Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #376
klepton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
I made it to Lifetime Gold last fall - just in time to not get the fee waived! I still love the Swan (especially) and Dolphin, and I'm looking forward to staying there again in December.

I am leaning towards not getting another AP, as I've been cutting back on the WDW trips. I am not looking forward to the FP+ debacle.
Not trying to steer you towards an AP, but after a few trips this year I would say that FP+ really isn't that bad. Or at least it wasn't for us. There are aspects about it I would change, but overall we had a great system utilizing rope drop, last 90 minutes before park closing, and FP+ to fill out the days. We always went back to the resort in the afternoons for some naps/down time, which allowed us to both open and close the parks. We rode everything we wanted to as many times as we wanted to, and never waited more than 15 minutes except for the time space mountain went down for maintenance. Just make good use of your fastpasses, only use them for rides with long waits and don't use them before 10am or after 8pm for the most part.

Have the AP made this easy for us, as we often did one park in the morning and another at night. Park hopper option would get you this as well.

Best of luck!
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #377
klepton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneydoneWright View Post
We are gold spg members and last time we were at the Swan (2012) they waived the resort fee. I think you get to chose between extra points or that and we chose to have the resort fee waived. Hoping to do the same on our next visit!
Yeah, that wasn't an option for us or I would have jumped on it! I got the choose between the points or a drink certificate. I chose the drink certificate, but never ended up using it, so at checkout I asked to have it converted to the points option.

I think the resort fee and charge for parking are the most legitimate gripes for the Swan/Dolphin. If you have a car the parking and resort fees really add up. I guess they can get away with it though... without those two things I'd feel like I was stealing something based on the price/location...
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #378
lilasmom
DIS Veteran

Hi, we're going to be staying at the Swan this September for the first time. Is it under refurbishment? Also, has anyone tried the seafood buffet at the Garden Grove on Friday nights? Do you recommend it? Thanks!!

lilasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #379
jamesyoung26
Earning My Ears

Swan View from Suite

I very much appreciate this board's existence and the great information from other contributors. I have found some great posts regarding views. However, I am hoping to book a suite at the swan. The ability to close off an area will work great for our family. However, is there any chance that there will be a view of epcot fireworks from a suite? Thanks in advance for any information or insight.
jamesyoung26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #380
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klepton View Post
Not trying to steer you towards an AP, but after a few trips this year I would say that FP+ really isn't that bad. Or at least it wasn't for us. There are aspects about it I would change, but overall we had a great system utilizing rope drop, last 90 minutes before park closing, and FP+ to fill out the days. We always went back to the resort in the afternoons for some naps/down time, which allowed us to both open and close the parks. We rode everything we wanted to as many times as we wanted to, and never waited more than 15 minutes except for the time space mountain went down for maintenance. Just make good use of your fastpasses, only use them for rides with long waits and don't use them before 10am or after 8pm for the most part.

Have the AP made this easy for us, as we often did one park in the morning and another at night. Park hopper option would get you this as well.

Best of luck!
Thanks! While the AP is tempting, I don't want to spend any more money on WDW tickets for awhile. I have gone to WDW a lot since 2001, and I've just about reached the saturation point.

I'm going to spend the first 3 days/nights of my trip at Universal before I move to the Swan for 7 nights. I have a 7-day Universal park hopper that I bought in 2010 @ ~ $100 before the WWoHP opened. I also have a 5-day MYW ticket. I plan to use the 5-day ticket as is in December, but add one more day @ $10.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #381
wareagle57
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if the $25 per additional guest per night applies to the military salute discount as well?
wareagle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #382
SA mom
DIS Veteran

We just returned from the Swan yesterday so here are a few things:

1) Renovation on the Swan started Monday.

2) With renovation, the bus stop has moved to the west side of the entrance. As you exit, go right instead of left.

3) With the construction at Downtown Disney, all buses leaving Typhoon Lagoon after 2pm go to Epcot where you have transfer to your resort. Typhoon Lagoon buses served all Epcot resorts last week. Either leave before 2 or take your own car. If a rainstorm breaks, it takes about a long time to get everyone out on Disney Transportation.

4) The rollaway beds have been upgraded to an even thicker, more heavenly mattress. Housekeeping was complaining about how heavy they were to move around. The rollaway felt just like our mattress. Sooooo comfy!

Hope everyone has a great trip!
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #383
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA mom View Post
We just returned from the Swan yesterday so here are a few things:

1) Renovation on the Swan started Monday.

2) With renovation, the bus stop has moved to the west side of the entrance. As you exit, go right instead of left.

3) With the construction at Downtown Disney, all buses leaving Typhoon Lagoon after 2pm go to Epcot where you have transfer to your resort. Typhoon Lagoon buses served all Epcot resorts last week. Either leave before 2 or take your own car. If a rainstorm breaks, it takes about a long time to get everyone out on Disney Transportation.

4) The rollaway beds have been upgraded to an even thicker, more heavenly mattress. Housekeeping was complaining about how heavy they were to move around. The rollaway felt just like our mattress. Sooooo comfy!

Hope everyone has a great trip!
Great info...thanks. Good to know about the rollaways if we ever need one.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #384
mousegear
DIS Veteran

I just switched our stay from YC to Dolphin for our September trip. We had APs and with AP discount 35% at YC is twice as much as what will be at Dolphin (including the resort fee). We will be there from 9/23~28 to celebrate DS' birthday. We are making a short trip for MNSHHP and F&W so staying at Epcot resort is a must since we plan to spend most nights wandering World Showcase. We've only stayed at Disney owned resort before. However, I think we will be fine at Dolphin since we always rent a car ( I know about a parking fee) so transportation is solved. Also, I have TiW card, so we don't need DDP.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #385
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Ok I promise last question(s)!

Is there a coffee maker in the executive suites? Also, does anyone have a link to printable maps of the Dolphin itself? And/or the Boardwalk area so I can layout our walks/see where the exec suites are and I can learn the layout. I hate not knowing where I'm going. And is the walk truly only 10-15 to Epcot? Any requests for views I should put on my reservation.

Last edited by MomofDisneyLoversx3; 07-28-2014 at 12:08 PM.
MomofDisneyLoversx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #386
ckelly14
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
Ok I promise last question(s)!

Is there a coffee maker in the executive suites? Also, does anyone have a link to printable maps of the Dolphin itself? And/or the Boardwalk area so I can layout our walks/see where the exec suites are and I can learn the layout. I hate not knowing where I'm going. And is the walk truly only 10-15 to Epcot? Any requests for views I should put on my reservation.
We stayed at an exec. Suite at the Dolphin in June. It has the mini (1-cup) coffee maker with Starbucks coffee pods. I usually get a refillable coffee cup from Picabu that I can access 24/7.

I used Google maps to estimate the distance from the Dolphin to international gateway to be 2,352 feet . So yes, it should truly take no more than 15 minutes.
ckelly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #387
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly14 View Post
We stayed at an exec. Suite at the Dolphin in June. It has the mini (1-cup) coffee maker with Starbucks coffee pods. I usually get a refillable coffee cup from Picabu that I can access 24/7.

I used Google maps to estimate the distance from the Dolphin to international gateway to be 2,352 feet . So yes, it should truly take no more than 15 minutes.
Which kind of pods? The k-cup style or the flat ones? We are doing a grocery stop so I can grab them. What else can you tell me about the Exec. Suite?

I love that you google mapped it!!!

MomofDisneyLoversx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #388
Dan Murphy
We are family.

They are flat coffee pads, about 3-4 in diameter, makes one serving at a time. They are not K-cups. You can get as many as you want from housekeeping.

http://www.swandolphin.com/activities/jogging_map.html

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/swandolphmap.htm

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #389
jprieur
Earning My Ears

Swan alcove suite

Getting married at the Swan/Dolphin in late october and have chosen the Swan as our accommodation choice between the two hotels for our room block. As the bride and groom I asked for a suite for ourselves and they are putting us in an alcove suite.

Has anyone stayed in one of the Alcove Suites at the swan? Thoughts on the room? Any specific room # recommendations?

Obviously its a special time for the soon to be wife and I, so want everything to be as perfect as possible, including the room! I have seen the floor plan on the swan website, just wanted more thoughts.
jprieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #390
SA mom
DIS Veteran

We've stayed in an Alcove Suite before. We actually had 5 people in there and it was plenty big for us. I'm sure you will be extremely comfortable with just the 2 of you. I don't remember our room number, but we could see Epcot fireworks from our room.

We were booked in an Alcove Suite on our last trip (just last week) but were upgraded to a Jr. Suite. I didn't see a big difference between them except the Jr. Suite had a wet bar and the alcove did not. It was nice having that extra sink with 4 of us in the room.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: