Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
davidmolliesmum
i must resist chocolate... i must resist chocolate....

Exclamation Castaway Cay Snorkelling...

is the snorkelling at castaway cay ok for kids who arent strong swimmers?
September 2014; Disney Villa & 1st DisneyCruise,September 2013; Southern Dunes, August 2012: Southern Dunes, September 2011: Southern Dunes, September 2010 All Star Sports, June 2009: Kissimmee, June 2008: Southern Dunes, June 2007: Pop Century and Wedding!
Me DH DS10 DD8

davidmolliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
dcassetta
Mouseketeer

Several things to consider – how old are the kids? What do you mean by being a not strong swimmer? Have they ever swam in the ocean before?

Disney does require all snorkelers to wear a vest, and the they can be inflated to help with flotation. However, that makes snorkeling itself more difficult. Successful snorkeling also requires putting the face fully into the water, which sometimes make for swimmers uncomfortable. There are lifeguards stationed within the snorkeling area, but they might be quite a distance away from where the child is, if they start to get into distress.

I probably would not recommend snorkeling for a poor swimmer, however if you do decide to try it it would be important to stay in the shallow water where the child could stand easily if they became uncomfortable. Please be aware that all of the underwater features, and most of the fish that the snorkeler might want to see are going to be in water that is significantly over their head.

\
I've eaten at 159 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
dcassetta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

Yes, the area where you will really see anything is quite a ways out and definitely in deep water. You can snorkel where it's shallow, but you're really not going to see much.
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmolliesmum View Post
is the snorkelling at castaway cay ok for kids who arent strong swimmers?
if your kids are not strong swimmers you need to be watching them 110% of the time

does not matter what there is to see, or if there are other life guards ... a child can drown in 3 minutes .....

been there ....

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
pepe3penelope
Princess Ariel at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_BJ View Post
if your kids are not strong swimmers you need to be watching them 110% of the time does not matter what there is to see, or if there are other life guards ... a child can drown in 3 minutes ..... been there ....
I agree!!! DD & I wore the required snorkel vests. She is a good pool swimmer but had no experience in the ocean. By the way, she HATED the taste of sea water & still talks about that to this day! I had her on a floater and & I guided us out. She didn't like it. She was uncomfortable also with the rocking motion of the ocean. I took her back to DH & I went by myself.

There are lifeguards but they are spaced out. You have to swim far to see anything.

pepe3penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:57 AM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

My son is a good swimmer but we ended up being out there for a pretty long time (did the whole "loop") and DS was utterly exhausted. And we all got sunburned on our backs, despite the high SPF sunscreen. We were out longer than the sunscreen lasted.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
dcassetta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
My son is a good swimmer but we ended up being out there for a pretty long time (did the whole "loop") and DS was utterly exhausted. And we all got sunburned on our backs, despite the high SPF sunscreen. We were out longer than the sunscreen lasted.
This is why I wear a swim shirt when snorkeling!

\
I've eaten at 159 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
dcassetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

DH loves the full loop at CC for snorkeling, I'm an ok swimmer so I tired out about 2/3 into it then I head back. That being said we've taken our then 4 year old snorkeling at CC, and when he was 5 and now about to go again. (he has just turned 6) At 4/5 DH stayed right next to him and didn't go out very far at all but DS absolutely loved it anyway! (he was an ok swimmer 4 & 5) Now at 6 he's been practicing snorkeling in the backyard pool. What are your kids ages and is this something they would be very interested in? We met another couple that had snorkel gear for all 3 of their kids and they all refused to get into the water...
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
mommymoose
Earning My Ears

we're looking forward to our first DCL vacation in Sept and bought snorkel gear for our kids (10 and 7) to practice all summer in our pool. last cruise (carnival) our DD couldn't swim so even with 100% assistance, she refused to even try to look through the mask underwater. we were determined to get them ready this time, especially since now both are good swimmers!!
mommymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcassetta View Post
This is why I wear a swim shirt when snorkeling!
Yep. We had never been snorkeling before and had NO idea what it was going to be like. In the future, I, at least, will get a swim shirt. DH and DS rarely burn (the stinkers...different genetics than me) and it was a really rare thing that they did. I know DH won't be getting a rashguard, but we'll have to chat with the kidlet about it. He doesn't even WANT to snorkel, though, because he got so tired from it. Thinks that all snorkeling experiences will be like that one.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
davidmolliesmum
i must resist chocolate... i must resist chocolate....

thanks for the responses... my son DD10 has snorkeled at Typhoon Lagoon before and been ok, i'm sure he will be good... its more about my DD8 who can swim but not far and isnt used to swimming in the ocean... maybe i wont bother booking it and will just let them do Typhoon Lagoon again.... probably more to see there by the sounds of it!
September 2014; Disney Villa & 1st DisneyCruise,September 2013; Southern Dunes, August 2012: Southern Dunes, September 2011: Southern Dunes, September 2010 All Star Sports, June 2009: Kissimmee, June 2008: Southern Dunes, June 2007: Pop Century and Wedding!
Me DH DS10 DD8

davidmolliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: