Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #136
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Still here too. :-)

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #137
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

So back to the parking lot of the Johnson Space Centre, with us hastily repacking our suitcases in the trunk of our SUV. We were very sad to say good bye to the shorts & flip flops we *thought* we would be wearing on our last day. Instead I think there may have been thoughts expressed about stopping at a clothing store to buy long johns! Once the summer clothes and the highly dangerous 30+ml bottles of liquids had been safely tucked into the luggage, we locked up and hightailed it into the Centre.

Stepping in was mind-blowing, so much to see at once....

A friendly docent came over to greet us and give us the tips on what to do and see.

"Make sure you take the tram tour" he said.

No worries...top of my list!

This caught our eye and drew us over like a magnet!

We can go inside it? Brilliant!

I don't know if the kids were as awestruck as we were. They're growing up in an age where space travel isn't science fiction any more.

Dh and I were a little more nostalgic. Even though I am <ahem> too young to remember to even remember the moon landing, he isn't.

After coming out of the shuttle we were pleased to realize there was a small food court around the corner, which meant we now knew what we were doing for lunch later.

Based on pun value alone, we decided we just *had* to eat here:

Not to mention, we love Chinese food.

But before we got to that, I wanted to do the tram tour.

"Why don't we wait?", says dh, "it might warm up."

"No, now. before it gets busier"

In retrospect this might be one of those times where I should have listened to DH (shhh....don't tell him that).

There was no line up so we walked out and got onto the tram, close to the back.

It was cold.

And you know what? When the tram gets moving, it gets even colder!

Too cold to take hands out of pockets for photos even.

Except for this one.

Cold enough for ya', honey?

Once we got to the mission control building, it was a relief to go inside and tour around.

In fact, we may have just stayed and hid out in there if they hadn't insisted we go back out and onto the tram to continue the tour. Meanies.

Now to the major bummer and the most ugh annoying part of the whole trip. ...There was a group of tourists ahead of us on the tram, obviously all part of one tour group and apparently non-English speaking. No problem with that. But apparently because they couldn't understand the tour spiel, then they didn't care if anyone else did because they were LOUD. Obnoxiously so. Disgracefully so when we stopped for a moment of silence in the Memorial Grove. They weren't silent. Someone finally (may have been dh) yelled at them (hey, we were cold and cranky too!) which lowered their volume temporarily.

Yep, sometimes I really ought to listen to my husband.

Wow! Who said that?!

Finally we arrived at the rocket park. By this point we had no feeling in our toes so our enthusiasm for space travel was fast disappearing. Then we realized there was a building there so we tried to look like we were interested in the ones outside:

Then we hightailed it into the building.

It wasn't noticeably heated but at least we were out of the wind!

<sob>...thinking of Jamaican beaches....

We dilly-dallied a bit to let the obnoxious group get ahead of us. We could jump on any tram to get back to the Centre so we wanted to make sure we lost them in a hurry!

Then we turned our attention to the main attraction: Saturn V!

We spent quite a bit of time walking around and just trying to take in the immensity of it all!

And of course, cartwheeling...

We were starting to get hungry so finally jumped on a return tram
(thankfully the obnoxious group had long disappeared!)

Look...an authentic Longhorn!

Heh, are they always so...unfocused?
Disney Wonder, Western Caribbean, November 2013 Trip Report ("Even better than the first cruise!", says 12 year old daughter )

Last edited by FergusBC; 08-05-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Because there's no way I can get it right first time :(
FergusBC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #138
pepe3penelope
Princess Ariel at Heart

As usual, loved your update! Can't wait to show your space center pics to DH.

pepe3penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #139
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe3penelope View Post
As usual, loved your update! Can't wait to show your space center pics to DH.
Thank you. I wish I had more photos to post. As you can tell from my report, I do like to take pics of Every. Single. Thing! LOL.....it broke my heart to just have my phone, which rarely can focus due to <ahem> having been dropped once or twice or ten times!

We barely scraped the surface of things to do at the space center. We'd love to go back and have more time. Of course, listening to the 'Houston, we have a problem' jokes did get old really fast (Sweetie, you listening?)
Disney Wonder, Western Caribbean, November 2013 Trip Report ("Even better than the first cruise!", says 12 year old daughter )
Old 07-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #140
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

At least you got a change to look around the Space Center. There is a lot to see if you are interested, and if the weather is a little warmer....although you would be hard pressed to find that teeny, tiny opportunity of not too cold/not too hot in Houston.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
Old 08-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #141
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

Back at the space centre we were realizing there was some rumblings in our tumblies. First stop was to hit the facilities to wash up for lunch - ostensibly for hygenic reasons but really we just wanted to run our hands under warm water to defrost them!

Imagine our disappointment when we realized that the Moon Wok place wasn't open. Sigh...that left the taco place or a sandwich place (I think there was another but it was something we knew the kids wouldn't eat). K wanted tacos. I tried to talk her out of it, realizing that these would be quite different from the tacos we eat at home. She was not to be dissuaded so Dh & V went to get some sandwiches and I ordered the lunch special, which came with 3 tacos. We met up at the table and I was still trying to decide what to get. I tried a bite of one of K's taco first, worried that it would be too spicy for her. Then I ate the whole thing.

OMG! Best tacos I have ever had! 'Honey, honey...try this try this'. Meanwhile K is glaring at us for eating *her* lunch. So back to the counter to order three more? Six more? I can't remember but it wasn't enough. Eight and a half months later we still wax nostalgic over those tacos. I don't know if by Mexican food standards these would even count as 'good' or if it was just that we are just so accustomed to the bland El Paso taco kits from the grocery store but man, we'd go back in a minute for more of those tacos.

Sigh...

Now I'm hungry.

Eventually we regretfully decided that we should stop eating and try to see a bit more of the exhibits, so we waved a sad goodbye to the food court and made our way back to the main area.

We wandered through the Starship Gallery, marvelling at the exhibits. K was thrilled to be able to touch a real moon rock! They were studying the planets in her class so she couldn't wait to get back to tell everyone!

Eventually we came out at the Angry Birds exhibit. Yes, we were all addicted to angry birds so the kids and dh were checking it out.

And the kids got to drive the Mars Rover!

Okay, so not the real one...which is a good thing considering the fancy moves they were trying.

At this point I had found free wi-fi so was logging in to email my mom. When we left our car parked in her condo I had (ahem) neglected to bring the keys to her building. So even though our flight didn't get in until midnight, I had to email her to ask her to meet us in the lobby.

I was also starting to get very antsy. I wasn't looking forward to the drive to the airport. What can I say? I live on an island. Freeways and multi-level overpasses just aren't in our daily commute. So even though our flight wasn't till 5:30, we pulled the plugged on the Space Centre before 2pm to make sure we'd get to the airport in time "(in time for mommy to have a nervous breakdown", is what I'm sure my DH was thinking, tho' he denies it vehemently!)

We'd long since forgotten Mr. taxi driver's directions so we relying on Ms. GPS instead. And lo and behold, we made it with no misdirections or delays! Of course, if we didn't have all that time, there would have been all sorts of problems!

Hey look! 59 south will take us home!
Oh wait, that's probably not the sign we're looking for

The rental car drop off at the airport is super slick! No having to go into the office or anything, you just pull into the designated spot and someone came out with a remote machine to process us and in five minutes we were on our way! There's a shuttle bus from the rental area to the airport . Obviously they've been doing this for a while.

On the bus

We had a fair amount of time to wait for our flight. I don't remember any of it, but we must have. I do remember it took us a while to find our airline's check in counter. I guess they only have the one flight a day so they were in a back corner, sharing a counter with another airline.

The wait and the flight must have been uneventful. I think we were all sunk in a miasma of despair. Yep, we were positively reeking of miasma!

We had a long layover in Seattle, so spent the time browsing the stores and the food services. At least it's an interesting airport to have to kill time in. At some point, while we were waiting at the gate, apparently I dozed off. I know this because my Dh (dead man walking!) recorded it. Perhaps it was revenge for the whole 'hey, let's take a freezing cold tram tour'. At least it hasn't shown up on the Internet. Yet.

Eventually they called our flight and we started down the hall to our exit. Now, this is where it got interesting, tho' we didn't realize it at the time. Because it's a short flight on a small plane, it's one of those gates where you walk down the stairs and actually go outside to get to your plane...and of course, there's other planes there as well so you go where they point you. This was also 11:30 at night.

We found our seats and got settled in. Then we waited, then there was a bit of a kerfuffle a few rows ahead of us. Then one of the passengers grabbed her stuff and got off the plane in a hurry. Then the cabin steward came on to remind us all that this flight was going to Victoria, BC Canada and if there was anyone else on the flight that wanted to go to Yakima, please also exit the plane NOW.

See! It pays to pay attention! If there hadn't been someone else assigned to her seat she would have ended up in not just the wrong city, but the wrong country! How to explain that to the Customs officials??

Fortunately, we were on the right plane so arrived on time. However, the fact that there's two flights that arrive at our small but not that small airport right around midnight came as a complete surprise to the local taxi community . Of all the places we'd been and all the connections we had to make, this was the only time we had to wait...and wait...

and wait...

There was one taxi out there but when he found out we only wanted to go a mile, he suddenly didn't have enough room in his Prius and took the next in line.

We'll skip the part where Dh got mad at the flight crew that jumped to the front and the part where I yelled at the obnoxious 30-something that never learned how to line up in kindergarten . Polite Canadians my a**!

Suffice it to say we did finally get a cab, did meet up with mom, did get our car, and even though we were so tired that we were seeing double, we did make it home safely and in one piece!

Sigh....oh, those tacos!

And Palo...we really miss Palo...

And no on board booking to obsess over.

Back to the change jar to save for future 'nominals'....

To all those of you that stuck it out, thank you for following along and the kind comments. I hope you enjoyed it. It was certainly fun to write, if somewhat long-winded LOL! It was amazing the amount of details that we really had forgotten until it was time to type them up.

I can't wait to go on another cruise so I can hopefully be more timely on my reporting!

Sure, that's the *only* reason I want to go on another cruise.

Who am I kidding?!

Last edited by FergusBC; 08-05-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: coda
Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #142
pepe3penelope
Princess Ariel at Heart

Awwww!!! As usual, I loved reading your report!!!

I'm sad that this was your last post though.

I haven't been on DCL since June last year and I really miss being on the ship. We will be on the May B2B sailings in May 2015. I'd rather have the two short cruises without airfare than one 7 day cruise with airfare. We are lucky to be able to drive from LA to San Diego.

Take care and thank you again for your report!

Last edited by pepe3penelope; 08-05-2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: errors
pepe3penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #143
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Kudos for finishing your report. It is hard when you start to "un-remember" things. Seeing as DCL are coming back in Nov 2015 maybe you can plan another trip. This time leave enough time to sample other tacos, as I am sure that while the Space Center tacos were "good", they aren't anywhere near as good as most restaurants around here serve up.

It sounds like your journey home was so overwhelmingly exhausting....what a LOOOOONNGGGG day that was!

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, it was fun to share your vacation.

Jenny & Scott
Old 08-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #144
Poohbear 64
Mouseketeer

Great report, enjoyed it all. I think you need to start a list of your followers, so you can message us when you go on another trip. Thanks for taking us along!!

August 2014 Fantasy Western Carribean
September 2013 Wonder Pacific Coast
April 1989 Big Red Boat
23 Cruises on "other" Cruise Lines
Poohbear 64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: