Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
MinniesYooHoo
With the cows and the chickens, they all sound like the dickens when I hear my little Minnie...YOO HOO!

Magical Express to terminal?

Ok. So I am a complete cruise newbie so sorry for the dumb question. But is the Magical Express free from MCO?

I've been Boo'd!!!
Me DH DD(9) Granny: G-Daddy: Charlotte Mr. Tanner(The closest we could get to a hamster!)
MinniesYooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinniesYooHoo View Post
Ok. So I am a complete cruise newbie so sorry for the dumb question. But is the Magical Express free from MCO?
Well, yes and no.

Magical Express is the free shuttle that runs from MCO to WDW resorts.

Transportation from MCO to Port Canaveral is run by DCL transfers and costs $35.00 per person each way.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
MinniesYooHoo
With the cows and the chickens, they all sound like the dickens when I hear my little Minnie...YOO HOO!

So I would have to pay $350 to get my family of 5 to the port?!?! Any less expensive options?!

I've been Boo'd!!!
Me DH DD(9) Granny: G-Daddy: Charlotte Mr. Tanner(The closest we could get to a hamster!)
Old 07-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Yes, DCL transfers are expensive for larger parties. Many opt for a private car/limo service. Others opt for a rental, which is likely even less.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
MinniesYooHoo

Ok. So if I rent a car, what do I do with it while on the cruise? Do we then have to do the entire process in reverse once we return? (I'm sorry. I truly am completely ignorant to the world of cruising!)

I've been Boo'd!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok. So if I rent a car, what do I do with it while on the cruise? Do we then have to do the entire process in reverse once we return? (I'm sorry. I truly am completely ignorant to the world of cruising!)
If you rent a car, you can either park it in the terminal parking (and pay for it) or you can turn it in at the rental car place at PC, and the get a new rental when you return. Whatever works out the best (convenience and monetarily) for you.

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 07-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
MinniesYooHoo

Ok. How much is it to park at the terminal per day? We can book a rental for free with the amount of air miles my husband accrues.

I've been Boo'd!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

http://www.portcanaveral.com/cruising/parking.php
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)
Heading back to Disneyland December 12-16th!!! Taking my nieces on their first trip to DL!!!

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok. How much is it to park at the terminal per day? We can book a rental for free with the amount of air miles my husband accrues.
It depends on the length of your cruise. Here's a link to the PC parking info:

http://www.portcanaveral.com/cruising/parking.php

Old 07-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

We took a royal caribbean cruise out of Port Canaveral last May. We rented a car from MCO, drove to the port and dropped the car off at the rental location there. They had a free shuttle to the port. When we got off the ship, we got on the free shuttle back to the rental car place, placed up the car and were off. I think it was around $100 ($85 or something) each way since you pay a fee for picking and dropping off at different locations. Disney transportation is much more convenient for smaller parties, but yes, a hefty price for larger groups!

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:00 AM   #11
pieshop
Earning My Ears

Wink

Quote:
So I would have to pay $350 to get my family of 5 to the port?!?! Any less expensive options?!
We are getting to port from Animal Kingdom Lodge by limo and it is much less than $350, plus we don't have to pay for parking.
pieshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #12
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

It will be far cheaper to do two one-way renatals. Remember that if you leave your car at the terminal during your cruise you will also have to pay the rental cost for each of those days.

You should be able to get a minivan for less than $100, each way. Do some digging you should be able to find discount codes that will save you a significant amount. Just go with whichever major rental agency offers the best price. We have had good luck with Avis, Budget and national.

Another option would be a car service. It will be more than the car rental but less than the cost of Disney cruise transfers.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #13
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Technically $175 TO the port.

$350 for round trip.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
MinniesYooHoo

Thanks so much everyone for your responses. Clearly I have a lot to learn.

I've been Boo'd!!!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #15
NJTwinsdad
Earning My Ears

We have a family of 4 and always take DCL transport for one reason - the luggage transfers. Once we check our luggage in at our home airport, the next time we see it will be when we're in our cabin on the ship. On the way home, same thing in reverse. We pack quite a bit for a 7 day cruise and it's a real pleasure not to have to lug luggage all over the place. Car rentals and returns can be a drag too. Hey - I'm on vacation, I don't want to work that hard.
NJTwinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: