Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #16
racefanof88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero_FL View Post
Agreed. I think this is for people with a lot of throw-away money who don't want to wander around the parks much. Seems weird to go if you don't want to go though, kwim?

If it included dinner, I would consider it.
I have to agree with your point about "throw-away money". Disney should just say "For those who feel they are too rich to rub elbows with the riff raff, spend an extra $100 plus dollars, per person, to avoid them!" I don't know any one person who can eat $100+ dollars worth of desserts. I don't know any one person who can eat $100+ dollars worth of any food!!

I would say I am shocked at the blatant money grab, but I'm not!! After reading about the debacle during the Villain's party at DHS I would say Disney is trying to recoup the monies they had to refund guests for this hard ticket event having been an epic fail two years in a row!!

24 TRIPS AND COUNTING
racefanof88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #17
racefanof88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherlostprincess View Post
yea.... was on the phone for 75 minutes just to give them 210 dollars for the event for 2 people
After the event please post how it went. I want to know what kind of mini desserts are worth $100+ dollars per person. I hope you have a good time, but personally I would have taken that $210 dollars and had the Chef's Domain package at Cítricos, then went to MNSSHP!

24 TRIPS AND COUNTING
racefanof88 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #18
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefanof88 View Post
After the event please post how it went. I want to know what kind of mini desserts are worth $100+ dollars per person. I hope you have a good time, but personally I would have taken that $210 dollars and had the Chef's Domain package at Cítricos, then went to MNSSHP!
To each his own but $200 on top of $70 to $80 per ticket that's already been paid for what's supposed to be an exclusive event, no way I'm paying that. Like you, I'd rather take that $200 and spend it something else - say extend my vacation an extra night or save it for next year's trip. $200 - that's a night at a moderate resort.

I think the writing is on the wall that extra fees are coming to FP+. Pay extra to reserve more than 3 fastpasses per day, pay extra to make advance fastpasses in multiple parks, pay extra to make more than one fastpass per day for tier one attractions at Epcot and DHS, etc.

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #19
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherlostprincess View Post

yea.... was on the phone for 75 minutes just to give them 210 dollars for the event for 2 people
Hmmm...
I think my crack research team has detected the problem
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #20
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwibih View Post
I would be willing to bet that this will be a disaster. I'll be proved wrong of course.......

The decision makers at this company have lost their **** minds
No they haven't...
The are simply greedy and know that they are shooting fish in a barrel

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 08-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #21
Whatsthegoodword
Mouseketeer

You people are a trip. Disney is a for profit publicly traded corporation. You don't want to spend $100 on dessert - don't go! I hope they sell out the tickets to this event so they can continue to grow as a corporation, and continue to exist. Because you know what happens when corporations stagnate? They get bought and split up.

GO DISNEY!

Whatsthegoodword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #22
jtwibih
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthegoodword View Post
You people are a trip. Disney is a for profit publicly traded corporation. You don't want to spend $100 on dessert - don't go! I hope they sell out the tickets to this event so they can continue to grow as a corporation, and continue to exist. Because you know what happens when corporations stagnate? They get bought and split up. GO DISNEY!
So Disney's existence is reliant on overpriced/underwhelming hard ticket ticket events within hard ticket events?

Come on let's be a little realistic here. I think most of the people on here want more effort from Disney before forking over large sums of cash.

You are right that we shouldn't go if we don't want to drop that kind of money but I think it's totally fair to be critical of the effort and the price tag that goes along with it.

Past: Apr 2014 - DCL; Nov 2013 - BWV/AKV; Apr 2013 - DLH; Nov 2012 - AKV; Nov 2011 - WL; Nov 2010 - WL; May 2010 - CSR; Jun 2009 - AKL; Apr 2008 - AKL/WL; Jul 2007 - SS; Aug 2006 - POFQ; Aug 2005 - POFQ; Aug 2004 - offsite
jtwibih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #23
wallrock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You people are a trip. Disney is a for profit publicly traded corporation. You don't want to spend $100 on dessert - don't go! I hope they sell out the tickets to this event so they can continue to grow as a corporation, and continue to exist. Because you know what happens when corporations stagnate? They get bought and split up.

GO DISNEY!

Generally speaking there is some irony in your statement. Not necessarily directed at you or anyone specific, but those that make the statement of 'Disney is a business...if you don't like it, then don't go' are some of the same people that express frustration when Disney doesn't build anything new.

If customers continue to shell out the cash for this repackaging nonsense then Disney won't do - at least from a park perspective - what you claim in your last statement: grow and avoid stagnation.
wallrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #24
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwibih View Post

So Disney's existence is reliant on overpriced/underwhelming hard ticket ticket events within hard ticket events?

Come on let's be a little realistic here. I think most of the people on here want more effort from Disney before forking over large sums of cash.

You are right that we shouldn't go if we don't want to drop that kind of money but I think it's totally fair to be critical of the effort and the price tag that goes along with it.
The constant struggle that has developed on threads such as this...

Accountants vs idealists...with some grey in the middle.

There used to be something called the "right" way...it was thought out, made sense; and was fair to all parties involved in varying degrees.

There's no reason why the course can't be reversed or at least tacked into the wind a bit...but it requires widespread thought, effort, and principle.

I know...not hard to peg me

Old 08-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #25
ahoyle
Mouseketeer

By that same logic...if Disney raised the price of hamburgers to $20 in all park, you would actively want everyone to continue to buy hamburgers for the success of the company? Then they would raise them to 22, and so on. I don't understand the cheering for the success of a company in situations like this.

I have been a Disney person for basically my whole life, I am 37 and we just moved about 2 miles away from Magic Kingdom. Seeing Disney do things like this makes me actively want to avoid spending money there. I've had a series of frustrations over the past 4 months, between magic bands, the continual headache of parking at DTD, and all these premium events.

If Disney would quit trying to find ways to milk every penny out of every guest, and start doing again what made them great, it would be a step in the right direction. The other day we were at the character spot in Epcot, where they hae the wall that shows the history of the park. Its hillarious to see it get to around 2005 and come to a stop. Up until then new attractions were added every year or two.
ahoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #26
Whatsthegoodword
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
The constant struggle that has developed on threads such as this...

Accountants vs idealists...with some grey in the middle.

There used to be something called the "right" way...it was thought out, made sense; and was fair to all parties involved in varying degrees.

There's no reason why the course can't be reversed or at least tacked into the wind a bit...but it requires widespread thought, effort, and principle.

I know...not hard to peg me
I agree with this! ...and I think that for the most part, Disney does that. They're not perfect, but they are constantly working to improve the parks. The big Fanta$yland expan$ion is awesome! They've heard everyone's request for more at DHS & AK - and those mega-expansions are on the way. I don't have a problem with Disney offering a premium product for people who can afford it. It just makes sense! They're not forcing anyone to pay for what some might consider an overpriced ticket. They are offering a premium experience for sale at a premium price.

It's like this: I want a Ferrari! ...but alas, it's a premium car that I cannot afford. I'm not going to get upset at Ferrari for selling cars I can't afford. Likewise, I'm sure that the castle dessert parties will be full of people with lots of disposable income. Why shouldn't Disney try to get a little more of their money? Maybe Disney will use a portion of the profits to improve the parks.
Whatsthegoodword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #27
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Disney will keep doing this as long as people keep forking out cash.

It's getting a little out of hand, I don't like the direction disney is headed in, pretty soon you're going to have to pay extra for a new attraction.

I understand they are a for profit business and not a charity, but they've done a really good job of sucking every penny they can out of every guest that walks into the parks.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #28
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:

GO DISNEY!

There's a thin line a corporation must walk, when perceived as greedy, it sometimes turns customer's away.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #29
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
They're not perfect, but they are constantly working to improve the parks.
I don't think they are actively working to improve WDW, I think they are actively trying to find ways to squeeze every penny they can out of guests at WDW. I havent seen a lot of improvement in the last 5 years. The leadership lacks the one thing that made the Disney brand what it is today, imagination.

Quote:
The big Fanta$yland expan$ion is awesome!
For the amount of money they spent, I disagree, its a massive let down in my opinion, and from the other reviews I've read, I'm not alone in that.

Quote:
They've heard everyone's request for more at DHS & AK - and those mega-expansions are on the way.
They never finished AK and have let DHS completely fall apart, its rather annoying that we've had to wait this long, and still have to wait a few more years before the announced and unannounced (if they happen) projects are done.

Keep in mind that Avatar was announced in Sept 2011, almost 3 years ago, honestly, that project should been done by now. The projected opening date is 6 years from the announcement. That's absurd.

Quote:
Why shouldn't Disney try to get a little more of their money? Maybe Disney will use a portion of the profits to improve the parks.
That's pretty naive of you, we all know that money is going to pad their bottom line. If they cared about putting money back into the parks, they would have been doing a better job of it the past few years. Leadership at the parks and resorts side of the business is severely lacking.

Iger get a massive thumbs up from me for the studio side of the business, but when it comes to the parks and resorts, he gets the complete opposite review from me.

Last edited by ChipnDale79; 08-26-2014 at 02:30 PM.
ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #30
jtwibih
Mouseketeer

Disney is putting up record profits right now.

NFL is nice to look at but has little that will keep me in there outside of a long wait at 7DMT. As long as it took to complete that thing, I expected more. Ditto on all the info the previous poster said.

If you can afford to do these premium events and find value for your money, good for you. I am certainly not criticizing those who really think this is worth it. However I don't believe this is the best Disney can do to enhance the experience. It takes almost no effort (cost, long term investment, actual thinking, etc) so this is why they continue to do it. Their target audience is not the guy like myself who comes once a year. They are after first timers and int'l visitor. Sure they want me buying DVC but again I don't consider this a real shot at getting me excited about the future.

Past: Apr 2014 - DCL; Nov 2013 - BWV/AKV; Apr 2013 - DLH; Nov 2012 - AKV; Nov 2011 - WL; Nov 2010 - WL; May 2010 - CSR; Jun 2009 - AKL; Apr 2008 - AKL/WL; Jul 2007 - SS; Aug 2006 - POFQ; Aug 2005 - POFQ; Aug 2004 - offsite
jtwibih is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: