Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
disney david
DIS Veteran

Fake service dogs a real problems

http://m.kesq.com/news/fake-service-...oblem/26743136

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:13 AM   #2
gericoronado
Mouseketeer

I work for a large retail chain and people come in ALL THE TIME with dogs and puppies. No one is ever able to question the authenticity of the "service dog" even though a two-month old puppy is obviously NOT a service dog. These dogs are frequently carried around in the shopping cart...yes, the same shopping cart that you or I later use to carry our food/clothing purchases. And, yes, sometimes there are "potty" accidents in the store.
gericoronado is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
karliebug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gericoronado View Post
I work for a large retail chain and people come in ALL THE TIME with dogs and puppies. No one is ever able to question the authenticity of the "service dog" even though a two-month old puppy is obviously NOT a service dog. These dogs are frequently carried around in the shopping cart...yes, the same shopping cart that you or I later use to carry our food/clothing purchases. And, yes, sometimes there are "potty" accidents in the store.
But a puppy may be a service dog in training. Depending on your state law, a puppy in training has the same accessibility rights as a fully trained service dog. That is how they learn how to behave in public.
karliebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karliebug View Post
But a puppy may be a service dog in training. Depending on your state law, a puppy in training has the same accessibility rights as a fully trained service dog. That is how they learn how to behave in public.
They might be.
Lets be realistic though, they probably aren't and that hurts the credibility of true service dogs and dogs in training. I find it gross that people assume we all welcome the dander, saliva and potty droppings of their toy dogs on our new goods because they don't want to separate from their pet for a trip to the store.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karliebug View Post
A good friend here trains dogs, and 'puppies' have to be a certain age and have a certain amount of training 'behind the scenes' to take out in public to 'train'. They 'must' be obedient to all the trainer's commands.

You don't take dogs, no matter the age, that are not potty trained!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:04 AM   #6
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gericoronado View Post
Why not?
Old 10-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
Section106
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
Why not?
Because you don't want to habituate a dog to go potty while they are working. It is the same reason you don't play with or pet a service dog while they are on duty. When they are working they are only working.
Section106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
Viva Las Disney
DIS Veteran

We see "service animals" very frequently where I work in Vegas, our policy is to ignore them and only notify security if the dog is acting aggressively, barking, or relieving itself (all things a real service dog is trained not to do). There are so many different service animals for so many different conditions you just can't tell by looking at the animal or the owner if it's real or not, it's not worth risking a 6 figure fine on a gut feeling.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #9
videogal1
Boogie Queen
Remember to pack the can opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Las Disney View Post
There are so many different service animals for so many different conditions you just can't tell by looking at the animal or the owner if it's real or not, it's not worth risking a 6 figure fine on a gut feeling.
Well, not really...A business can, according to COSTCO v Grill legally ask a person three questions to determine if their dog is a Service Dog:

1. Is that a Service Dog, as defined by the ADA?
2. Are you disabled, as defined by the ADA?
3. What is the dog individually trained to do to mitigate your disability?

These questions were designed by the court specifically to assist businesses in weeding out Service Dog impostors and it is up to the businesses, with the assistance of their legal advisors, to construct a strategy for their employees to follow to protect the business and their customers from any improper, undesirable, or dangerous activities the "service animal" might engage in.

It is also important for businesses to understand the difference between Emotional Support Animals, which are untrained "cuddlesome anxiety relievers" and whose handlers have NO public access rights except those that are specifically accorded them by the specific business they are visiting on the specific day they are there with their Emotional Support Animals.) It is also important to note that a Service Dog has NO rights itself. It is the right of a properly defined person with a disability to access public spaces when using a properly defined service dog. If a dog misbehaves it is legal for the business to ask the handler to remove it from the premises. The dog has no rights.
Inaugural 10-day Holiday Magic December '04
Inaugural Westward Repositioning cruise May '05
Service Dog Training cruise (HAL) November '04
BWI, BC, AKL, POP, POR, Poly, Sequoia (DLP) between '93 and 2003.
videogal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:10 AM   #10
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogal1 View Post
Well, not really...A business can, according to COSTCO v Grill legally ask a person three questions to determine if their dog is a Service Dog:

These questions were designed by the court specifically to assist businesses in weeding out Service Dog impostors and it is up to the businesses, with the assistance of their legal advisors, to construct a strategy for their employees to follow to protect the business and their customers from any improper, undesirable, or dangerous activities the "service animal" might engage in.

It is also important for businesses to understand the difference between Emotional Support Animals, which are untrained "cuddlesome anxiety relievers" and whose handlers have NO public access rights except those that are specifically accorded them by the specific business they are visiting on the specific day they are there with their Emotional Support Animals.) It is also important to note that a Service Dog has NO rights itself. It is the right of a properly defined person with a disability to access public spaces when using a properly defined service dog. If a dog misbehaves it is legal for the business to ask the handler to remove it from the premises. The dog has no rights.
The is quite right, there are ways for businesses to handle the posers. But the problem is they are so afraid of getting sued that they don't do what they should.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #11
MissMaryQC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
The is quite right, there are ways for businesses to handle the posers. But the problem is they are so afraid of getting sued that they don't do what they should.
So true. I work for a large retailer and we welcome animals into our store, except in our restaurant; only service animals are welcome there for health code reasons. Because we cater to our customers we tend to not question them, even when their "service dog" is sitting on their table eating from their plate...

MissMaryQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:22 AM   #12
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is definitely the issue. I have worked at 3 different places where we came in contact with lots of service dogs and all of them said unless the dog is tearing things up, having accidents, unkept or aggressive don't bother.

One thing I find interesting is every person I've met with a real service dog says they would gladly prove their dogs skills to a license board if it meant keeping the fakes down. Many of the service dog owners and trainers I've come in contact with say the fakes hurt them as well and having no license board or review means a lot of people in meed are being conned the biggest one right now being our soldiers battling PTSD. A PTSD dog takes a lot of training and some places are claiming they can find a dog and place it in under a month.

There is a big issue here in NYC of doctors writing fake prescriptions for emotional support dogs because they are protected for housing situations (only housing though not work or health code etc). I know several people that have had them written so they new landlord couldn't refuse their dog even though their lease said no dogs.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:49 AM   #13
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
This is definitely the issue. I have worked at 3 different places where we came in contact with lots of service dogs and all of them said unless the dog is tearing things up, having accidents, unkept or aggressive don't bother.

One thing I find interesting is every person I've met with a real service dog says they would gladly prove their dogs skills to a license board if it meant keeping the fakes down. Many of the service dog owners and trainers I've come in contact with say the fakes hurt them as well and having no license board or review means a lot of people in meed are being conned the biggest one right now being our soldiers battling PTSD. A PTSD dog takes a lot of training and some places are claiming they can find a dog and place it in under a month.

There is a big issue here in NYC of doctors writing fake prescriptions for emotional support dogs because they are protected for housing situations (only housing though not work or health code etc). I know several people that have had them written so they new landlord couldn't refuse their dog even though their lease said no dogs.
There would be issues with a licensing board, such as fees to do so when many people who truly do need service animals couldn't afford the fees.

As for PTSD dogs, it depends on the circumstances, I know some people with PTSD (not from the military, but some very traumatic life experiences) that have been able to get a service dog fairly quickly that met their needs.

As for writing fake prescriptions, they should be reported to the medical board and have their licenses to practice medicine revoked.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #14
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There would be issues with a licensing board, such as fees to do so when many people who truly do need service animals couldn't afford the fees. As for PTSD dogs, it depends on the circumstances, I know some people with PTSD (not from the military, but some very traumatic life experiences) that have been able to get a service dog fairly quickly that met their needs. As for writing fake prescriptions, they should be reported to the medical board and have their licenses to practice medicine revoked.
I always hear the money debate but if you want a handicap parking placard most states charge for that unless you can prove hardship. It is usually about $5. Why can we charge for those but not a service dog license? NY actually has a license but federal law trumps state law so not everyone gets one. I have worked with about 5 people who got the license even though they didn't need one because it proved their dog was legit.

On the PTSD dog thing I don't personally believe 6 weeks is enough training. I've seen it for other service dogs as well and there is no way you can fully train a dog to be a good canine citizen and service dog in that time. Most service dogs have been in training their whole first year of life and then go through another year of job based training. That is why the more reputable service dog trainers have waitlists. I only have limited experience in training service dogs but unless your friends got dogs that a trainer was already working with I find it hard to believe they trained them for the long hours with out potty breaks as well as noticing your friends cues for PTSD as well as whatever other task he may perform in such a short time.

with the doctor thing it seems like almost every doctor in NYC does it. What is required for an "emotional support" dog is so low that we have even been offered a prescription before. I refused it saying I don't have a disability that requires a dog I just have anxiety. It is like how they give Xanax out here like it is candy.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #15
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogal1 View Post

I can tell people that Walmart asks those 3 questions every single time we bring DD's Service Dog in.
He is a black Lab, wearing a red Service Dog vest and DD is in a wheelchair. So, it is pretty obvious that she is disabled and he belongs with her.
If more businesses asked, and more actually 'did' something with the dogs that are misbehaving, there would be less people pawning off fake ones.

As this poster noted, the dog has no rights and the person with a disability doesn't have the right to use the dog in that setting if the dog is not under control, is not house trained or is aggressive.
Under the ADA, a Service Dog is basically just another adaptive device.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: