Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
jbethel77
Earning My Ears

Why no official announcement for Maelstrom rehab?

Not really posting this for another debate on what they should do or are doing with the ride..We've been to Disney a handful of times, but never fit Maelstrom in our plans. This year we were going to make it a priority.
Now I keep reading that people aren't able to book Fastpass+ for it all the way in to October. That to me..and everyone else seems to be proof that a rehab will be happening.

Question is: why hasn't Disney officially announced anything yet? Seems like very short notice for guests going in Sept. Our trip is in November...and by far won't be ruined by no Maelstrom. We would just like to know ahead of time...along with everyone else i'm sure!
jbethel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 AM   #2
jcnewton
Never as happy as I am in Florida

Good question...as a lot of these rehabs are known months in advance. I always check the rehab schedule on DIS to know what we need to work around, etc. I wish they'd announce something though and end all the speculation. Like, if you're going to bum us all out, do it fast....rip the bandaid off.

jcnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2014, 02:26 AM   #3
o0quirkygirl0o
just a little mischievous

Probably because it is less of a "rehab" and more of a replacement. We likely will never see Maelstrom as we know it after it closes for it's "rehab".

Me DH
o0quirkygirl0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
ChoppityChops
Mouseketeer

I'd imagine the biggest reason is that they're still not sure of timing.

If they're rushing to throw something new in there (good or bad - no judgement here), but they're not ready yet, it makes sense not to commit to a timeframe yet, until they've got a firm handle as to what exactly needs to be done work-wise. But, they can mitigate people being mad it's closed, by at least not having people show up on closed days thinking they're about to ride with their fast pass, only to discover it's closed.
ChoppityChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
Andrew015
WL Guru

IMHO, this is just Disney S.O.P. We've seen similar occurrences over at Wilderness Lodge, in which permits were filed and obtained in January for work to occur in 2014, so obviously, they had a rough idea (perhaps even firm dates in mind) MONTHS prior to the announcement of the Silver Springs pool closure. Yet they wait until the last minute to make the news public, with most guests having already purchased airfare, room and park tickets. I'm sure there are a variety of reasons why Disney chooses this path, but it doesn't give guests much in the way of options, especially given all of the advanced planning now required (dining, FP+, yada yada yada...).
Old 08-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
mousedvc
Earning My Ears

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

They have been dragging their feet on all expansion as long as possible. Meanwhile Universal just does it right away.

No one except the disney board knows why. But its stestemic.
mousedvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousedvc View Post
They have been dragging their feet on all expansion as long as possible. Meanwhile Universal just does it right away.

No one except the disney board knows why. But its stestemic.
Universal is putting out money all over the place. Disney likes to take longer on projects because it stretches the budget across multiple years this is a common business approach. Disney didn't used to do this very often now they do it for everything because ether just don't want to spend the money it would take to get it done in two years when they can save money and do it in four. Also as for universal they don't announce everything right away either. Universal has construction on what most think is going to be a king kong attraction but universal won't comment on it. It also isn't a very fast project like some of the others, people are expecting a summer 2016 opening. Universal also has a lot of construction going on outside its parks right next to cabana bay which is said to be another resort or and expansion of a resort. They haven't commented on this either. These projects aren't transformers. I think universal isn't pushing extremely hard as they did with transformers and diagon alley. These additions after those will just be added bonuses of sorts and will take longer than it did to build previous things.

Disney was set on opening Disney Shanghai in mid to late 2015. Lots of delays have been happening and now its being reported they could be looking at a spring to early summer 2016 opening.

With Maelstrom Disney wants to play it safe. They aren't giving out FPs incase it goes down. October 1st is the start of Fiscal 2015 which means a new parks and resorts budget, which means thats when we could see an announcement officially.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
MrsHappilyEverAfter
Earning My Ears

Most recent rumor- this will be announced during the Frozen TV special in early September. No source, just read it on another board.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #9
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHappilyEverAfter View Post
Most recent rumor- this will be announced during the Frozen TV special in early September. No source, just read it on another board.
I saw that too, when does disney release details on its park and attractions on tv never...

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 AM   #10
disney world dreamer
DIS Veteran

its my opinion that since nothing has been officially announced its all still RUMORS and rumors are not always true.
that is just my take on it.
i'm not trying to create an argument or anything.
its just that i've observed that not everything you hear is true not even when its a CM that tells you.
for example CM told me 6yrs ago that dreamfinder was coming back but that hasn't happened.
another told me 4yrs ago that the monster's inc door room coaster was in the process of being built at HS but that hasn't happened.

i'd be very sad if melstrom closed and norway turned into another frozen experience.
its the world showcase for crying out loud. you can't just make a country something completely different.
however with that said i'd be less upset if the rehab was more like POTC how they simply added some captain jack here and there but still kept the original aspects.
so toss in some frozen but keep the basics of maelstrom.

again these are just my thoughts.

Last edited by disney world dreamer; 08-23-2014 at 01:28 AM.
disney world dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
StLDisFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney world dreamer View Post
its my opinion that since nothing has been officially announced its all still RUMORS and rumors are not always true.
that is just my take on it.
i'm not trying to create an argument or anything.
its just that i've observed that not everything you hear is true not even when its a CM that tells you.
for example CM told me 6yrs ago that dreamfinder was coming back but that hasn't happened.
another told me 4yrs ago that the monster's inc door room coaster was in the process of being built at HS but that hasn't happened.

i'd be very sad if melstrom closed and norway turned into another frozen experience.
its the world showcase for crying out loud. you can't just make a country something completely different.
however with that said i'd be less upset if the rehab was more like POTC how they simply added some captain jack here and there but still kept the original aspects.
so toss in some frozen but keep the basics of maelstrom.

again these are just my thoughts.
Maelstrom is one of those I wish they wouldn't touch (just behind SE as my favorite attraction at Epcot), but with the trend Disney has taken the past couple of decades (removing, refurbing, "updating" and butchering our favorite rides), I am trying to force myself into accepting that NOTHING we hold dear is safe anymore.

That being said, I think it could use some updates, and if it follows along the lines of the POTC refurb (another top 5 at MK for me), I suppose I could tolerate a few AAs to make the crowds happy. I would simply prefer that whatever they do will aid and not take over the ride/story.

Mercifully I am going next week and I plan to ride it a few more times than I normally would. Rumors, truths, whatever, I just want to enjoy this ride and show it some love!
StLDisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Wild4Walt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
I saw that too, when does disney release details on its park and attractions on tv never...
Maybe they are going old school and doing it like Walt did back in the day. Disney would have a captive audience AND with a group that would already be on board ( kids who already love the movie and it's music ).

From a marketing standpoint - not a bad idea.

That is, if any of it is actually true.

POR Oct 14 / POP Oct 12 / Poly Oct 12 / CBR Nov 11 / POR Oct 10 /Pop May 10/Poly Nov 09 / CBR Mar 09 / BWI - Feb 09 / BC- Oct 08 / POFQ - Feb 08 / SSR- Dec 07 / POR - Oct 07 / Poly Oct 05
Wild4Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:35 AM   #13
msd1776
NebraskaDisneyFan

If they incorporate Frozen elements.....I hope they can somehow increase capacity. The last three times we were there (oct, mar, may) the wait time was longer than I wanted to wait. Anyhow a girl can wish!
msd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: