Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #391
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I dunno, Tim...

I'm getting that weird feeling from you on this...

Are you serving me up a coctail of "assumptions, exaggerations and a twist of Koolaid" right here...
Like Isaac from the love boat?

Yet again, here you are with your sarcasm (I hope) or down right rudeness.

Frozen is without a doubt the biggest thing disney has done in 20 years, the proof in the pudding on this one.

I'm not a defender of Disney at all, but it's pretty clear that Frozen is different than anything Disney has done in a long long time. These kids want the stuff, and they havent been able to get it fast enough.

We were at the playground yesterday, a little girl was loudly singing "Let it Go", and of course my 2 year old son asked her if she wanted to build a snowman.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #392
monique5
DVC - BLT & VGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post

Frozen is without a doubt the biggest thing disney has done in 20 years, the proof in the pudding on this one.

I'm not a defender of Disney at all, but it's pretty clear that Frozen is different than anything Disney has done in a long long time. These kids want the stuff, and they havent been able to get it fast enough.

We were at the playground yesterday, a little girl was loudly singing "Let it Go", and of course my 2 year old son asked her if she wanted to build a snowman.
Lol! Love it! My students, seniors, go around singing Let it Go, Do You Want to Build a Snowman & Love is a Open Door.

monique5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #393
umichigan10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic

Geez...
Here we go with the Disney defense

I didnt say that frozen was not:
A. A complete success
B. a huge fan hit/reaction
C. A good/borderline great movie according to most

What I'm cautioning...is that you cannot measure any entertainment peace's longterm impact in a short term measure...

I'm tough...but I think it takes multiple decades...

Mickey Mouse more than likely wasnt a revered icon known to every soul on earth with a TV and eyes... One would have to assume...in 1935

The Beatles Werent "the undisputed greatest band in History" in 1972 (John had to get short first)

And Star Wars faded the mid 80's and only became the real force it is after time for reflection passed and new fans of old material (along with more study and appreciation for what it actual meant to movies, merchandising, and entertainment) started in the early 90's.
And then George pooched it up a little...but I digress

What I'm a saying is that...eerily like avatar...box office numbers...Increasingly hyper inflated by the day...does not decree "cultural pehenomena"

Avatar...not an icon, not lasting, not Impactful, never given a second thought except In two Hollywood offices...

The chance that frozen is a slam dunk legacy is still small currently...though unlikely to crash/disappear because of the Disney/princess strength behind it.

And is it just possible that CMB has entered his "cheap score before the skydive" mode? That overlays and firework parties doesn't mean that Disney analysis is "sure fire phenomenon"...but perhaps "cheap, easy cash for the stock price"
It happened with Eisner... They were just too cheap and tapped out creatively at the time to pull anything good off.
This.

I think its far too early to see if it has staying power equivalent to lion king or beauty and the beast. That's why I think converting Norway to a ride is jumping the gun WAY too early imo.

As for Dvc in the moderates, if it comes to pass I stand by the waiter in the French restaurant for Ferris buehlers day off: "I weep for the future."
2008 Saratoga Springs
2011 Bay Lake Tower
2012 April-All Star Music w/ band
2012 July- Bay Lake Tower

"Somethings wrong, shut the light, heavy thoughts tonight, and they aren't of Snow White"-an example of Metallica and Disney going hand in hand
umichigan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #394
mcjaco
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Geez...
Here we go with the Disney defense

I didnt say that frozen was not:
A. A complete success
B. a huge fan hit/reaction
C. A good/borderline great movie according to most

What I'm cautioning...is that you cannot measure any entertainment peace's longterm impact in a short term measure...

I'm tough...but I think it takes multiple decades...

Mickey Mouse more than likely wasnt a revered icon known to every soul on earth with a TV and eyes... One would have to assume...in 1935

The Beatles Werent "the undisputed greatest band in History" in 1972 (John had to get short first)

And Star Wars faded the mid 80's and only became the real force it is after time for reflection passed and new fans of old material (along with more study and appreciation for what it actual meant to movies, merchandising, and entertainment) started in the early 90's.
And then George pooched it up a little...but I digress

What I'm a saying is that...eerily like avatar...box office numbers...Increasingly hyper inflated by the day...does not decree "cultural pehenomena"

Avatar...not an icon, not lasting, not Impactful, never given a second thought except In two Hollywood offices...

The chance that frozen is a slam dunk legacy is still small currently...though unlikely to crash/disappear because of the Disney/princess strength behind it.

And is it just possible that CMB has entered his "cheap score before the skydive" mode? That overlays and firework parties doesn't mean that Disney analysis is "sure fire phenomenon"...but perhaps "cheap, easy cash for the stock price"
It happened with Eisner... They were just too cheap and tapped out creatively at the time to pull anything good off.
I'd argue that two of your examples you're dead wrong. The Beatles were greatly considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest rock band in history, when Lennon was shot. They had already broken up by that point, in their very short ten year lifespan.

Second, Star Wars was big in the 90s, and continued to do so through to Prequels. Lucas was a master at re-releases, whether it be via VHS, DVD, etc or theatrical. Just look to the video game and sci-fi novels, and I think you're way off base here.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #395
monique5
DVC - BLT & VGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
Following this year's trend of adding premium experiences to nearly every Walt Disney World event, this year's Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party will debut "Villains’ Sinister Soiree: A Wicked Takeover of Cinderella Castle."

For an additional $99 per person, in addition to the ticket for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, you will get to experience a character hosted dessert party inside Cinderella's Royal Table, along with preferred viewing for Boo-to-You parade and HalloWishes fireworks.

Via. Wdwmagic.com
This will be my 1st time spending Christmas @ Disney. So 1st time going to MVMCP. Do you think/any rumors of something like this for MVMCP?

Thanks for all of your updates!

monique5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #396
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monique5 View Post
This will be my 1st time spending Christmas @ Disney. So 1st time going to MVMCP. Do you think/any rumors of something like this for MVMCP?

Thanks for all of your updates!
If this one does well, then absolutely. They won't miss a chance to make money on an upcharge event.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #397
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
If this one does well, then absolutely. They won't miss a chance to make money on an upcharge event.
It's a premium event for an already premium event. Pete the owner of this dis said he was on the phone for over 40 minutes trying to get tickets for this.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #398
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic

Him...
I dunno, Tim...

I'm getting that weird feeling from you on this...

Are you serving me up a coctail of "assumptions, exaggerations and a twist of Koolaid" right here...
Like Isaac from the love boat?

Frozen is not anywhere near a "cultural phenomenon" yet...that's way too strong.

It was a smashing success...but this cultural phenomenon label gets thrown around here WAY to much.

The Pixar movies are not a cultural phenomenon, neither are the marvel franchises... I still submit that Harry potter isn't there and faces difficult odds...

There are three things Disney owns that are "cultural phenomenon":
The name
The mouse
The Star Wars

All else fall short. Not bad or unsuccessful...just not that.

And as far as frozen specifically goes...
the thing that made it a smash... The cold weather theme...is going to get old on little girls and flame out...my prediction.

Great, successful movie...Disney is on one hell of a hot streak...particularly with the ladies...
But I don't like the "p" word used here.

And back to tangled...I see the light is 10x the song/scene that the weird alanis morrisette Ballard "let it go" was.
It is most definitely a cultural phenomenon, and this status has nothing to do with the box office. It has everything to do with the reaction in our culture. Just perusing articles and YouTube shows the strength of its effect. Go to any group of kids and mention one line from the movie and see what happens. Or for that matter, parents. Many writers have used the term and backed it up with facts. Now I agree that it hasn't yet passed the long term test of time. But every indicator so far points in that direction. Watch what happens with the special in Sept, OuaT, and Christmas. It ain't over till its over, and it ain't going to be over for a long, long time.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #399
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post

And again...

Nothing can be anything but serious and pro-Disney on what amounts to a hobby in a public forum...

Gentle ribbing...and that's all it was (I don't serious think Tim where's a red jacket and does the double point) ...is lost on the fun police.

With all do respect...you failed to read anything other than the throw away joke before the opinion. It would seem.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #400
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjaco View Post

I'd argue that two of your examples you're dead wrong. The Beatles were greatly considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest rock band in history, when Lennon was shot. They had already broken up by that point, in their very short ten year lifespan.

Second, Star Wars was big in the 90s, and continued to do so through to Prequels. Lucas was a master at re-releases, whether it be via VHS, DVD, etc or theatrical. Just look to the video game and sci-fi novels, and I think you're way off base here.
You actually agreed with both my examples...

Though I put "TV" on the Mickey Mouse one instead of "movie ticket"...that was a complete bonehead move on my part.

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #401
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post

It is most definitely a cultural phenomenon, and this status has nothing to do with the box office. It has everything to do with the reaction in our culture. Just perusing articles and YouTube shows the strength of its effect. Go to any group of kids and mention one line from the movie and see what happens. Or for that matter, parents. Many writers have used the term and backed it up with facts. Now I agree that it hasn't yet passed the long term test of time. But every indicator so far points in that direction. Watch what happens with the special in Sept, OuaT, and Christmas. It ain't over till its over, and it ain't going to be over for a long, long time.
I guess my point/take can be summed up that I believe cultural phenomenon is the result of a formula that HAS to include staying power over time...not 10 months.
It's like "PI" in the formula for area of a circle...can't yield a result without it.

(Can't wait for "what's with your holier than thou references to math!?!"...guess I deserve that? I'm told...???)

Old 08-26-2014, 03:05 AM   #402
jcnewton
Never as happy as I am in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I guess my point/take can be summed up that I believe cultural phenomenon is the result of a formula that HAS to include staying power over time...not 10 months. It's like "PI" in the formula for area of a circle...can't yield a result without it. (Can't wait for "what's with your holier than thou references to math!?!"...guess I deserve that? I'm told...???)
Gonna have to agree. In 50 years, will it be as revered as Sleeping Beauty? Sure, it's making money hand over fist....but so did Beanie Babies. I think we're still in fad territory, here. There could be another billion-dollar, flavor of the week right around the corner.

jcnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:41 AM   #403
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
It's a premium event for an already premium event. Pete the owner of this dis said he was on the phone for over 40 minutes trying to get tickets for this.
It seems ridiculous enough...but as you point out, they can easily manipulate a large captive audience.

The anecdote is disturbing on so many levels

Old 08-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #404
circus4u
Mouseketeer

'Frozen' is gold for Disney: 3Q profit rise 22 percent

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news...2_percent.html
circus4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #405
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus4u View Post
'Frozen' is gold for Disney: 3Q profit rise 22 percent

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news...2_percent.html
I caution the acceptance of profit, revenue, and stock price figures as completely definitive.

Profitable companies have lost their soul and future in a blink of an eye in past instances.

Besides... Read the important part of that article...the last quoted paragraph..and interpret it for what it is.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: