Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
seascapemvy
Earning My Ears

What is going on with Flamingo Crossing and the western land?

Reading the water mitigation plan it looks like the land just to the west of flamingo crossing will now be all buildable. That is 527acres plus the original Flamingo crossing. Why would they do this if Flamingo crossing is dead as 1974 reported. Does Disney have a new plan for this land?

There were several area reported in the mitigation that would now be build a on and very interesting with the rumors reported on the Dis about possible expanding of Avatar. The land across the street from AK parking lots could be used for employee parking opening up the area by the lake that was talked about on the show.

There were several other area that will be usable but I can't figure out anything that could be done with them that is interestin at this time.

http://www.sfwmd.gov/ePermitting/Det...onNo=140801-15

Last edited by seascapemvy; 08-09-2014 at 09:47 AM.
seascapemvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
chapie1968
Mouseketeer

I don't know.

But what I do know is 1974--------> 2014 = 40 years of technological advancements
chapie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Disney filed a bunch of permit recently and bought some land surrounding the property they has already owned. I do know tho for Flamingo Crossings Marriot filed permits to build two hotels there months ago and nothing has been said since and no construction has started. The original flamingo crossing idea will probably never happen.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Wdwvacationdad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapie1968 View Post
I don't know.

But what I do know is 1974--------> 2014 = 40 years of technological advancements
Think the '1974' was a reference to a user from another Disney forum...? There's a reliable source with 1974 in his handle, and has been chatting about the wetlands permits.
Wdwvacationdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Just drove out Western Way a couple of hours ago. Absolutely no sign of any construction at all. Not even survey markers.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Just drove out Western Way a couple of hours ago. Absolutely no sign of any construction at all. Not even survey markers.

1) I will second that!
2) We use that as a "secret" back-road route to WDW when hwy-192 is clogged. *
3) Can't tell any life.
4) But, some areas are behind berms and trees, so one never knows . . . .

* Unless before about 7:30am, hwy-192 (West of Orange Lake Blvd)
is terrible due to the 3rd-lane construction.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascapemvy View Post
Reading the water mitigation plan it looks like the land just to the west of flamingo crossing will now be all buildable. That is 527acres plus the original Flamingo crossing. Why would they do this if Flamingo crossing is dead as 1974 reported. Does Disney have a new plan for this land?

There were several area reported in the mitigation that would now be build a on and very interesting with the rumors reported on the Dis about possible expanding of Avatar. The land across the street from AK parking lots could be used for employee parking opening up the area by the lake that was talked about on the show.

There were several other area that will be usable but I can't figure out anything that could be done with them that is interestin at this time.

That land is still a mix of un-suitable and marginally suitable for construction. What has changed with the permit they have filed is that Disney is asking to be able to build on up to 350 acres of wetlands beyond the 599.94 acres that they are already allowed to build on. They also want to be able to choose which wetlands they use at the time of permitting a project instead of having to designate it ahead of time. It's possible that the land beyond Flamingo Crossing will remain undeveloped to help offset the wetlands they may build on. They are also purchasing a piece of land in southern Osceola county for the purposes of preservation.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascapemvy View Post

Where did you hear rumors of Avatar being expanded?
Old 08-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
Where did you hear rumors of Avatar being expanded?
One of the people on the Dis' Disunplugged podcast Dustin a former AK employee had said that he heard that Avatar would be larger than just the Camp Minnie Mickey area. They have an access road back there and they would push that back to make the area bigger for avatar. I can see this as a possibility but I don't think it will be much larger than the area that was there before. I also think from aerial images that are out the area looks bigger because its all cleared where as before it wasn't. On wdwmagic someone did comparison images with Carsland and they were about the same size.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

WDWMagic has a blog posted today which says site preparation for the two new Marriott hotels has started:

Site preparation underway at Flamingo Crossings for new Marriott hotels:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/flamin...ott-hotels.htm

crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
One of the people on the Dis' Disunplugged podcast Dustin a former AK employee had said that he heard that Avatar would be larger than just the Camp Minnie Mickey area. They have an access road back there and they would push that back to make the area bigger for avatar. I can see this as a possibility but I don't think it will be much larger than the area that was there before. I also think from aerial images that are out the area looks bigger because its all cleared where as before it wasn't. On wdwmagic someone did comparison images with Carsland and they were about the same size.
The Avatar construction is definitely extending beyond the CMM area, it appears to be going well down into the area behind Rainforest Cafe. I doubt they would move the access road. Just moving the road wouldn't gain them much space, and the road is right next to a drainage pond which would also have to be moved. Also the permits filed with the South Florida Water Management District shows the project limits just beyond the drainage pond and shows no modifications to this pond.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw View Post
WDWMagic has a blog posted today which says site preparation for the two new Marriott hotels has started:

Site preparation underway at Flamingo Crossings for new Marriott hotels:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/flamin...ott-hotels.htm
Here are the plans for what that area will look like. There will be two hotels, Spring Hill Suites (normal hotel), and TownPlace Suites (Extended Stay).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: