Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #31
Maggie Lizer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStars View Post
I have 2 young kids. I wouldn't want my own kids at the after hours event let alone other people's kids.

And while we may be doing Disney "for the kids", I don't think there's anything wrong with an adult-only evening.
I was going to say the same thing. I can't really wrap my head around why anyone would want to bring their kids to the After Hours event.

First trip with DS2 4/29 - 5/8/14.

Maggie Lizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #32
raidermatt
Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Lizer View Post
I was going to say the same thing. I can't really wrap my head around why anyone would want to bring their kids to the After Hours event.
Eh, everybody is different. It's just food and drink, which goes on in World Showcase all day/night, so I wouldn't think twice about it.

But even if you disagree, given all the crazy things people do, this should be way down the "can't wrap my head around it" ladder.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #33
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Well, it's not exactly the same as what goes on during regular Epcot hours (meaning the wind down). While you can get an alternate beverage, you can't get alternate food, and most of the food offerings would probably not appeal to young kids. No attractions or stores are open, so it's really just sitting in the bar to have the drinks and food and then walking around a closed Epcot. If you have kids who would enjoy that, then you can bring them if you are willing to pay $35 for them to do it and drink a Coke or some juice. But if you know your kids would be bored, why drag them along.

There are even some who book an event based on drinking or including alcohol, bring the children and then complain that the event is full of adults drinking. I'm not talking about cursing, outright rudeness or excessive PDA (all of which I've seen at Disney bars during normal operating hours - in fact, I've seen all of these outside the bars - and none of which are good things to do in public at any time), but a bunch of persons drinking in a small area like these bars are going to get really loud and probably boisterous and I do know that there are sometimes complaints about THAT going on in front of children.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #34
raidermatt
Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Well, it's not exactly the same as what goes on during regular Epcot hours (meaning the wind down). While you can get an alternate beverage, you can't get alternate food, and most of the food offerings would probably not appeal to young kids. No attractions or stores are open, so it's really just sitting in the bar to have the drinks and food and then walking around a closed Epcot. If you have kids who would enjoy that, then you can bring them if you are willing to pay $35 for them to do it and drink a Coke or some juice. But if you know your kids would be bored, why drag them along.

Not even going to get into some who book an event based on drinking or including alcohol, bring the children and then complain that the event is full of adults drinking. I'm not talking about cursing, outright rudeness or excessive PDA (all of which I've seen at Disney bars during normal operating hours and none of which are good things to do in public at any time), but a bunch of persons drinking in a small area like these bars are going to get really loud and probably boisterous and I do know that there are sometimes complaints about THAT going on in front of children.

Again, everybody is different. Like I said, you know your kids, nobody else does and therefore it is your decision.

I agree it's a bad idea to bring them if a noisy environment is enough to bother them, but there are plenty of kids that do just fine in those situations.

Bottom line, if Disney is willing to accept the payment and let kids come, they will be there at times. That's the nature of WDW. If they truly want it "kid-free", they'll do what they did at V&A.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #35
L&Lfan
DIS Veteran

My boyfriend and I are doing the after hours wind down in September....we never imagined there'd still be children there hanging around....that's not the way Disney describes/photographs the event at all....to those who have done it, were there lots of children there? Thanks......We were so looking forward to some adult time away from children....maybe we should save the $$ and just wind down in our resort lounge? (Belle Vue at the Boardwalk).
L&Lfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #36
raidermatt

Not many children as most would not enjoy it. But it is possible. I wouldn't let it drive you away, but if you want to avoid kids at all costs, the Belle Vue does give you a better chance.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #37
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

As noted in the prior posts, reports from the events note that few if any children have been attending. As also noted, parents seem to understand that the event would not appeal to most kids. However, it cannot be guaranteed that at the event you attend, there will be NO children.

There's probably going to be kids in the Belle Vue too.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #38
L&Lfan
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies. I guess the better question would be were the children you witnessed at the Epcot after hours wind down well behaved? That would make more of a difference that their mere presence, I'm sure. I don't think we've ever seen children in the resort lounges in the evening. Mornings sure, when some of them double as continental breakfast sites, but in the evening when adults are there for a drink and to relax?.....I'm really taxing my brain trying to remember and I really can't....and we've been relaxing in WDW and DL lounges for over 30 years! Maybe they all behaved well enough to be in adult bars that their presence wasn't noticeable!
L&Lfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #39
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Acknowledging that there are events, times, and places that aren't a good fit with most kids isn't remotely the same as "animosity toward children."
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: