Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2004, 05:31 PM   #16
phillybeth

My left side is shorter than my right side
I agree with
My fingerprints are on file...

Music is good too, tapes or CDs. And a taped letter is a good idea, she might not have the strength to read a card or letter but I bet she would like to hear your voices.
July 76- Offsite, July 78- Poly, July 80- Poly, August 83- Poly July 92- Offsite, January 95- WL February 96- Offsite, May 98-BWV, August 98- ASMu, March 01- CR, December 02- ASMu, November 03- CSR, January 05- POFQ , September 05- AKL, April 06- POP
phillybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:44 PM   #17
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

Sorry to hear about your DH's cousin.

How about crossword puzzles or some of those hand held electronic games like Yahtzee?
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2004, 05:57 PM   #18
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

When a gentleman I worked with was in hospice, some of us went to visit. He couldn't think of anything HE wanted, but we asked the director if she had any ideas. She said that funny movies were always at a premium. They only had 6 & then watched the same ones over & over. (Many there had no family at all to visit them.)

Some of us raided our VCR cupboards & others started taping movies off of Comedy Central. The stack of tapes we sent is still being used, even though our friend is no longer there.

WalMart sometimes has DVDs in a big bin that are < $10. Things like Abbott & Costello, Red Skelton, Carol Burnett would be good in addition to the movies.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:14 PM   #19
chyam
Where is that LL Bean catalog when you really need it
I always feel like eeyore!

How about some books on tape? Like they have at Cracker Barrel and in the book stories, this way she could just listen and not have to concentrate so hard on reading.............maybe even a lap desk.........it has a pillow on one side and a surface for writing or what ever on the other.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:05 PM   #20
Lynn CC
DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISer that realizes that there may be MORE than one TF!
If she can't be on a boat, wants to be at Disney World!

So sorry to hear this
You are so thoughtful to try to make her last days a litttle brighter!
I've had 2 people in my immediate family die of cancer(my dad and my sister) and the things they liked most were...

A prayer angel...from Hallmark. They are a set of prayer angels really cute and they have a nice saying that goes with them that is very comforting.
A messager of some sort. They get so sore and ache all over, so if you can find a gentle messager I'm sure that would be nice.
Some Christian music if she is religious, it will be nice to hear comforting words about God, there are so many nice choices now.
Or one of those sounds machines...rain/sea/forest etc.
Believe it or not a nice basket of goodies (you could have them sent or make some yourself and send them)..., because she may have a craving for good, junkie things to eat esp. chocolate, if she still has an appetite.
They also liked pictures that people sent of their families with notes, so maybe you could make up a little note with what's been going on with you and your family and some pictures to go along with it, even pictures of your house, pets etc anything of interest.

Oh, and really soft, cuddly stuffed animals (did she have a dog or a cat over the years?) maybe a stuffed one to cuddle with. It doesn't matter her age, my mom is 82 and loves her stuffed dog when she is in the hospital!

That's all I can think of for now,
{HUGS}
Lynn CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 07:23 PM   #21
grinningghost
Has a thing for the Swiss Family Treehouse
Once a Yankee, always a Yankee I guess
I can't wait to step on it
whatever ling-er-ree was, it sounded like something fun!

I'm so sorry to hear of her illness. I've never had someone close to me in hospice care, so I can't be much help. I tried to think of what I would want, and to be honest, I really don't know. I think I would like some inspirational reading. I've seen lots of books of that type in the bookstores. Something comforting. It's very kind of you to want to make her happy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: