Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #31
GoofyontheHiSeas
Do you know the Nutmeg Man.. The king of whats left

Day 6 Ketchikan Bears!

The next morning we arrived in Ketchikan. We were very excited because we had booked an excursion through Southeast aviation to take us to Anan Creek to see bears. In our 2006 trip we never did see any bears so this time we wanted to make sure that we did. We arrived in port earlier than the 11:45am time that Disney had us in port. Jim from Southeast had called and left a message to call him as soon as we got into port. We called and he came and picked us up and took us back to their dockside office. We then boarded the 6 seat Beaver float plane. We were in the air by 11 AM. It was a 45 minute flight North to Anan Creek. It was a 1st time for all of us and a floatplane and was quite an experience. We landed in our pilot pulled the plane up to the shore where we were met by a forest ranger that took our permit and went over some bear facts with us.

Coming in for a landing

Anan Bay

I want to thank my friend Andy for getting this shot since I forgot to.

The trail

Bald Eagles everywhere

Yep, the salmon are running
GoofyontheHiSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #32
GoofyontheHiSeas

Day 6 Ketchikan Bears!

We then started on our 20 minute walk through bear country up to the observation post. The trail was primarily boardwalk with a few spots of dirt but a very easy walk. We were amazed at all the bald eagles that were in the area. There was a chance that we could run into a bear on the trail the likely we do not. We arrived at the viewing platform and checked in with the 2nd forest ranger. A tip is to sign up for a half hour down in the photo blind at creek level. It wasn’t that crowded while we were there so we were able to view from here twice. This creek is where pink salmon spawn from mid July to late August. The area is also by permit only during this time and there is a maximum of 60 people per day that can visit. This is the only area in Alaska that you will find both black bears and brown bears together. It was truly unbelievable watching bears along the creek fishing for salmon.

At one point when we were down in the photo blind a brown bear came underneath us and grabbed a salmon. He then went about 15 to 20 feet away and ate it.

At another point we were up in the observation deck and a young black bear grabbed a piece of salmon and took off up one of the trees. It was a young eagle sitting in the tree and really didn’t pay attention to the bear.

Spotted our first bear

Eagles and bears

This appeared to be an older bear that had seen a lot of action. My girls nicknamed him/her Chubs.

I see you

Chubs gets a salmon

Three year old grizzly right under us in the blind

When our time was up we headed back down the trail again without running into any bears. And our floatplane showed up and took us back to Ketchikan. It was really an exciting day.

Mountain Goats

The Wonder from the air
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #33
GoofyontheHiSeas

Day 6 Ketchikan Palo

That evening my wife and I took our daughter to her first Palo for dinner. As usual it was a wonderful dining experience.

My DD started off with the Fritto di Calamari

While my DW partook in the Mozzarella and Plum Tomatoes.

I opted for the Tuscan White Bean Soup with Prosciutto and Parmesan Cheese

We ordered the Wild Mushroom Risotto to share just because we could

My DD and I both got the Filet with Gorgonzola and port wine sauce

DW went with the Oregano and Parmesan Crusted Rack of Lamb

We confused DD when we ordered Chocolate Soufflé with vanilla Bean and Chocolate Sauce before dinner came. She thought they were going to bring it out with dinner.

A couple of the masks in the entry way

Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #34
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

Your photography is absolutely incredible. The experience with the bears had to be amazing.

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report
Double Dip on the Disney Wonder ~ September 2014 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
marciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #35
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

I'm so happy I found your TR!! I have enjoyed reading it from the begining. You're pictures are AMAZING!!!! I love all the little details you have provided about your trip. I can't wait to hear more, thanks for sharing.

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #36
TheChanClan
Earning My Ears

I am truly enjoying your trip report thus far! My family and I are going on the Sept 1st cruise to Alaska and reading about your trip is a great preview as to what's to come. Your pictures are quite good! Seeing all the delicious looking food only reinforces the need to pack my running shoes so I can get some exercise while on board.

I am not too familiar with the Anan Creek Bear Observatory but after seeing your pictures I'm fascinated! I wish we could do this! Unfortunately, no one else in my party is willing to go on a float plane, so I think the excursion is a no go. Too bad, it all looks incredible!
HKDL - Mar14
DCL - Dream to Caribbean Feb12, Wonder to Alaska Sep14
TheChanClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 AM   #37
mylael
Earning My Ears

I love all your pictures, especially the bear pictures, and even more especially the one with the bear & the bird together!

mylael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #38
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Fantastic pictures! So far you've do e everything I would do on a trip to Alaska....can't wait to read the rest.

Jill in CO
Old 08-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #39
GoofyontheHiSeas

Day 7 At Sea

Sorry for the delay but I had to go back to work to pay the bills. Let me finish this up. Thank you all for the kind comments.

The next day was a sea day and a bunch of us had booked the private dining room at Palo for brunch. If you are following along we had just finished dinner there the night before Always love brunch at Palo because there are so many choices. Since we had a 10am reservation we were the first ones than in. We showed up early and I asked if I could go in before they opened to take a FEW pictures before they started disappearing. Most of the are labeled in the buffet section.

Appetizers

Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #40
GoofyontheHiSeas

Palo Brunch Main Courses

Spicy Sausage Pizza

Blue Cheese, grapes and port wine pizza

Margherita Pizza

Goat Cheese and sun dried tomatoes pizza

Regular Eggs Benedict

Pancakes with blueberries

Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict

Eggs Florentine

Oysters Rockefeller

Chicken Parmesan

Seared Tilapia

Frittata
Old 08-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #41
jsbgeo
Earning My Ears

Such wonderful photos! What type of camera do you use? What level zoom does it have? I'm planning to get a new camera when we go on an Alaska cruise. Looks like you were able to get so close with your camera zoom!

jsbgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #42
GoofyontheHiSeas

Palo Brunch Desserts

Desserts

After brunch you can imagine that we were pretty much useless. We were sailing through another interior area of Canada during the morning.

The rest of the afternoon was spent packing and getting ready for disembarkation the next morning. Getting off the ship was fairly easy and going through customs was pretty much a breeze. We were off by 10 o’clock and had arranged for transportation to the airport. We had a 1 o’clock flight so we have a little bit of time to grab something to eat. We flew from Vancouver to Seattle and then Seattle back to Burbank.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #43
lauriegs
proud AKV and BCV owner

love this! awesome photos!!! we have a mid July cruise booked for 2015..trying to learn every thing I can! I second the camera question - I have a Nikon 5200 dslr, and wonder if I need a bigger zoom lens.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #44
GoofyontheHiSeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriegs View Post
love this! awesome photos!!! we have a mid July cruise booked for 2015..trying to learn every thing I can! I second the camera question - I have a Nikon 5200 dslr, and wonder if I need a bigger zoom lens.
Thank you. About the bigger lens it would depend on what you have now. The longest that I had was a 200mm but on your camera that would be a 300mm. That was plenty of length for most shots.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #45
linetbo
Mouseketeer

Hi, can you tell me the Amtrak station in Seattle, I see 2 station on the website. Thanks!

linetbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: