Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #16
ha1264
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiel View Post

We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Villas and I am interested in information on buying some basic food from the resort store. Basically we would only want a case of water, milk, juice and some breakfast cereal. Does anyone have information on what is available and the prices? I am trying to decide if I order some basics to be delivered or if I just pay the higher prices and buy what we need at the resort store.
We are here for a few more days. I'll get them for you. You can also check grocery delivery.
ha1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #17
ThePetLady7
Mouseketeer

We just left AKL today, and had a very different experience. DD and I both loved the dark feel of the resort after coming in from the bright Florida sun. There also seemed to be families with small children everywhere. I definitely think the littles were the majority. Not a day went by without our hearing one run screaming down the hall. It never lasted long though and we mostly just laughed it off with an "oh my!" We didn't feel like it was a stuffy resort at all.

We also had an overall great experience with the buses...exception being DTD (but it always is for us). Only stood once, never waited long except for the aforementioned DTD.

This is why it is wonderful that there is such a variety of resorts to choose from. As we drove through AoA and Pop on ME, my first thought was I don't think I could ever relax there. It just LOOKS like it is busy and loud.
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #18
shaqie1
Earning My Ears

Akl

My husband and I love AKL. We always rent a car so the seclusion of this resort is more of a plus than a minus for us. The only thing we don't like is the pool. Since there is only one there is no relaxing there. They constantly have contests and games for the kiddos. I wish there were a quiet pool and then it would be perfect for us.
Our upcoming trip we are staying at BLT and I'm a bit concerned we will be a bit disappointed but we want to try all the DVC resorts so here we go.
As for the post above that said it is not the fault of the child or parent but those that choose a wrong vacation- I disagree. It is the job of the parent to make sure their children act appropriate in all situations. Does that mean sit quietly all day, no but it does mean they should not be allowed to ruin other people's vacations. If people want a relaxing vacation with little parenting involved,they should leave their children at home!
shaqie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #19
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqie1 View Post
My husband and I love AKL. We always rent a car so the seclusion of this resort is more of a plus than a minus for us. The only thing we don't like is the pool. Since there is only one there is no relaxing there. They constantly have contests and games for the kiddos. I wish there were a quiet pool and then it would be perfect for us.
Our upcoming trip we are staying at BLT and I'm a bit concerned we will be a bit disappointed but we want to try all the DVC resorts so here we go.
As for the post above that said it is not the fault of the child or parent but those that choose a wrong vacation- I disagree. It is the job of the parent to make sure their children act appropriate in all situations. Does that mean sit quietly all day, no but it does mean they should not be allowed to ruin other people's vacations. If people want a relaxing vacation with little parenting involved,they should leave their children at home!
There are 2 pools. One at Jambo and one at Kidani
AngiTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #20
damiel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha1264 View Post
We are here for a few more days. I'll get them for you. You can also check grocery delivery.
Thank you so much!
Old 07-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #21
notaclue
DIS Veteran

Check this link. It's a list of items sold in the store at Animal Kingdom. I got it from the DVC members website.

http://advc.disney.go.com/media/dvc/...AKV_041514.pdf
notaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #22
Anthony1971
DIS Veteran

Concerning kids
One of the 7 (5 at Jambo where you where) times I stayed a CM took my 5 YO by the hand and walked him and us to check the in desk.
a few weeks ago a higher up manager saw my son had pins turned around and walked across the lobby to him.
Activities such as a kids parade, Pool party, stores at the fire pit, marsh mellow roasts face painting and a long list of others... --lets also not forget the drums in the gift shop
Any guest who goes here that does not want to bothered with kids obviously made a wrong choice as this resort caters to kids far better then any other resort I have been to and that is a long list....
Anthony1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #23
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We always thought about staying here but with 3 small kids we were fine at the values. We finally decided to book this year. Jambo house Arusha view concierge level. It's nice, good view of the animals after dark and the concierge level is awesome...but we quickly found this isn't the place for us. The buses are terribly slow..it doesn't have a Disney feel. It actually feels like a Museum. Some of the guest appear not to like or want to be bothered by small children. We run the parks at a frantic pace and not at the resort much other than to sleep. We wanted to clear the what if's but we are headed back to the hustle and bustle of the values. There we don't feel like we have to keep the kids on a leash. If your family is like ours save the money and book the values.
Totally with you. Took us two stays to really get that it's not for us.

The dark thing really bugs me, as my eyes were damaged by Lasik and I can't do the transition from light to dark or dark to light very well. Takes a LONG time for the rods and cones in my eyes to switch.

The bus situation was the absolute worst, both times we stayed.

The CMs at Jambo were really good at figuring out compensation for issues, though; of course, it seems to be because they get so many opportunities to compensate people for issues!

At Kidani, something like 2 years after knowing about the problem, the unit we got had the hot is hot and cold is hot problem in the washing machine. They had done a fix one time through, and found out the fix was WRONG, so they were waiting for people to report it to come in and fix the fix. Thank goodness it was DS's clothes I was washing when I noticed it was HOT, because it would have shrank all of my clothing!

I especially liked it when the RFID door lock flat out fell off when we closed our door one day. Such quality!

Not a fan! Leaving the rooms for others with better luck or different expectations.

DS did, however, love the drumming activity and still has the beads from doing various activities.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #24
Jadyreen1282
Mouseketeer

The wife and I got lost finding an exit to lobby as we were lurking through once but agreed it was beautiful and put it on our list to stay eventually. Funny thing was I thought Tusker House was there and had an ADR. Missed it.

1977 Days Inn (I was 12)-1983 Just passing through on Spring Break-1985 Contemporary-1989 Disney Village(Grosvenor)-1996 Disney Village (Lake Buena Vista Resort)-1997 Dixie Landings-1999 Dixie Landings-2001 Off Site-2010 Port Orleans Riverside-2012 Port Orleans Riverside-2014 Port Orleans Riverside (Aug 2014 coming up!)
Jadyreen1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #25
ha1264
Earning My Ears

That's too funny...We are leaving Friday.. and the people here are great.. they treat us and the kids great..
ha1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #26
JoeA
Mouseketeer

This resort seems to have the most "love/hate" going on than any other. We're on the "love" side of the fence!

Every time I walk into that lobby I feel relaxed, which is good whether I am walking in for the first day of the trip after a long flight, or for the evening after a long park day.

We also like the "remote" feeling and the dark decor. The one draw back is that my wife wants more light in the bathroom for make up application. They should have lighted mirrors for the ladies!

I stay over 100 nights a year in hotels and usually get upgraded so nice rooms and hotels really is common place for me. I want something unique - like zebras! .

I dislike all transportation - buses, boats, monorails...so the bus there is no different than any other resort for me. Which is why we always do a split stay at BWV! And while there I always walk to EPCOT and HS!
JoeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #27
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We always thought about staying here but with 3 small kids we were fine at the values. We finally decided to book this year. Jambo house Arusha view concierge level. It's nice, good view of the animals after dark and the concierge level is awesome...but we quickly found this isn't the place for us. The buses are terribly slow..it doesn't have a Disney feel. It actually feels like a Museum. Some of the guest appear not to like or want to be bothered by small children. We run the parks at a frantic pace and not at the resort much other than to sleep. We wanted to clear the what if's but we are headed back to the hustle and bustle of the values. There we don't feel like we have to keep the kids on a leash. If your family is like ours save the money and book the values.
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your experience. It does have a different feel than the values. We actually ended up loving AKL. We found the buses to be some of the most efficient on property. We rarely had to wait long for a bus. The ride to the parks are longer, but that wasn't that much of a bother for us. I have teenagers so I don't have to worry about small children. It is more quiet than some of the other resorts.

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 weekend Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #28
Aurora0427
DIS Veteran

Interesting. We'd like to stay at AKL in a savannah room one day, but we have a little one, so we stick close to the monorail resorts for now. I've heard the rooms at AKL are small, but other than that, I don't know much about it.
Aurora0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #29
OfTheWind
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm with you on the bus situation. It's a gorgeous resort, but that's because it has to be. If it was themeless with horrible bus service and way out in the boonies no one would book there. The bus waits were ridiculous, an average of 35 minutes plus the 30 min rides to parks (except Animal Kingdom which is our least favorite park). I felt horrible for the Jambo guests because the buses were always full when we left Kidani and had to pick them up. I've stayed there twice and that is enough for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: