed more like a “HALF AND HOUR” we arrive at AK, about 9:45 a.m. The lines are long at security and the ticket gate. We hadn’t used our tix yet. We went through Rainforest Café and were the only ones there. Joe laughed when he saw the finger scanning thing. He said that’s exactly what he’s been trying to explain to me that he was installing at work this past few weeks – only theirs is a full hand thing in lieu of a time clock punch. Good, we get how to use the finger scan. Not so scary. We head over and get a multi-day stroller rental. I think it turns out to save us an insignificant amount of money but the bigger part is we didn’t have to stand in the line to pay everywhere. We always go to jump to the “pick up your stroller” line.

We have a PS at Breakfastasaurus and get right in. Great, right? We get a good seat with lots of space around us near the door. After juggling plates for six people and kids wandering the buffet, Joe and I make our way back to the table. We lose track of JayJay. In a momentary panic I race back toward the buffet two rooms away. This restaurant is kind of broken up into the front room, a large room to the right, a long narrow buffet room that turns to the right after that and another dining area after that. Off the front room by the main door (where we sat) there are two more smaller dining areas, each with only about 6-8 tables a piece. JayJay saunters out from the buffet area, casually waving hello to all the people at the tables as she passes them. She must really think she is a Princess! She doesn’t even bat an eye when she sees me. Panic! Okay, now that all parties are accounted for (really this was maybe 30 seconds!) I realize we will need to have a better plan of attack at the buffets from now on. Normally, we are more organized but today, we were just hungry. We also learned here that the chairs are extremely slippery. JayJay normally sits on chairs but this was no good. She spilled her milk, fell off the chair once and nearly fell off of it several more times. Our server was sparsely available so we just had her sit on our lap. 30 minutes later we’d wolfed down our food and were now stuffed. We had yet to see one single character. As he does in his usual fashion when he’s bored, Buddy starts up… he’s cold, he’s bored, he wants to go on a ride. It wouldn’t be so bad, but he delivers this litany with such dramatic flair, arms flailing, teeth gritting, face contorting into a smart-alecky pout. We meander in and out of the restaurant and I admonish myself for the fleeting thought of how easy it would be to just walk out and not pay for our meal. Oh, I would never… besides. I’m sure Disney could track us down somehow. They have your name on the table assignment anyway. So, not a good idea! Finally, some characters make their way into our dining area. Pluto is here and Buddy’s whines morph into glee. We watch Pluto make his way up the row of tables, about five, and start his way down the row we were in (1 or 2 more)… We’re next… wait… What the heck? Pluto turns into one of the smaller private areas and totally skips us! The kids are deflated, annoyed as we have yet to ride any rides and we’ve been in this restaurant for nearly an hour. Somehow, I get them to hang on and SLOWLY but surely, all the characters make their way to our table. We saw Pluto, Goofy, Mickey and Donald. It was a cumbersome wait and disappointingly minimal interaction. I’d read they like to rush you out of here and I was somewhat counting on that. I just felt like I was making all the wrong picks this vacation and it was only the first full day. Despite our miserable character experience dh likes the food there and said he’d be happy to go back. He was right after all. We must have just walked in after they rotated through our section; therefore, we had a long wait until they made their way back. On a funny note, the server got me with the old ketchup string trick. I truly jumped, covered my face and yelped. Everyone laughed. Joe thought I was totally gullible and Cali couldn’t believe I didn’t remember that from last time we were there. Later our server got us with the “pose for a picture and I’ll squirt you with water” trick. Again, funny. Meg did not find it so funny. She has a thing about getting squirted with water unexpectedly. Her thing is, SHE DOES NOT LIKE IT! Thankfully, she got over it.

Finally, Buddy gets to go on a ride. We do Triceratop Spin. They love it… Dino Dumbos! More potty breaks… I really wish I had taken pics of all the bathrooms we used! We probably visited just as many bathrooms as we did attractions. If we timed it right, we’d make it to Lion King. We tried to corral the kids in their strollers in that direction. Oh yeah, I forgot, we go right past the Boneyard. Well, there goes Lion King. Darn 5 and 6 year olds that know how to read and pay attention to their surroundings! Off we are to the Boneyard – a place specifically designed to wreak havoc on my blood pressure. Four kids split off into four different directions. I guard the door. Joe follows JayJay so she doesn’t hurt herself. Three seconds later Buddy is climbing the net thingy. I see Cali and Meg paired up so I don’t worry too much about them. Their pretty responsible for their age. The hard part here is trying to regroup the kids and keep them in one spot. Thank goodness our cell phones worked in there! After nearly a HALF AND HOUR in the Boneyard, the kids were sufficiently red-faced and sweaty enough to need a drink. It was getting hot out.

We hadn’t seen Tarzan Rocks yet so we figured since it was close by we’d head there. The timing was right. Joe decides to burn some of our snack points on drinks and ice cream. We didn’t know that they sell this stuff inside the theatre while you sit nice and comfy in your seat. Instead he and Cali book back over to an ice cream cart we passed earlier. I look down and JayJay is in a puddle of tears. She wanted to go with Daddy too. Now, I’m standing in line with two strollers and three kids, one who is crying – loudly. The line starts to move. I am struggling trying to get the strollers to move simultaneously but JayJay will NOT get in one. She kicks at me and pushes me away. She will not move. I can’t pick her up because she does that back arching thing and wriggles down. People start moving in front of me and push me out of the way. Thankfully, a young guy helps me push one of the strollers until we get to the stroller drop-off point. Meg is pushing the other and I’m holding JayJay. We get a good spot next to the ramps just to the right of center. Joe returns with the ice cream but no napkins! I start to relay the Drama With Mama moment we had and he decides we do indeed need napkins! No Sh@@! Are you a new parent hon?! He decides to go get them and I dread what drama will ensue. I’m left alone with the kids again! Nothing major. JayJay drops her ice cream. Cali is awesome and shares hers. We get her another one. Buddy wants a different kind. Cali trades her new one for his. She earns some more Disney Dollars for that wonderfully mature display! Way to go sweetie! Tarzan Rocks was great! I enjoyed it anyway. One of the dancers dropped down right next to Buddy. It was a priceless moment.

After Tarzan we debate on staying until the 2 o’clock Lion King show or to go take a nap. Since it was MK EMH eve, I felt naps were the priority. Buddy clearly needed one! We swing by Triceratop Spin again and blew off the rest of our AK plans (Kali River Rapids, Safaris and LK mainly) to go back to Pop. On our way out Meg and Cali say they want to do the Dinosaur ride. Huh? They were ticked at us for 2 days for taking them on that last year! No way. Let’s go! Another long bus ride back to Pop, stopping first at the water park. It’s okay though because I’d planned for this to be a slower paced, relaxing type WDW vacation with the kids. Do you smell Oxymoron here? Lol…

April 2005 WDW Trip Report: WDW w/4 Kids: 4/5/05-4/12/05 http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=794269

March 2007 Trip Report to DL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....275&highlight=

Last edited by minmate; 04-15-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
minmate

Next installment coming soon! Hope somebody's enjoying them.

April 2005 WDW Trip Report: WDW w/4 Kids: 4/5/05-4/12/05 http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=794269

March 2007 Trip Report to DL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....275&highlight=
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
tcfdick
Whose husband says she loves 'The Mouse' more than him, hmmm.. might be true

I'm enjoying them! Your kids sound like my two when they were little. I have a very mature daughter and a son who wiggled, squirmed, and wasn't happy unless he was playing or riding something.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
LtlTee
I love my Curly! (And my Trixie!)

I'm enjoying your reports very much! I love the detail.
The Boneyard gets us every time -- we never seem to be able to get past it without going in. It does seem like it's at least 900 degrees hotter in there, doesn't it?
Looking forward to the next installment!!
Old 04-15-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
LAS
Mouseketeer

I'm really enjoying them. My daughter is 20 and your report brings back memories of mine when she was little. I had my hands full with one so I know I would have never been able to do the things you do with four.
2006 - Shades of Green
2006 - ASMo Big Family trip
2007 - Pop Century
2007 - ASMu MNSSHP
2008 - Polynesian
Old 04-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #6
tubachick
DIS Veteran
Official DIS "good thread" popcorn supplier

Thanks for sharing, I am looking forward to #3... keep em comming!!
POP 10/12**CR 5/12**POP 2/12**POP 10/11**POP 7/11**POP 3/11**WL 1/11**WL 12/10**POP 10/10**CR 08/10**CSR 07/10** POP 05/10**POP 02/10 ** WL 11/09**WL 08/09**POP 06/09**POP 03/09** ASM 1/09**YC 8/08**ASM 4/08 **ASM 10/07**WL 9/07**DL/PP 4/2007**DCL 3/2007 ** CBR 3/2007**YC 8/2006**CBR 3/2006**CR 8/2005 ** WL (Honeymoon Suite)2/2005**WL(DISNEYMOON Concierge level) 4/2003**ASM 12/2000**ALS 1/2001
LAST! IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE!
Hail thee Babylonia, the goddess of women and all things fertile, and the landmark of the bathroom
Old 04-15-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
Krispe
Ahhh... Disney.

Keep 'em comming! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-15-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
thinkpinktink
Earning My Ears

I am really enjoying reading about your trip!!! It looks like you had your hands full. Keep them coming, can't wait to see how the rest of your trip went.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #9
aplejax76
Mouseketeer
I have to think of something witty to say.....Think.... think...think. UGGG. I have nothing.

So excited for the next one!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:52 PM   #10
dismom9761
DIS Veteran

I am loving your report!I went last week with my 4 !
Old 04-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #11
psmomma
Mouseketeer
Hello, My Name Is Julie and I am a Target Addict!!!

I am loving your trip reports. Keep them coming!

Thanks
Old 04-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #12
krismom
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Smile Wow!!!

I am tired just reading this.... I have 4 kids of my own (6, 4,4 and 2) and this is EXACTLY the way our trip went last Dec. We are going back this summer- Is it like the labor pains, you know that you don't really remember the pain?!

Can't wait for the rest of the report.....
Old 04-15-2005, 08:08 PM   #13
minmate

It must be like labor pains, because dh has a great memory for this kind of stuff be he too, is still game to give it another try. I think you learn something each time and hopefully are better off for it the next time! Not that I'm happy to know that others have experienced some of the same miseries, but I am glad to have someone to commiserate with... someone who knows my pain!

Old 04-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #14
sters
Enjoys visiting resorts at WDW
Likes the idea of getting the boat with a catered dinner

We live parallel lives! I only have 3 kids, but it sounds the same. I quickly realized that family-style buffets, while having less selection, is far less stressful on families like ours! Try the princess one in Epcot or at the Land next time and I promise you it will be better. THEY bring the food TO YOU and no balancing plates or upset kids because one parent, their suddenly FAVORITE parent, has left.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:51 PM   #15
MichelleTO
Mouseketeer

wonderful trip reports, anyone who has lived through a Disney trip with kids this age can relate. I love the way they are written and that your DH seems to forget things like napkins for icecream!!!!!! Can't wait to read the next ones.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: