Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
cre8ivjay
Earning My Ears

Well, I've seen Falmouth...

I'd love to know what people thought about Falmouth.

Now having been there, it is the one place my mind seems to escape to. It's the place I remember most.

Mostly, because of the incredible dichotomy between the manufactured port and the town itself - two areas literally feet apart.

I was fortunate enough to walk around Falmouth.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know that I'd walk around the townsite with a big flashy camera and wads of money hanging out of my pockets (which I wouldn't do anywhere), but I never felt unsafe. Not once. In fact, had I more time, I probably could have really enjoyed myself in Falmouth taking in the culture, tastes, and sounds of a real Jamaican town.

While I was perhaps a little grubby and unshaven, the lady at the port gates looked me over a few times, and wasn't very pleasant as she allowed me back into the port area. It was then that I realized that our cruise dollars might not ever trickle down to the people of Falmouth. Most residents of the area likely NEVER see beyond those gates and it's RIGHT THERE! Just kinda sad.

I encourage you all to go beyond those gates. It's a really unique and rewarding experience. There's food, crafts, market places, music, dancing. Lots to see!! Far more so than the boring Jimmy Buffet's margaritas, DQ Blizzards, and Quiznos subs you'll find in the port.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. As people who frequent the area, I think we have an obligation to give some of our tourist dollars to the good people of Falmouth. By simply walking around their incredible town, I truly feel as though they have given me so much more.

J
cre8ivjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed reading about your perspective. Many of the reasons you mentioned are why my family and I have booked private excursions for all three ports. We want as authentic experience as we can get. We want to go a bit off the beaten path, meet the people who live in the places we're going to visit and learn about their culture. Can't wait!
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Castillo Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
3littleangels
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castillo Mom View Post
I enjoyed reading about your perspective. Many of the reasons you mentioned are why my family and I have booked private excursions for all three ports. We want as authentic experience as we can get. We want to go a bit off the beaten path, meet the people who live in the places we're going to visit and learn about their culture. Can't wait!
. Same here! We read tons of reviews for our upcoming Western Caribbean cruise and arrived to one conclusion - giving each port a fair chance before forming an opinion. Three ports and three private excursions. We are definitely looking forward to the opportunities of learning and experiencing other cultures!
3littleangels is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: