Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #31
kimerinc
Ariels Mom

I loved the boat ride to St. John's. It was informative and fun! When you get there, they heard you on to these open air taxis that you are supposed to return on as well. Then you get to the beach, which is beautiful to view, but there are a lot of people and it is a U.S. park so there are a lot of rules. You get in a huge line to pick up snorkel gear from kids then head to the beach. There are a lot of people in the water and you really only have about 20 minutes to snorkel or enjoy the beach. Our driver told us the wrong return time so we were stunned when they called for us to come out of the water. Our taxi driver never showed so they brought another taxi and took us to the boat dock. Several people missed the taxis entirely so they had to hire private taxis. Then you have to go inside this caged area in the sun and wait for the boat to unload. Then the boat ride back was an infomercial for the boat guides website and girlfriend hangout spots. I really enjoyed listening to the info on the way over, but the way back... tried to fall asleep.

If you go on this excursion, you really have no time to wait in line to buy water or food, so take water especially off the boat with you. I brought breakfast cereal for the girls so they were not starving.

I think there is not enough time to do all of this. The St. John excursions don't leave until 10:45.
1994 RCCL 3 Day, 1998 Princess 7 Day Western Carribean, 2000 RCCL 10 day Hawaii, 2005 RCCL 6 Day Western Carribean, 2006 DCL 7 Day Double Dip, 12/8/2007 Eastern Carribean, 2009 DCL Panama Canal Crossing, 2010 DCL Alaska, 2011 DCL Alaska
Disneyland 1992, 1994, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 twice. Disneyworld, 2002, 2006 (feb), 2006(dec), 2011, 2012, 2013
kimerinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #32
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
7. Trunk Bay Snorkel was dumb
Quote:
Can you elaborate on this? What did you not like about it?
Nothing Dumb here ...

or here ....

or even over here ....

Yes maybe a little cool ... but this was in January a few years ago.

Maybe they didn't like the underwater trail and markers .... sometimes they are a little hard to sea since the pesky see life keeps growing on the signs.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #33
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post

I wonder it's up to the CMs managing it. Back in 2012 (on the Dream) it was just show up and sign up on the spot. We did get a chance at the time to get a picture with Goofy on a jogging suite and were able to purchase the group picture with the CC2K logo...

But this past December on the Magic, we had to sign up at port adventures at least the night before. We had a couple that showed up the morning of and they were told they could run it on their own but would not receive bibs nor medals as they only had the exact amount based on signups. In the end they did receive medals and bibs because there were a couple of no shows.

Anyway, thanks for the reports...
In 2012 the medals were spotty, you tended to get a certificate, and Goofy showed up.

It all changed in 2013. They started working to get the medals for EVERY run, the certificates went away, and so did the characters.

By the middle of 2013 it was being run more by rundisney, and things got more strict. Ages (though people on B2Bs have reported that one cruise the age was x and the second cruise (same ship) was y), signups, etc.

Now I believe that, in true Disney fashion, they started changing things over a year ago while looking to the future to when they would start offering special CC 5Ks for rundisney participants. Drop the previously free benefits to bring them back a year or more later for an extra cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaC View Post
Y
Don't care for the Castaway Cay 5K at all, and here's the stupidity on my part, runDisney has suckered me into paying to do it on the January 12th post Marathon weekend cruise. Yes, I'm a sucker for an inaugural medal.
And I'll be seeing you. I hate hate hate that I'm participating, but I'm doing it anyway. I don't even WANT to participate in an inaugural event, just like I don't want to buy a car in its first model year! Work the kinks out the first year and THEN I'll participate. But...nope, I'm doing the very very first true, paid, rundisney event on the island.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #34
CarolyninCO
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for the report!

One thing I'm curious about is the 5 1-BR's that were available. I've been stalking our Aug 30 cruise for months and haven't seen either a V or OOT. We have a V now, but of course would love to upgrade. Do you think people cancelled at the last minute, or was the cruise not really full?

Thank you!
CarolyninCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #35
kimerinc
Ariels Mom

The concierge told me they had been full all summer and this was the first time they had seen these kind of upgrades in a while. I don't know if we were just lucky on the dates or if people cancelled/moved. There were 5 suites available starting about 3 weeks out when I started checking.

I don't know if there was a price issue on this cruise or if they are all the same. The 1 bedrooms I looked at were $18,000 for 3 people. I don't know if that compares to others or if they were more expensive and did not get sold. I feel pretty lucky.

I will tell you, if others are checking it will take one room away and hold it so if you go back and look like 10 minutes later, the room will be gone then come back later. Sometimes the suites would go down to 1 then back up to 5.
1994 RCCL 3 Day, 1998 Princess 7 Day Western Carribean, 2000 RCCL 10 day Hawaii, 2005 RCCL 6 Day Western Carribean, 2006 DCL 7 Day Double Dip, 12/8/2007 Eastern Carribean, 2009 DCL Panama Canal Crossing, 2010 DCL Alaska, 2011 DCL Alaska
Disneyland 1992, 1994, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 twice. Disneyworld, 2002, 2006 (feb), 2006(dec), 2011, 2012, 2013
kimerinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: