Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2005, 10:33 AM   #16
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

sorry about that - my first link is to skyauction - this is an auction that you can bid on timeshares (and hotels) - the timeshares just say 7 days - the hotels can say anything from 1 -3 or 1-7 or 1-14 or anything in between - I don't think these are good buys.

however most of the time the timeshares is.

the condo direct - is not an auction - you pay their price - these are all timeshares - no tour is required with either condodirect of skyauction.

the disboard link is a direct link to the rental/trade board on the Dis -

instead of renting OKW for $339 ($378 with taxes) per night for a studio - you can rent from a DVC member for around $110 (with taxes) per night Sun-thurs nights. this is at $10 a point - sometimes you find a good deal for less than $10 a point - so I also gave you the point amount 11 points per night - so you will need 55 points for your entire stay.

there are several DVC members right now who are offering their points at $9 a point - so instead of paying $550 ($10 * 55) - you would be paying $495 ($9 * 55).

however this won't work if they can't get you are reservation.

if you can wait until they have send you a confirmation reservation before sending them any money. (most owners will agreed to this - some won't)

sorry I wasn't plainner before - I can be very confusing!!!

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:41 AM   #17
Mainebound
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicKingdom05
I had an experience off site much like biz410.

That disney vacation feel wasn't their, the transporation schedule was lacking and missed the evening activities because of the van schedule. Because of all this, I will never stay offsite again.

I would never stay offsite without a car. MK05 is right that the transportation from offsite resorts is spotty at best.
Mainebound is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2005, 11:22 AM   #18
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

OKW has a studio availability - so the most you should pay is $550 for your stay.

OKW is a WDW resort - so all the on site features and stuff - you will be entitled too receive.WDW transportation (buses, boats, monrails), the extra hour early morning, and the extra 3 hours evening, charging to your ID (key), package delivery, etc.

as I say - OKW is a studio - so it includes a kitchennett area.

I think you will enjoy OKW more than Comfort Suities (my opinion - yours will vary).

After you decide come back and ask about near by grocery stores - I don't want to add to your confusion by talking about grocery stores now.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:12 PM   #19
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebound
I would never stay offsite without a car. MK05 is right that the transportation from offsite resorts is spotty at best.
I agree 100%. I'm a huge devotee of staying offsite. I think it is far nicer and more convenient but I would never do it without a car.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:31 PM   #20
pat's mom99
Mouseketeer

I have stayed both onsite and off. I have a 5 yo DS and I would defintely go for the room. We stayed at POP last year before we checked into our timeshare. I loved POP but after going to a park all day my DS was shot at the end of the day and really needed a seperate room to go to sleep in at night. When we got to our timeshare we were able to put him to bed at night and my DH and I could relax in another room. You will also say $ by getting something with a kitchen. Being able to make a quick meal really adds up and if you get a place with a washer and dryer take detergents tabs and getting your laundry done is a cinch.
pat's mom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:39 PM   #21
CherCrazy
Ears for Years
That's my hair 0 to 30 seconds

We stayed both on and off site several times before becoming DVC members. Obviously, we prefer on-site, but during budget times stayed at Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista at least 3 or 4 times.

It's a 1 bedroom suite, with kitchenette type facilities. Always clean, and the full buffet breakfast is included. The location is a plus...really close to DTD and the rest of the world, far enough away from the International Drive madness, close to restaurants, shops, back road to Universal, etc.
8/77 WDW ~ 2/79 WDW ~ 11/83 WDW ~ 12/84 WDW~ 10/91 WDW ~ 11/94 EuroDisney ~ 8/97 WDW Dolphin ~ 8/99 POR ~ 8/00 WDW ~ 8/01 DL & CA ~ 11/04 SSR ~ 6/05 HHI ~ 11/05 OKW/SSR ~ 01/07 SSR ~ 12/07 SSR ~ 10/08 VB ~ 1/09 BCV ~
CherCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:45 PM   #22
disneymom3
I think I could adjust!!
Owns a S'mores maker .... yum
I have declared a moratorium on the food/kid appliances

If you don't intend to solely focus on Disney I think you would really be wasting your money staying onsite. ( I think it is a waste of money regardless, but that is for a whole other thread!) Check out Hotelkingdom.com for some great rates too. The whole Lake Buena Vista area is very Disney feeling to me. But yes, you do have to have a car and you have to go knowing that like 80% of the drivers are tourists. Once you get the basic layout, it is okay--at this point I am just as comfortable driving around the Lake Buena Vista/Kissimee/WDW area as I am my home town. Driving and parking at the parks is not a big deal and even onsite, we prefer to have a car so we can drive if we feel like it.

Have a fun trip and let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

OH, and WELCOME to the DIS!!

And just FYI, I have bid on Sky Auction for a week when we have only stayed 5 days and just checked out early. It was still much cheaper and MUCH more space than even a value resort. (Where I can't stay because I have three kids.)
Old 02-16-2005, 10:40 PM   #23
Jeremy B.
I Can't Stop Planning!

All of you have a very big help, it is very much appreciated. I am sure I will have more questions in the next few days pertaining to things other than "where to stay."

Spiceycat, thank you for your recommendations. We ended up going with a two bedroom at Cypress Pointe Resort per your recommendation. We got what we thought was a pretty good deal at Hotelkingdom.com, $400 for 5 nights including taxes, etc. Thanks again for explaining everything to this "family vacation newbie!"
Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote