Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #91
wdwfamilyinIL
DIS Veteran

I know that as a parent I am shocked at some of the things that I have read, even more so that its from Disney....whom I think is supposed to be more geared at children. MY 3 boys have asked forever to go on a cruise, and we are booked on the Dream next May, I do have to say that these stories make me really uneasy on whether to let them go to the clubs or not. I know that I will request that they stay together,(12,10,8). My 10 year old gets picked on a lot due to alot of things out of his control, and to think that he wouldn't be "safe" here. I just don't know. I do know one thing, big brother doesn't like it when anyone other than him picks on his younger buddies, so I really really hope that situations get under control and things become less hectic, or I am going to have a ticked off parent coming at me.

ASM 05,06POP 07,08
POFQ 09,10
Disney Dream May 11
POR JUNE 11
wdwfamilyinIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #92
Toocoolmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizbuzz View Post
We were on the June 24 Baltic cruise and both of my kids loved the kids' clubs. I was very glad that there was an option for kids to select their activities, regardless of Club vs. Lab, as my 7 year old had no interest in the Club anymore and would have been miserable there. However, my 5 year old preferred the Club over the Lab and opted to go there. I thought there were some great counselors, in particular at the Lab.

Interestingly, my nephews who were also on the cruise did not like the Club or Lab as much. One spent as little time as possible in Oceaneers or the Lab and the other really only liked the video games at the Lab. They just weren't that interested in group activites with unfamiliar kids and counselors.

I think individual kids can have different experiences in the clubs based on their personalities and interest in hanging out with a bunch of kids and counselors they don't know.

Overall, still think the Club and Lab are excellent. My kids love them. My 5 year old just about cried when we cut off his wrist band and turned in the pager. I give Disney very high scores for the kid activities.
We were also on the Baltic Cruise and while the kids had a great time my DD(10) said the Lab was full of little kids and my DN(8) often went over to the Club because there were too many people in the Lab.

While I understand it is hard for kids to be grouped in one club it is also hard when everyone sees the lab as the place to be. There was just too many young kids in the Lab!!! Even the counselors (which were great) seemed to be overwhelmed sometimes.

On the other hand my other DN(11) loved Ocean Quest and didn't want to leave. My DD wanted to go there.

I personally liked the "old system" where the kids are assigned a club/lab. This gives them something to look forward to when they get older and cruise again.

Me: Sarah DH: David
DD: Caitlin (12) DS: Aiden (10)

2006 - Sea/Land Cruise in the Bahamas
2010 - Baltic Sea
2011 - Mediterranean Cruise
Planned:
2012 - Alaska
2013 - Mediterranean - Greece/Turkey
Toocoolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #93
Cliffside
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocoolmom View Post
We were also on the Baltic Cruise and while the kids had a great time my DD(10) said the Lab was full of little kids and my DN(8) often went over to the Club because there were too many people in the Lab.

While I understand it is hard for kids to be grouped in one club it is also hard when everyone sees the lab as the place to be. There was just too many young kids in the Lab!!! Even the counselors (which were great) seemed to be overwhelmed sometimes.

On the other hand my other DN(11) loved Ocean Quest and didn't want to leave. My DD wanted to go there.

I personally liked the "old system" where the kids are assigned a club/lab. This gives them something to look forward to when they get older and cruise again.
I agree...I liked the old system also. My DD is an only child and it was great that she was able to hang out with kids her own age.

When did your DD turn 10...Would they let her in Ocean Quest. My DD will be 2 months shy of her 11th b-day and I when I was on the Magic last November they said she could go inot OQ this August....although if it was like it was before I would have much preferred her to be in place that gives out pagers.
January 2,2014 Disney Magic Bahamas
October 2013 BCV
June 27, 2013 Disney Magic in Med w/ Venice
March 2013 BLT
August 12, 2012 Disney Magic to Canada
March 31,2012 Maiden Voyage Disney Fantasy-Western
August 23, 2011 Disney Wonder -Alaska
April 17,2011 Disney Dream/AKL
August 18th 2010 Disney Magic in the Mediterranean
October 31st 2009 Disney Magic Western
August 2009 DL Grand Californian
February 2009 BCV
November 2008 Disney Magic Western
April 2008 BCV
November 2007 Disney Magic Western
April 2007 POFQ
April 2006 Disney Magic Eastern
April 2005 Land/Sea POFQ/Disney Wonder
April 2004 POFQ
Cliffside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #94
Toocoolmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffside View Post
I agree...I liked the old system also. My DD is an only child and it was great that she was able to hang out with kids her own age.

When did your DD turn 10...Would they let her in Ocean Quest. My DD will be 2 months shy of her 11th b-day and I when I was on the Magic last November they said she could go inot OQ this August....although if it was like it was before I would have much preferred her to be in place that gives out pagers.
She just turned 10 and could do some activities in OQ but, we didn't figure that out till later and she didn't feel like she belonged. Wish we would have seen that in the beginning.

I did talk to the OQ crew and they said that if they are not 11 yet it is up to the OQ crew to decide. The may base it on the number in the club.

She turns 11 on our next cruise so she will just start in OQ. I think this will help her out a lot.

We gave both our kids check in/out privileges this time around and it worked out great. We used a dry erase board and post its to have the kids communicate with us. It worked out great and we could always find them.

Me: Sarah DH: David
DD: Caitlin (12) DS: Aiden (10)

2006 - Sea/Land Cruise in the Bahamas
2010 - Baltic Sea
2011 - Mediterranean Cruise
Planned:
2012 - Alaska
2013 - Mediterranean - Greece/Turkey
Toocoolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #95
penguinmomma
Earning My Ears

That is awful I am so sorry! We were onboard the Disney Wonder last summer for a 4 day cruise and they treated my son fabulously. He wasn't quite 3 but was potty trained. We'd reserved time for him at the nursery but they said he'd probably have more fun at the Oceaneer's club and they were right- he kept asking to go back.
You should NOT have seen or experienced what you did. I completely agree with everyone who has said complain LOUDLY! Unacceptable!
Disney Magic Europe: Sept 8-18, 2010!!!
penguinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #96
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

I was researching Disney Dream and saw all the wonderful plans for kids' areas, and then realized it was a "kids club" instead of just a play area for the whole family (like Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground at DHS.) So I started reading these threads about kids' clubs, and I'm just so surprised to hear all of this.

I'll admit, our three boys (ages pre-school to pre-teen) are not fans of kids' clubs anywhere - they know these clubs have been available to them at WDW, and on vacations to resorts in Florida, Park City, Martha's Vineyard and Mexico. They aren't clingy or scared by any means - they're generally independent. We just like to do things together, and they enjoy sticking with their little brother for little kid stuff at WDW and DL to see his reaction. They occasionally go on a ride at WDW by themselves (mission space, for example) but they've said it's more fun with at least one of us along. The wide variety of activities available to the entire family is one of the main reasons we love WDW and DL so much.

So given all of this, and the fact that we've never been on any cruise before, what do you all think about the idea of stopping by the kids clubs together? Can we go in with our youngest and play with him in the Toy Story room or the Nemo sub? We wouldn't do that in the kids' clubs at Disney resorts, because they exist for the purpose of childcare - is that pretty much the same for the kids' clubs on DCL? I know we won't know the specifics on Dream until January, but what do you all think based on your experiences on existing cruises? Not sure if a cruise is for us, and some of these threads make it look like kids and adults often go their own way, so I'd appreciate any responses.
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #97
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

We were on a 5-night DD cruise on the Wonder Aug 8-13. Our DD is 3 1/2 - doesn't go to daycare, and won't start school until Aug 2011. She's at home with me &/or her Dad everyday. No babysitters (we have no family in state -- they are all in Ohio).

Now, DH & I had been on a cruise before, and knew we wanted to go to Palo again. What do we do? Well, we test her out at the Oceaneer Club. We didn't even check her in/get the bracelet/pager until Day 3.On pirate night, we take her there after dinner to see how she'll do -- get her acclamated. She had seen the kids clubs on the DCL DVD and was thrilled about it - she loves other kids (no siblings, either), at the park, anywhere. So, we decided to go in with her, see how she'll do. We approach the club and we talked to by such a nice counselor, who explained everything. We stuck on "visitor" tags, and walked in. Well, immediately, DD RAN off - not looking back. DH and I couldn't believe it. She went right to the other kids, a little slide - gone. We observe for a little bit, and it was clear, she did not need us! We left her in for "So you want to be a Pirate" with Captain Hook, then "Sliding Fun" on the big slide (~ 2 hrs) and we fully expected to get paged. Nothing. No page. She was behaving, playing, having a great time. We picked her up to go to the Pirate Party, and she didn't want to leave!!

The next day, she's again begging to go to the kids club. Now, we hadn't planned on doing it until Palo, but after we met with the Princesses, we let her go in for "Do-si-do with Snow White," just for 1 hr before lunch. She's greeted with a squirt of soap and sent to wash her hands, and she's off! Again, she's in heaven. Loving it. All freakin' day we hear about her wanting to go to the kids club. She couldn't wait until we went to Palo so that she could go back.

That evening, we took her to eat pizza and watch a movie on Deck 9 until ~5:45pm, where we sent her to the kids club during our Palo dinner. She was extatic. We ate - no page. All is well. We go to pick her up a little before 8pm, and now, she is crying because SHE DIDN"T WANT TO LEAVE!!!

You can see, my child only spent 5 hrs in the Oceaneers Club total over a 5 night cruise, and none at Castaway Cay. She is only 3 1/2 (although she has a strong personality - she's small, but mighty, and can certainly hold her own! Watch out!), and I felt perfectly comfortable leaving her there. This is coming from someone who does not leave her child!

That's just my one opinion & situation, but I have praise for the Oceaneer Club.

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #98
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
I was researching Disney Dream and saw all the wonderful plans for kids' areas, and then realized it was a "kids club" instead of just a play area for the whole family (like Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground at DHS.) So I started reading these threads about kids' clubs, and I'm just so surprised to hear all of this.

I'll admit, our three boys (ages pre-school to pre-teen) are not fans of kids' clubs anywhere - they know these clubs have been available to them at WDW, and on vacations to resorts in Florida, Park City, Martha's Vineyard and Mexico. They aren't clingy or scared by any means - they're generally independent. We just like to do things together, and they enjoy sticking with their little brother for little kid stuff at WDW and DL to see his reaction. They occasionally go on a ride at WDW by themselves (mission space, for example) but they've said it's more fun with at least one of us along. The wide variety of activities available to the entire family is one of the main reasons we love WDW and DL so much.

So given all of this, and the fact that we've never been on any cruise before, what do you all think about the idea of stopping by the kids clubs together? Can we go in with our youngest and play with him in the Toy Story room or the Nemo sub? We wouldn't do that in the kids' clubs at Disney resorts, because they exist for the purpose of childcare - is that pretty much the same for the kids' clubs on DCL? I know we won't know the specifics on Dream until January, but what do you all think based on your experiences on existing cruises? Not sure if a cruise is for us, and some of these threads make it look like kids and adults often go their own way, so I'd appreciate any responses.
You can certainly go in with your child to play. They give you a "visitor" sticker and you can go in. I would've never left DD there without checking it out with her first.

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #99
jitsb
Mouseketeer

We've only ever sailed on the Magic, but I have never seen, or heard, anything like this. That's awful! The counselors on our most recent cruise were fabulous! In fact, several of them went so far above and beyond, we included them in our survey response.

The first time we cruised, our youngest was just barely 3 and, while the Club was a bit overwhelming for him, he actually enjoyed being able to grab a book and sit by himself quietly for awhile. He missed us some, but never indicated that he felt left out or ignored.

Our most recent experience, now that the children were able to move freely from one area to the other, was that they actually had a lot more interaction from the Counselors. Every time we showed up, the boys were interacting with one of them in some way. Previously, they were either at the front desk, or doing the scheduled activity. Now, we found them helping make crafts, reading stories, playing chess, it was amazing!

pixarmom - we saw lots of parents interacting with their kids in both the Club and the Lab. We were always invited to go find our boys, and often helped out with whatever they were doing. I don't think there'll be any problem with you staying with your kids, especially at the beginning.

2011 6-night "Magic" Christmas cruise
2011 WDW Port Orleans ~ French Quarter
2010 11-night "Magic" Med cruise
2009 7-night W. Caribbean cruise "Magic"
2009 WDW Swan
1989 WDW Grand Floridian

HERE is a link to my 2011 Christmas Caribbean Magic trip report!
HERE is a link to my 2010 Mediterranean Magic trip report!
jitsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #100
aseyrick
DIS Veteran

Exclamation Freaking out!

After reading the posts here, I AM FREAKING OUT!! We're currently booked on 7-day W. Carib on the Magic w/ our 3-yo DS. While we don't plan to have him in the club for more than an hour here and there, I'm now reluctant to have him there at all!! Are there recent cruisers who can share brighter experiences w/ the club?? Otherwise, we may have to look elsewhere for our vacation needs.
aseyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #101
tee11
Earning My Ears

Does anyone have any new/updated experiences?
Is there any sign at all, that the observed shortcomings described by several people in this thread from many years ago have been addressed?

I am especially interested in hearing from families that had a 3 year old in the club. (We will be on the Wonder.)
I'm not entirely sure I can leave my 3 year old there at all, if it's now a completely mixed age 3-12 "free for all" experience....

What should I expect?
Are there certain times the kids clubs tend to be more/less crowded?

Thank you!
tee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:55 PM   #102
1craftymom
Earning My Ears

I was on the Magic in March. I traveled with a 12, 10 & 4yr old. My husband couldn't travel with us so I did use the clubs some. All 3 kids enjoyed their respective clubs, my son was at vibe all the time. The counselors got to know the kids name & did a great job. I got a call one time that the youngest was upset. Overall, we had a very good experience with the clubs & all the kids have been asking to go back.
1craftymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #103
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee11 View Post
Does anyone have any new/updated experiences?
Is there any sign at all, that the observed shortcomings described by several people in this thread from many years ago have been addressed?

I am especially interested in hearing from families that had a 3 year old in the club. (We will be on the Wonder.)
I'm not entirely sure I can leave my 3 year old there at all, if it's now a completely mixed age 3-12 "free for all" experience....

What should I expect?
Are there certain times the kids clubs tend to be more/less crowded?

Thank you!
I see you're new here. A quick check with the Disboards search engine brings up this more recent thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....r+club+reviews

Please try not to resurrect old threads like this in the future. People looking for current information will often read just the first few responses, and not bother looking at the date. I know I was on page 3 thinking "Wow, I haven't heard any complaints like this about the kid's clubs!" before I realized, "Wait, 2009? How old is this thread?!"

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dcl, kids club, oceaneers club

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: