Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #31
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw

A bus for each destination is supposed to come every 20 mins. Buses do not go from resort to resort, only resort to park and park to resort. And there are some now that run park to park. They run 2 hours past park closing.

All you do is at the resort is go to the closest busstop and wait for the bus marked for your park of choice. At the parks there is a clearly marked stop for each resort.
So to travel from resort to resort , I would travel to the nearest park that still has bus is running and then hop the bus to my resort. Thanks for helping simplify that for me.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #32
slzer0
DIS Veteran

That 20 minute increments is that based on the hour? So I can expect that a bus will generally be there at 20, 40 and on the hour?
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #33
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink

You're making this more complicated than it has to be. A few thoughts...there are no resort to resort buses. Just resort to parks and back to resorts. If you are at a resort, and need to get back to your resort, or any other resort, head to an open park and transfer. If you are at the Polynesian and need to get to CSR, you could bus to DTD and transfer there (very time consuming), heading to any park that is open and take the CSR bus there, or take a cab.
Transportation maps for WDW tend to be very confusing....but it's all fairly simple. If you have specific destination questions, head over to the Transportation board and ask away.....you'll get a ton of terrific info there.
Thank you. I tend to overcomplicate. There's a transportation board? OMG duh
Old 08-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #34
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slzer0 View Post
That 20 minute increments is that based on the hour? So I can expect that a bus will generally be there at 20, 40 and on the hour?
Not necessarily. There are too many variables with traffic, scooters, and people to have it quite that perfect. It is WDW's goal to have you not wait longer than 20 mins. We have rarely had to wait that long at CSR, usually not more than 10 mins. Everyonce in a while something could happen that generates a longer wait, but its not very often. They try to be adaptive with the buses based on which park is expecting the bigger crowds that day, size of the resort, etc.

You really just go to the bus stop when you're ready, there's nothing to plan and nothing complicated.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #35
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

1. Rather like city buses.

2. Sometimes overly air-conditioned.

3. CSR has its own bus but there are 4 separate bus stops within the resort itself. You can't even anticipate that you will be sitting. If the bus is full you will be standing. There are several different types of buses and they all have different seating arrangements. The newer ones, like most newer city buses, have fewer seats so they can accommodate more standees.

4. You must fold the stroller and carry it. Someone will need to hold it. Unfolded strollers are not permitted on the buses.

Quote:
No. The most you can do is anticipate that a bus will show up at some point within 20 minutes. Sometimes it takes longer. There is no set time schedule for the buses; they are dispatched as needed.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #36
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Nope....and they can run more frequently than every 20 mins!! No way to tell. Just show up and hopefully you won't have a long wait. It would be nice if they came on the '20s' but they don't.

Quote:
Thank you. I tend to overcomplicate. There's a transportation board? OMG duh
Yep, we're all over there, just anticipating all the wonderful questions!!!
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #37
BlueFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie2hotty View Post
Buses is all I've ever used to travel while in WDW.

Sometimes people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to using the buses. I once listed to a woman complain the entire way from DTD to the Poly because the bus was crowded and she felt that since she was staying at a deluxe resort she somehow felt she shouldn't have to stand or be in a crowded bus.

Just be aware of exactly what the buses are: mass public transportation for getting as many guests to and from the parks as possible. Of course it will be crammed. Of course there will be rude people. Of course there will screaming children. Of course it could be slightly uncomfortable. But that is any public transportation.

I've also had fun on a Disney bus. Had many very nice small chats with people from around the country and world. Listened to many a funny conversation between an excited small child and their siblings or parents. Watched many a small child having the time of their life because they were in WDW. I was on a very packed bus once at the end of the night. The radio was on and "Sweet Caroline" was playing. About 80% of the bus who were previously quiet and tired suddenly broke out into the chorus of the song. It was really funny. We were all there to do the same thing: enjoy everything that Disney has to offer with the most amount of fun as possible.

Just remember the buses are just buses, not personal limo services.
Wonderful response!

My 2 cents - we are suburb people. We live in our car. DH drives for work and I drive the mom taxi. We used to grumble about the buses. But now we've made the switch and love the break. The biggest tip - get on DISNEY time as soon as you arrive. It is slow, but I am on vacation! I can't control the schedule, I can't make them go faster. I CAN allow myself plenty of time for getting from point A to B (1 hour to a park, 90 minutes if I need to transfer buses to a resort or go to DTD). I CAN control my attitude, enjoy the A/C, the conversation, and that someone else is doing the driving. I CAN travel at off peak times if that quiet bus is really important to me.

We have also had lovely conversations with the drivers themselves, especially if we are the only passengers.

If I get in a rush, the buses are miserable. Also, quit while you're ahead. If you get to a bus stop and you're already overheated or ready to be in your hotel room, it is going to feel slower.

Another thought - your resort will have lines that go to Typhoon Lagoon (and a park), Blizzard beach (and a park) and DTD (and a water park). Those routes take longer. Allow for the time. Allow for your bus to stop at other CSR stops before you are whisked off to a park, too.

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the detailed responses.
Re: greyhound vs public bus I was most curious about capacity not comfort. I remember seeing them and they were big? Just curious as my DS loves bus rides and our public buses here are big but not greyhound big.

The car we will have us our personal car. I only live 3h away from WDW.

Someone mentioned it's a vacation for DH to get a break from driving..... US too!
DH is a driver for Schwan's so the buses give him a break from being behind the wheel for a week!

And driving/parking us always the most confusing/stressful part of a trip.. For both of us.

I think we will like them just fine.

Is there a central transport map?
I know we ride the bus to MK but I'm curious where it drops off?
When you drive, you take the monorail or boat into the park. Last trip we took we did the monorail and I'd really like to do the boat at least once while we are there. Does the bud drop off in a place for that to be possible?

Thanks everyone <3
There are boats from MK to Poly or GF (you can take the monorail back), and boats to WL and FW (boat or bus back). There is a boat route from DHS to Epcot (LONG) that stops at YC/BC, Swan/Dolphin and BW. The Epcot stop is at the World Showcase end of the park (opposite end from bus transportation).

Regarding every 20 minutes . . . Sometimes you will see 2 buses arrive back to back for the same location before your bus does. It happens. WDW tries to staff the bus stops and keep an eye on traffic. If there are crowds waiting for a bus, they try to dispatch extra buses.

Go with the flow, get on Disney Time, and let the rest take care of itself.
5/2-5/7/10 - WL ~ 5/25-6/4/13 - San Diego/Disneyland ~ 8/3-8/6/14 - WL Mommy/Daughter Trip

BlueFairy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: