Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #31
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Leaning Palms

During our Typhoon Lagoon day we decided to grab lunch there, and I think we ended up at Leaning Palms. I don't have my receipt for this one. I wasn't expecting much given the fact that it was a water park and I didn't really know what to expect.

I got the turkey pesto sandwich with chips (with provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, pesto aioli and choice of apple slices or house-made chips):

It's a pretty large portion - and it tasted great! The bread was definitely the highlight, as it was an herb crusted bread and worked well with the other flavors. It had cold cut style turkey, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and pesto. I really enjoyed it. The chips were good too - nice, fresh, and crisp. I'd give this an 8.5 out of 10.

DH had the chicken sandwich, also with chips (with Chipotle Ranch Dressing, lettuce, tomato and chocice of Apple Slices or house-made chips):

The chicken here was nice and he really enjoyed the chipotle ranch dressing. However, this sandwich did suffer the fate of the Disney bun - in that the thing basically just crumpled in his hands as he ate it. I don't know why Disney can't get buns that don't fall apart It was a typical chicken sandwich but everything else about it was good. He gave it a 7 out of 10.

All in all we'd give Leaning Palms an 8 out of 10! I was pleasantly surprised that water park food was so good, and honestly my sandwich was much better than the things that I've had at a number of counter service locations inside the parks. I'd love to see that Turkey Pesto sandwich offered elsewhere!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #32
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

Yum, those chips look fantastic! They certainly look fresh. Nice that you were able to break away from the standard burger-chicken nuggets even at the water park!

DH Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* (TR Here!) DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: Our Disney Wedding & Honeymoon TR***Dining Review***Our Disney Wedding Planning Journal
elphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #33
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie101 View Post
Yum, those chips look fantastic! They certainly look fresh. Nice that you were able to break away from the standard burger-chicken nuggets even at the water park!
You know, it always surprises me that so many people just want a burger or chicken fingers with french fries in theme parks. I like to go on the thrill rides but I have to have something lighter to do that! Especially in a water park, I don't want to feel bogged down with a burger in my belly!
Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #34
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

California Grill

We were very excited to be trying our signature restaurant of the trip, Cali Grill! It had recently re-opened, but DH and I had never been before so it would be our first time experiencing it anyway. We went with two other couples.

We had a reservation but when we arrived we had to wait a bit, so we went out onto the balcony to take a look at Magic Kingdom and the castle. It was a really neat view! Even though it was February and windy up there, so even with my sweater I was a tad bit chilly.

I think we waited maybe 10-15 minutes before they brought us to our table, which had been decorated in honor of our celebrations - my friend's 30th birthday and everyone doing the races!

A side note - I really loved the napkins personalized to the restaurant. I probably liked them since orange is my favorite color

I know we started with bread, but I honestly don't remember much about it except that it was very good. DH and I decided to split an appetizer, so we went with the oven dried tomato flatbread (Beefsteak Tomatoes, Mozzarella di Bufala, Aged Balsamic):

This was very nice, if a somewhat typical flatbread. But of course, we knew that when we ordered it! Not blown away but definitely enjoyable. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Right after they brought our apps out Wishes was going to begin, so we headed back out to the balcony to watch. It's really neat perspective to see Wishes from up there. And they pipe the music in so you can hear everything:

For my entree I wasn't sure what to get. Nothing was really appealing to me but I decided to go with the sweet potato gnocchi (cauliflower cream, root spinach, hazelnut emulsion, minus 8 vinegar):

So I'd never had Gnocchi before, and wasn't even sure what it was when I ordered it. But the dish sounded interesting. I have to say, I loved it! There wasn't just one part of it that stood out as being really good, it was just that everything as a whole worked well together. This is the vegetarian option so if you are vegetarian I don't think you'll be disappointed here! I give it a 9 out of 10.

DH ordered the pork two ways (Grilled Tenderloin, Goat Cheese Polenta, Mushrooms, Lacquered Belly, Applesauce):

He loved this and gave it a 9.5 out of 10. He said it was absolutely delicious. I asked him if he remembered the two different types of pork and if he could comment on that, and his response was "one was delicious and the other was even more delicious." So there you go

DH opted not to get dessert, but I had seen pictures of something I had to have: the sundae sampler! (Frangelico Toffee, Reverse Root Beer Float, and "Banana Split")

So starting on the left is the banana split. This was the one most like a typical ice cream sundae, but in a mini dish. It was very nice. The real start though, was the reverse root beer float. So basically what this is, you have root beer flavored ice cream and vanilla flavored soda to pour on top. It was incredible! I don't know what made it so good but I just loved it and wished it was a whole lot bigger! I took a small sip of the vanilla soda by itself to see what that was like and it was excellent - I would totally drink it! Finally, we had the toffee. I'm not a huge fan of toffee but I ate the whole thing, so it certainly wasn't bad! I'd give this dessert a 9 out of 10, but if they had a bigger reverse root beer float on its own it would get a 10 out of 10!

Overall we give Cali Grill a very strong 9 out of 10. We both loved our entrees and my dessert, and the app was very good too. Combine that with the nice atmosphere and the chance to watch Wishes and you've got one awesome restaurant!

Here's the price breakdown:

Soda: $2.99
Gnocchi: $32.00
Sundae sampler: $12.00
Tomato flatbread: $13.00
Pork: $37.00

Total before tax and tip: $96.99

Total including tax and auto 18% gratuity: $120.76
Old 09-03-2014, 12:26 AM   #35
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Loving your reviews! Probably should not have read them when I was hungry though.....

Especially happy to see a positive CG review - seemed like it wasn't getting great reviews right after the reopening.

I'm not a dessert person really, but that sampler at CG looks and sounds amazing!!!!!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #36
elphie101

I'm glad you loved Cali Grill! It's nice to see good reviews coming out of there as I know (like everything on the DIS when things change ) that reception has been mixed. The pork two ways in particular looks divine!

DH Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* (TR Here!) DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: Our Disney Wedding & Honeymoon TR***Dining Review***Our Disney Wedding Planning Journal
Old 09-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #37
ach222
Mouseketeer

I LOVE gnocchi! Your dish looks amazing - I've always thought I'd want to try the pork at CG but your choice would almost sway me (not like I'm eating there anytime soon haha)

Great review
Old 09-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #38
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Loving your reviews! Probably should not have read them when I was hungry though.....

Especially happy to see a positive CG review - seemed like it wasn't getting great reviews right after the reopening.

I'm not a dessert person really, but that sampler at CG looks and sounds amazing!!!!!
I guess in some ways it's good that I hadn't eaten there before, because I didn't have any set things that I liked previously that are missing. I think a lot of people just don't like change That dessert was just so good.

Quote:
I'm glad you loved Cali Grill! It's nice to see good reviews coming out of there as I know (like everything on the DIS when things change ) that reception has been mixed. The pork two ways in particular looks divine!
I know DH loved the pork! I'm totally with you on the mixed reviews probably being in part just due to change. As I said above I hadn't been before so I had nothing to compare it to, but we were impressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach222 View Post
I LOVE gnocchi! Your dish looks amazing - I've always thought I'd want to try the pork at CG but your choice would almost sway me (not like I'm eating there anytime soon haha)

Great review
I'm really glad I picked the gnocchi because it was so delicious! Definitely something I'll look for on other menus now!
Old 09-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #39
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Lovely review of the CG. Everything looks amazing, and the view is one that just can't be beat!
Old 09-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #40
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
Lovely review of the CG. Everything looks amazing, and the view is one that just can't be beat!
Yes, it has definitely become a favorite now!
Old 09-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #41
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Be Our Guest Lunch

For lunch we had to make a FP+ reservation for our favorite restaurant, Be Our Guest! We had an earlier lunch reservation, around 11. That was fine because we like an early lunch!

DH ordered the Tuna Nicoise Salad - Warm seared tuna steak with chilled green beans, potatoes, olives, roasted bell peppers, tomatoes, and hard boiled eggs:

If you've followed any of my other dining reviews, the chances are that you've seen this dish before. It really appeals to DH and he enjoys it. He rated it an 8 out of 10. Obviously he likes it because he got it last time too!

I had the Carved Prime Chuck Roast Beef Sandwich - served warm on a baguette with horseradish sour cream and Pomme Frites:

I got it without the horseradish sour cream because I don't like horseradish or sour cream, haha. I think it was unfortunately a little bland due to the lack of that, but it was still quite good. I just happened to enjoy the turkey sandwich I had last time better, but I'll give the roast beef a 7.5 out of 10. I imagine if you enjoy horseradish it would be really good! And the fries are good, though I still really wish that at lunch they would serve the seasoned fries that they have at dinner

For dessert we shared The Master's Cupcake- chocolate sponge cake topped with Lumiere's special grey stuff:

If you didn't know, the grey stuff is basically like a cookies and cream/oreo frosting. It's really good! I'm happy that you can now get the grey stuff at dessert with a cupcake, even if you aren't celebrating something. It used to be served on its own, but it goes much better with the chocolate cake. I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Overall we love Be Our Guest for both lunch and dinner. It definitely blows the other counter service places out of the water in MK! We give it an 8 out of 10.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #42
elphie101

Delicious!! I definitely want to try BOG lunch, if only for the cupcakes - I think it's so silly that the same exact cupcakes cost more during dinner! It's good to see the food was still good, even if your sandwich was a little lacking

DH Me

Old 09-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #43
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Delicious!! I definitely want to try BOG lunch, if only for the cupcakes - I think it's so silly that the same exact cupcakes cost more during dinner! It's good to see the food was still good, even if your sandwich was a little lacking
Lunch is definitely good, especially if you can't get one of those dinner reservations! I love the desserts there
Old 09-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #44
SunnieRN
DIS Veteran

YUMMY!! Everything looks so good with your wonderful photography!! I have read from others that the reverse root beer float is outstanding and they've also made the comment they wished they could just get a full sized one for dessert. Maybe CA grille will notice the comments and start to offer it that way. Looking forward to more.

Thanks eandesmom!!!
SunnieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #45
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Ohana

For dinner on our Magic Kingdom day we left the park to head over to the Poly for dinner at Ohana! I'd eaten here once before but DH never had. Unfortunately the monorail was down, making it a little more difficult getting to and from our reservation, but we left plenty of time and made it early anyway.

The last time I was here the service had been very slow, with a lot of time between courses. So I was settling down for a long, drawn out meal - but this time they came out very fast! We barely had enough time to finish one course before the next arrived. I really want to say we were done with this meal in under an hour. It was crazy!

We started off with the "Welcome Bread," which I think is some sort of coconut bread? Either way, I enjoy it but it sounds better than I think it tastes. It's nice but the tropical flavor is pretty subtle and I was really looking for a strong tropical flavor.

Up next was the salad. I know it was changed over a year ago, so I had tried the "new" salad last time I was there and I absolutely loved it. I don't know if they changed it back or what, but I didn't enjoy it as much this time as I had the first time. It was still decent, but last time the salad was my favorite thing that I ate! I do enjoy the (papaya?) fruit that's in there.

Up next was the plate of potstickers and honey coriander wings. These were all very tasty too. I always enjoy potstickers, and the wings were surprisingly good for me! I'm not a huge wings person, but the flavor on these was really nice. Sorry the pic is a little blurry!

Then came the veggies and noodles. This was probably my favorite part! When I was at Ohana a year ago everything was overseasoned on the veggies - way too much pepper! But it wasn't a problem this time. The noodles tasted amazing. I could've eaten just a plate of that! My favorite part of the meal.

And then came the meat skewers! I hear they've gotten rid of the chicken now? Which seems odd to me, as everyone usually likes chicken. Of course, that was followed by the pork, steak, and shrimp. It was all quite good. Sorry the pics look kind of gross - can anyone ever get a nice looking pic of the meats at Ohana?

And finally, the grand finale - the bread pudding! I always enjoy this more than I expect to, because I'm not a huge bread pudding person. But the flavors here are really good. This was actually DH's favorite part of the meal - which is saying something, as he usually isn't a huge desserts person!

Overall, I'd give this trip to Ohana an 8.5 out of 10. It's always a good meal, though a lot of food for me! I think DH really enjoyed it too.

The price was $37.99 per person. With tax and before tip, we paid $80.92.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: