Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #31
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynme View Post
We do not feel guilty when we skip for Palo or Remy's. We always tell our servers the night before. But, our most recent cruise, the servers acted put out that we weren't going to dine with them the next night. It rubbed me the wrong way.
Our server acted like a clingy ex when we wanted to dine elsewhere, I really disliked the service in the MDR.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #32
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDS View Post
Our server acted like a clingy ex when we wanted to dine elsewhere, I really disliked the service in the MDR.
Best description ever!!
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #33
for my family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcbass View Post
I don't understand it either. I seems as if someone didn't show for dinner it would mean less work and people to keep up with. I doubt very many people reduce the tip amount so they are still getting their money.
I think they truly like waiting on us, and they get sad when we're not there.
for my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #34
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by for my family View Post
I think they truly like waiting on us, and they get sad when we're not there.
That depends. We have done 4 cruises... 3 were on the DCL.

The first was with 3 kids. Second was 4 kids and 3 other family members. On both of those the waitstaff was FANTASTIC. Especially the latter of the two.

The last cruise we went on was jut my wife and I. It was a 7 night cruise. We asked to sit at a table by ourself. While we enjoyed the feeling of every night was a date night, we also often felt ignored from the entire staff. . When we did see the server and assistant, they were nice and friendly. But then they would disappear for long periods of time. And the head server only made a couple of cameo appearences. After several days of this, it started to feel like we were ignored.

We did eat at both Palo and Remy and told them the night before. They were sad that we wouldn't be there and said to have a nice time.

In the end, we choose to lower all three of the gratuities. First we only had service on 5 out of 7 nights. But also we just didn't feel that they earned the standard tip. I have worked as a waiter through college and understand the "joys" of the service business. Typically I am very generous with tips.

But on the other hand tips are earned not a preset amount. This is true even on the DCL. All you have to do is go to guest services before the day to disembark and you can adjust the tips up or down.

At our final breakfast, we saw our servers when they came to the table to take our order. Then when we got our food. We waited around for 20 minutes after we were down to say goodbye and give them the envelope and they never came. Eventually we left them on the table and walked away.

I truly believe good service should always go rewarded. Tipping should be an expected amount included in the cost of eating out. But on the other hand, the quality of service (or lack there of) should determine the tip amount; not what someone else tells you that you have to tip.
mmcxiiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #35
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
That depends. We have done 4 cruises... 3 were on the DCL. The first was with 3 kids. Second was 4 kids and 3 other family members. On both of those the waitstaff was FANTASTIC. Especially the latter of the two. The last cruise we went on was jut my wife and I. It was a 7 night cruise. We asked to sit at a table by ourself. While we enjoyed the feeling of every night was a date night, we also often felt ignored from the entire staff. . When we did see the server and assistant, they were nice and friendly. But then they would disappear for long periods of time. And the head server only made a couple of cameo appearences. After several days of this, it started to feel like we were ignored. We did eat at both Palo and Remy and told them the night before. They were sad that we wouldn't be there and said to have a nice time. In the end, we choose to lower all three of the gratuities. First we only had service on 5 out of 7 nights. But also we just didn't feel that they earned the standard tip. I have worked as a waiter through college and understand the "joys" of the service business. Typically I am very generous with tips. But on the other hand tips are earned not a preset amount. This is true even on the DCL. All you have to do is go to guest services before the day to disembark and you can adjust the tips up or down. At our final breakfast, we saw our servers when they came to the table to take our order. Then when we got our food. We waited around for 20 minutes after we were down to say goodbye and give them the envelope and they never came. Eventually we left them on the table and walked away. I truly believe good service should always go rewarded. Tipping should be an expected amount included in the cost of eating out. But on the other hand, the quality of service (or lack there of) should determine the tip amount; not what someone else tells you that you have to tip.
Very intelligent post. Enjoyed the perspective. Thanks for sharing.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 DCL Wonder Double Dip 2x B2B (4 stops at CC!)
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #36
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

Thank you! I believe a tip should be earned too and now days it is more of a expectation regardless of the service.

I do think that on cruises the passengers get caught up in the servers stories and tip based on that too. They all have a hardship story to tell and so in tipping them good you feel as if you are helping them and their family out (even if they didn't give good service).

I just don't get them being upset if we aren't there. They see LOTS of families so missing one every once in a while can't be that big of a deal. I wonder if some of their tables don't show up if Disney gives them more work in another area to do.

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
ptcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #37
over50visits
DIS Veteran

We don't feel bad, but we absolutely let them know we won't be there. Just common courtesy. And since they are there for us because we reserved our table as part of the cruise deal, our seats remain empty whether we are there or not, and they are there for us no matter what. So, of course, we give them at least the recommended tip. I appreciate they are there so we can change our mind at the last minute.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: