Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #1
KBinCO
Mouseketeer

Has anyone taken the Magical Express to WDW from MCO after a cruise?

I have convinced my kid that a day at WDW would be better than a birthday party (and it took quite a bit of convincing), and now I am trying to figure out logistics. Our current plans are: DCL transportation back to MCO, get a rental car, drive to the parks with our luggage in the car, drive back to MCO at the end of the day and sleep at the Hyatt- originally I thought we were going to have a 9:30am flight to catch.

Now, our flight isn't until 1:00pm. It's far cheaper to stay at a value resort and take the Magical Express- cheaper hotel, no rental car, little hassle. (assuming I can cancel our current reservations).

But the Magical Express (which I've never taken before- I've never stayed on site at a Disney resort!) says it needs our incoming flight info to book. We won't be flying into MCO that day, just taking the DCL transportation... any idea how that works?
KBinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

If you have DCL transportation, they will take you to WDW. We do not have DCL transfers and are dropping our rental from the port at MCO and using MDE to get to the Beach Club after our cruise. I just picked a flight to enter.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #3
KBinCO
Mouseketeer

Does DCL transportation charge extra to drop off at the parks?

eta- my brother took care of booking the transportation so I haven't looked into this at all.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #4
Sandman1234
Earning My Ears

I am doing something like this in December. I am going from the port to WDW, then WDW to MCO. I had to call disney cruise line and talk to someone and they set up my transfer from the port to my hotel at Walt disney world. They will add the cost of the bus to your cruise package. Also in order to get from Walt disney world to MCO, I had to talk to the customer service line for the reservations at WDW as I did a package online through disney.

Hope that helps.
Sandman1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 AM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Just call disney to arrange the DME; they can work around the flight thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBinCO View Post
Does DCL transportation charge extra to drop off at the parks?

eta- my brother took care of booking the transportation so I haven't looked into this at all.
DCL transportation doesn't go to the parks. They go to the resort for people with reservations. Same cost as going to the airport.

To take the DCL bus to the resort you are thinking of booking (after arranging for it, of course), you take your bags to the bus and have them stowed underneath. When you get to the resort you get them back and go check in, store bags, etc.

Have you looked into a car rental from the port, to be dropped off at the Car Care Center? Might be less expensive than the bus, but do check it out before making any unchangeable plans.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:03 AM   #6
KBinCO
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Just call disney to arrange the DME; they can work around the flight thing.

DCL transportation doesn't go to the parks. They go to the resort for people with reservations. Same cost as going to the airport.

To take the DCL bus to the resort you are thinking of booking (after arranging for it, of course), you take your bags to the bus and have them stowed underneath. When you get to the resort you get them back and go check in, store bags, etc.

Have you looked into a car rental from the port, to be dropped off at the Car Care Center? Might be less expensive than the bus, but do check it out before making any unchangeable plans.
My parents paid for our DCL transportation so I do not need to worry about that cost. I will make some phone calls in the morning to see what I can figure out. It makes more sense if we can be dropped off directly to our resort instead of the airport to catch the magical express. Either way, it eliminates the cost and hassle of getting a rental car, plus worrying about car seats and boosters for the littles.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:22 AM   #7
SillyInventor
Mouseketeer

DCL provides direct transfers to the WDW resorts. No need to pass MCO for this. If think you can even label your luggage so they are directly transferred to the resort and will be at the resort's bell service, but check if I'm right. Charge is the same for transfers to MCO or WDW.
Then from your resort use the WDW transportation to the park(s). Next morning, take the ME to MCO to catch your flight. I think changing an existing reservation to this schedule is beyond the on-line booking possibilities. You will have to call Disney and explain what you want. It's not a rare or difficult transfer to book, so this shouldn't take long or be complicated.
Enjoy your vacation!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #8
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyInventor View Post
DCL provides direct transfers to the WDW resorts. No need to pass MCO for this. If think you can even label your luggage so they are directly transferred to the resort and will be at the resort's bell service, but check if I'm right. Charge is the same for transfers to MCO or WDW.
Then from your resort use the WDW transportation to the park(s). Next morning, take the ME to MCO to catch your flight. I think changing an existing reservation to this schedule is beyond the on-line booking possibilities. You will have to call Disney and explain what you want. It's not a rare or difficult transfer to book, so this shouldn't take long or be complicated.
Enjoy your vacation!
Bolded is incorrect. There IS direct bus service from the port to WDW for $35 pp but you have to claim your own luggage in the terminal after the cruise and bring it through customs with you and out to the bus. As mentioned by bumbershoot your bags will go on the bus with you to the resort. There is NO direct luggage service for your bags from port to WDW like there is from WDW to port. After the cruise your luggage must be claimed and taken through customs.

Once you leave the terminal after passing through customs a CM will direct you to the right bus for your WDW resort. The cost is the same as if you were taking DCL bus to the airport ($35 pp way). A porter is most helpful in getting all your luggage together and through customs and out to the bus.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
KBinCO
Mouseketeer

One more question... if we are staying on site and take the DCL transport to our resort, the resort will be able to keep our luggage even if we arrive before check in, is that right? Like if we arrive in the morning to go to the parks, we can still leave our luggage at the resort we choose?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Quote:
One more question... if we are staying on site and take the DCL transport to our resort, the resort will be able to keep our luggage even if we arrive before check in, is that right? Like if we arrive in the morning to go to the parks, we can still leave our luggage at the resort we choose?
Yes. Bell services will hold your luggage for you until your room is ready.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
kiford
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Depending on how busy the resort is, you might even get a room. We usually have the later breakfast, get on the DCL bus about 9:30 and head to the resort. They've always had a room ready for us. We usually go in early December so it might be less busy then. However, as someone else pointed out, you will be able to leave your bags if it's not yet ready.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: