Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
sunrise717
Mouseketeer

This might be crazy but...

Has anyone brought a case of beer in checked luggage. We are flying with SW and get 2 free checked bags. We are taking disney transportation to port and would like to carry some beer for the hubby for the cruise. Suggestion ...?.. Thanks
sunrise717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

As a beer lover, I'm thinking complete lack of temperature control, as well as all the shaking. It'll be skunk before you reach the ship. Or worse, explode. Ok, maybe not, but yes, I do think it's very risky, not only for you, but for others luggage who may be near yours. I would look into purchasing your beer before you get on the ship. We take private transportation, and make a grocery stop to pick up our case.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

The problem is that, while the airlines insist that liquids go in a checked bag, DCL requires that they be brought aboard in carry-on luggage. You would have to get it out of your checked bag and into your carry on before getting on the DCL bus. (If you have ever seen how DCL treats bags you understand why they don't want liquids in checked luggage.)

All that said, I'd be pretty unhappy if my bags came off a plane soaked in beer from someone else's bag. I'd make sure that the cans were completely contained in a plastic bag (or two...or three) before putting them in your suitcase.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
chocolatecake
Earning My Ears

As someone who has had their luggage soaked from something someone else checked - I don't think it is a good idea.
chocolatecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

From someone who has had luggage soaked with BEER somewhere in between curbside check in at the port and our stateroom, I beg you not to try to check beer (even in cans)!!

Instead I suggest you either do a grocery stop, find a grocery delivery service, or purchase the handy-dandy onboard beer mug with reduced price refills for tap beer all cruise long!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
wajones2
Mouseketeer

Most likely the planes altitude and lack of pressure & temp control in the cargo are would result in cans losing their seal and leaking. Cancel DCL transport and book private with grocery stop.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatecake View Post
As someone who has had their luggage soaked from something someone else checked - I don't think it is a good idea.
I agree. We've had clothes and luggage ruined by someone else's red wine.
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
JennLK
DIS Veteran

I would not fly with it but we have carried beer/liquor on board. We choose a rolling suitcase to fill with any drinks that we are bringing and carry on the ship.

I agree with others that you should probably cancel DCL transport and perhaps rent or hire a car for the am so that you can make a pit stop.

Cruise: Fantasy 8/14 * MSC Divina 4/14 * Norwegian Breakaway 1/14 * Magic 11/13 * Fantasy 9/12 * Dream 1/12 * Dream 2/11
WDW: Off-site (Bonnet Creek) 01/13 and 11/11 SSR 1/11 and CSR/CBR 12/06-1/07
JennLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

The beer will not make it. The pressure from the plane will cause the cans to explode. Maybe explode is an over statement but they will open and leak all over the place. I have first-hand knowledge of this. It's not good. Not good at all.
AnotherPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
Suger Mag
DIS Veteran

Yes!

Yes, we participated in a beer exchange on our last cruise where we all were bringing regional microbrewed beers to exchange with eachother. It ended up being a 12 pack that we checked when we flew from Hartford CT to MCO.

Packing is key, you can buy special beer cartons with styrofoam inserts (we did not, but a couple members of our exchange went this route). We used wine diapers and cardboard boxes. Each glass bottle was wrapped seperately and placed in multiple plastic bags and a wine diaper... and then put in the box and then nestled within the center of our suitcase. When we got to WDW (we were staying a couple of days pre-cruise) we switched the beer to our carry on. No issues and no breakage, either by us, or by any of the 12 people who were participating in the exchange (about 8 of us were flying).

IF the TSA rules were different I would hand carry... and since we were specifically doing small regional microbrews from our home areas to exchange... it was not an option to simply purchase at the port.
Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Cruise July 2013* Spring Break on the Wonder March 2014

Canada * England * Belgium * Netherlands * France * Denmark * Sweden * Norway * Austria * Hungary * Yugoslavia * Spain * Morocco * Egypt * Mexico * Germany * Caribbean
Suger Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
for my family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise717 View Post
Has anyone brought a case of beer in checked luggage. We are flying with SW and get 2 free checked bags. We are taking disney transportation to port and would like to carry some beer for the hubby for the cruise. Suggestion ...?.. Thanks
What kind of beer?
for my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
wdwwishes
DIS Veteran

I don't think the beer will bad or skunk, that comes with age. In shipment beer does go through some rough handling but I would think that would kinder handling than what it would go through in your luggage. Buy it close to port, shove it your suitcase then or in a box and check it with your bags going on board.
A.K.L. 2008, 2011
Poly 2009
Wilderness Lodge 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The Wonder 2007, 2009, 2011
The Fantasy 2013
The Dream 2014
The Magic 2015
wdwwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwwishes View Post
I don't think the beer will bad or skunk, that comes with age. In shipment beer does go through some rough handling but I would think that would kinder handling than what it would go through in your luggage. Buy it close to port, shove it your suitcase then or in a box and check it with your bags going on board.
The OP is taking DCL transportation to the port so she won't be able to stop for the beer on that end. Also, per DCL's rules. you cannot put beverages in checked bags. They must be carried aboard.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: