Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
sugarbobbin
Mouseketeer

How would you plan for family stay of 8?

How would you plan a family reunion of 8 multi-generational people? There is a family of 4, with two children under 6. My mother and I, which we will probably room together. And my father.

I just planned a vacation for my mother and I for October, but I was discussing we should try to plan something for the WHOLE family, including two young girls who want everything PRINCESS! :D But I have no idea how to go about something that large!

We'd probably want to stay around $5000, not including airfare. I have no idea how'd we room at Disney, either on-site or off. I imagine we'd try for Free Dining in September, if possible. I can imagine that the food savings for a family of 8 would outweigh any room discount.

It's kinda important that my mother and I have a room to ourselves, since she separated from my father and prefers to have her own private space.

My thought is to book rooms separately rather than suites? Has anyone done this before? I'm rather intimidated to plan this.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
noneal
Earning My Ears

There are many factors that come into play.

When are you going?
How long are staying?
Where do you want to stay (budget, moderate, deluxe, offsite, etc)?

If you are looking at the deluxe resorts, I would look into renting dvc points to save some $$

I would also recommend not getting the meal plan because in most cases it is not a good deal (not all cases).

Provide some more info and you will get better recommendations.
noneal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Help me with the math.
Family of four = 4
You and mom= 2
Dad= 1
I get 7. Who is the 8th? Does dad have a plus 1?.

If your budget is only $5,000 then I would think you'd be looking at value rooms. Tickets alone, for 7 people for 7 days would be just under half of that budget. Three standard rooms would be around $2,100 or so If you went in Sept for 7 nights. So that doesn't leave much room for food or souvenirs. You would have to have free dining (and no TS meals) to stay on budget.
You could find cheaper accommodation off site, but would have to add in car rental (possibly 2 cars), gas, parking fees and possibly resort fees as well.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
sharkyandbones
Earning My Ears

$5,000 will be tough to pull off for 8 people if you're talking a week. We used to go as a party of 8 during free dining days (before we became DVC members) and it would run us just over $5,000 staying in a moderate resort with the free DDP (includes 1 table service meal).

Offsite 1984**POR 9/2010**ASMu 1/2012**POFQ 12/2012**POFQ 9/2013
sharkyandbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

given the parameters:

3 rooms at a value or maybe moderate

1 room for family of 4
1 room for mom & daughter
1 room for dad.

That's 7, who is the 8th person.

If your dad must be apart from your mom there is no way to do this other than separate rooms.

Remember for free dining you have to pay rack rate for the room. And if you pick the values on free dining, you get the quick service plan free. You'd have to pay to upgrade quick service to regular plan if what you really want is the regular plan. You may want to shoot for a moderate. It will be tough to get that in under $5000 for 3 rooms. Or is that $5000 total for the whole trip? If that's the case, you'll have issues.

What's the deal with mom and dad? Are they OK eating together, touring together?
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: