Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 AM   #121
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderE View Post
They'll probably confirm it at the last minute in case some folks want to re-schedule their trips to avoid a Maelstrom closure!
This could be the final straw for someone, you never know.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:24 AM   #122
TraderE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
This could be the final straw for someone, you never know.
Not sure how long it will go down for but if Disney was to also close Soarin to install the new video at the same time, Epcot would be a wasteland.
TraderE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #123
csm101
EH

People need to accept the fact that something is cooking. A refurbish or a Frozen take over who knows but when there's smoke there's fire. I do hope WDW honors the spirit of teh World Showcase and keeps the Norway culture intact......Wait .... millions of dollars in toys or culture??? hmmmmm I still i have may answer. "Ladies and gentlemen boys and girls...the cast of Frozen, with an Viking!" Nailed it.
csm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #124
djm08150
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBackDad
Okay, I'll say it. I like the idea. I don't mean to be contrarian; but, I think a little bit of "Frozen" is exactly what the World Showcase needs. I always hate to see any attraction removed; but, I have to agree with another poster in that the ride just seemed confusing and horribly dated. Epcot as a whole is in desperate need of another Tier 1 attraction. Yes, Epcot and the World Showcase are more adult oriented to begin with; but, it is still Disney. Smaller kids, particularly girls can get bored with Epcot relatively quickly. I have no doubt the Imagineers can tastefully blend a Frozen ride into the rest of the Norway pavilion and breath a little fresh air into a stale area. My guess is some people just need to work on their suspension of disbelief a little bit. The pavilions have always been Disneyfied versions of the countries they represent, not scale replicas of the country. I don't see a talking snowman and a princess or two ruining the Norwegian feel of the pavilion. Quality wise, as long as the ride is re-done along the same lines as SDMR and they don't just slap on some fresh paint and TV screens I think a Frozen ride will be a huge addition by subtraction.
Completely agree, I'm glad someone had the words to say it. We can't lose sight that this is Walt Disney World, it is for the children and the child within ourselves. Disney must cater to that, it can't all be about culture and drinking around the world. At a certain point they need to re-purpose and move forward. Even if there is other room for improvement, and other empty buildings that are collecting dust (not pixie dust). If they can make something draw guests in by utilizing a current trend, they will do it.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #125
ThurlFan
Grim Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm08150 View Post
t this is Walt Disney World, it is for the children and the child within ourselves.
Even if true, that doesn't mean that every corner needs to be populated with characters from the movies. World Showcase has always been a place for all ages. If folks don't recognize the opportunity to enjoy and learn about other cultures, that's not Disney's fault.

There are no characters at the Smithsonian, yet people take their children there. (and they might learn a thing or two)

There are no characters at zoos, yet people take their children there. (and they might learn a thing or two)

So why the supposition that people wouldn't enjoy an afternoon/evening at World Showcase in the absence of characters?

It also isn't true that something is "less Disney" just because there aren't any characters to be found. "Disney" means or (used to anyway) providing highly detailed immersive experiences (many based on movies, and a great many that are not) that transport you to another time and/or place. Which the World Showcase pavilions do a fine job of without help from animated heroes and princesses.

/soapbox
ThurlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #126
djm08150
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurlFan

Even if true, that doesn't mean that every corner needs to be populated with characters from the movies. World Showcase has always been a place for all ages. If folks don't recognize the opportunity to enjoy and learn about other cultures, that's not Disney's fault.

There are no characters at the Smithsonian, yet people take their children there. (and they might learn a thing or two)

There are no characters at zoos, yet people take their children there. (and they might learn a thing or two)

So why the supposition that people wouldn't enjoy an afternoon/evening at World Showcase in the absence of characters?

It also isn't true that something is "less Disney" just because there aren't any characters to be found. "Disney" means or (used to anyway) providing highly detailed immersive experiences (many based on movies, and a great many that are not) that transport you to another time and/or place. Which the World Showcase pavilions do a fine job of without help from animated heroes and princesses.

/soapbox
I'm not saying characters are necessarily needed, but from a business stand point, Disney is going to capitalize on anything that's popular.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #127
LaidBackDad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurlFan View Post

/soapbox
While this is an impressive rant, I have to wonder if it may be a little bit over the top or if we are even talking about the same place. I would say, it is hardly fair to say every corner will be populated by characters from movies. It may be a valid argument if it weren't for Downtown Disney, multiple golf courses, a motor speedway, virtually every signature restaurant in WDW and too many other experiences to name. There is not a lack of adult oriented experiences at WDW. Animal Kingdom is probably a better zoo than most of the zoo's in the USA and I have seen plenty of zoo's who have their own furry mascots to entertain kids when the animals aren't enough. If you are honest, you will have to admit WDW and the Smithsonian have a slightly different purpose and demographic they are trying to attract. I can relate to someone who is disappointed that a favorite childhood experience may not be around much longer to share with their own children; but, it won't detract from the adult experience at WDW.
LaidBackDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #128
ThurlFan
Grim Ghost

Quote:
I'm not saying characters are necessarily needed, but from a business stand point, Disney is going to capitalize on anything that's popular.
I support this, if done in a manner that makes sense. In general, I'm not opposed to working elements of Frozen into a ride at Norway. My fear is that the ride will be an overly simplified (and hastily thrown together) retelling of the story (based on the limited space) and that the pavilion will become one large Frozen gift shop.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #129
wallrock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Let's qualify that statement..

Disney is going to capitalize on anything that's profitable.

Disney has had a lot of things that were popular that didn't go the attraction route, or didn't go as far as they could have.

I'm not saying that I disagree with you, but as others have mentioned no one's certain yet how far the Frozen juggernaut is going to go. It may only go as far as the next princess movie.
wallrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #130
mcjaco
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymomof4 View Post
I predict you will be getting many replies here that will say.... it doesn't move from the "rumor" to "definite" category until it's officially released by WDW.
If this came from a bus driver, I'd say it's as good as gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andeesings View Post
I'm confused by this. I mean is Disney just pissed at the Norwegian government isn't paying up?

It makes no sense to put a Frozen ride- Frozen- NOT SET IN NORWAY- into the Norway pavilion. Yeah, there are two Norwegian folk songs in it, and there the connection ends.

Does Maelstrom need a rehab? I guess? Does Epcot need new attractions?? DEFINITELY. Is this the way to do it? Probably not. That being said the Frozen stuff at Hollywood Studios was great and certainly made that park into more of a "whole day" thing for us.
Norway hasn't been involved with any sponsorship in years. No sponsorship = no money exchanging hands.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #131
ThurlFan
Grim Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBackDad View Post
While this is an impressive rant, I have to wonder if it may be a little bit over the top or if we are even talking about the same place. I would say, it is hardly fair to say every corner will be populated by characters from movies. It may be a valid argument if it weren't for Downtown Disney, multiple golf courses, a motor speedway, virtually every signature restaurant in WDW and too many other experiences to name. There is not a lack of adult oriented experiences at WDW. Animal Kingdom is probably a better zoo than most of the zoo's in the USA and I have seen plenty of zoo's who have their own furry mascots to entertain kids when the animals aren't enough. If you are honest, you will have to admit WDW and the Smithsonian have a slightly different purpose and demographic they are trying to attract. I can relate to someone who is disappointed that a favorite childhood experience may not be around much longer to share with their own children; but, it won't detract from the adult experience at WDW.
I will concede the Smithsonian point, if you are willing to stipulate that Downtown Disney, golf courses, speedway etc. are outside the park gates. I don't want WS to be adults only or "for adults". I want it to be for families; but that doesn't mean saturating it with characters. (I don't feel it's anywhere near saturated now, my concern is the apparent shift in philosophy and what it means for the future). That's the easy way out. The World Showcase Players in UK and Sergio the juggler in Italy are great examples of being entertaining for all ages without the crutch of character autographs.

I like the characters. A lot! But they are so much better suited to MK and DHS. It's only my opinion and I recognize that, but character presence in World Showcase should be subtle and not become the main attraction, which is what I fear for down the road. The Aladdin meet-n-greet at the back of the Morocco pavilion is a great example (leaving aside the fact that the movie was set on a completely different continent ) The characters didn't used to be out on the main walkway. Now that they are (e.g. Alice, Belle) folks are lining up for autographs and spending less time in the pavilions. That brings me down a bit.

I never did Maelstrom as a child, and never considered it a must-see as an adult. I certainly can see the need for an update. Because I'm not the kind of person who doesn't want things changed - a Disney Park should certainly not be a museum, as someone once said...
Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #132
crazymomof4
DIS Veteran

From a 2012 article: Epcot was Disney World’s second park, which opened its doors in 1982, featuring staple rides and attractions with an emphasis on culture and tradition in order to educate patrons.
“Epcot is and has always been a theme park of discovery for guests curious about the people, places and progress of the real world,” Epcot Vice President Erin Young told BizJournals. “Epcot’s experiences make science, technology and world cultures fun, and the richness of these experiences inspire guests to discover things they didn’t know before.”

Whatever changes are made to Maelstrom, I just hope they stay true to the original concept of Epcot as stated above. Magic Kingdom is fantasy... Epcot is the "real world" park. I like it that way!

9 nights. First time in a Deluxe for us!
crazymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #133
wallrock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymomof4 View Post
From a 2012 article: Epcot was Disney World’s second park, which opened its doors in 1982, featuring staple rides and attractions with an emphasis on culture and tradition in order to educate patrons.
“Epcot is and has always been a theme park of discovery for guests curious about the people, places and progress of the real world,” Epcot Vice President Erin Young told BizJournals. “Epcot’s experiences make science, technology and world cultures fun, and the richness of these experiences inspire guests to discover things they didn’t know before.”

Whatever changes are made to Maelstrom, I just hope they stay true to the original concept of Epcot as stated above. Magic Kingdom is fantasy... Epcot is the "real world" park. I like it that way!

Disney began to slide away from that concept when Nemo showed up in the Living Seas, Horizons got converted into a thrill ride and Donald showed up in Mexico.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #134
crazymomof4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallrock View Post
Disney began to slide away from that concept when Nemo showed up in the Living Seas, Horizons got converted into a thrill ride and Donald showed up in Mexico.
Doesn't keep me from hoping that the "bleeding" stops there.

9 nights. First time in a Deluxe for us!
crazymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #135
wallrock
Mouseketeer

I hope so as well, but I don't think there's a bandage big enough to stop this bleeding.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: