Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
tiriggs1
Mouseketeer

Transportation POR vs POFQ

I have been back and forth between which resort to stay at, Riverside or French Quarter. I understand the way the 2 resorts occasionally share transportation, but not always at peak times. We are traveling the 3rd week of September and it is not a peak season.

What are your experiences with wait times?

How often do the resorts share buses between 8am-10am?

Is the difference in travel time "to the parks" from POR vs POFQ that great of a difference or just a few minutes (under 5min)?

Is the line after evening fireworks or Fantasmic a great deal shorter for POFQ?

Do the 2 resorts share a queue for the "return trip to the resort" or separate queue's?
tiriggs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiriggs1 View Post
I have been back and forth between which resort to stay at, Riverside or French Quarter. I understand the way the 2 resorts occasionally share transportation, but not always at peak times. We are traveling the 3rd week of September and it is not a peak season.

What are your experiences with wait times?
Anywhere between walking right on and ~20 minutes.

Quote:
How often do the resorts share buses between 8am-10am?
In our experience, 4 trips, not once during those times.

Quote:
Is the difference in travel time "to the parks" from POR vs POFQ that great of a difference or just a few minutes (under 5min)?
Definitely under 5 minute difference.

Quote:
Is the line after evening fireworks or Fantasmic a great deal shorter for POFQ?
Generally yes because it is much smaller than POR so there are way less people staying at POFQ. But to offset that, they will sometimes send 2 buses at once for POR as opposed to 1 for POFQ.

Quote:
Do the 2 resorts share a queue for the "return trip to the resort" or separate queue's?
Separate queues.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

Our one stay at POFQ we shared buses and boat with POR - didn't take that much time though. Wait times for POFQ from parks very little. Loved POFQ
Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
NewCrew42
One Day I'll be a Galactic Hero!

We were at POFQ this past June. We shared with POR during the early morning going to MK only. The bus stopped at POFQ and then made one stop at the south depot for POR.

POFQ - June 2014, POFQ - June 2013, POFQ - July 2010, Pop Century - March 2009, Pop Century - April 2008, Pop Century - May 2007, Contemporary - May 2006, Grand Floridian - May 2005, Contemporary - May 2004, Contemporary - May 2003, Off-site - June 1992
NewCrew42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:13 PM   #5
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

We were at POFQ for two weeks this June. Sometimes we would share a bus returning from a park. Usually, if we shared a bus, it stopped at POFQ first. Once it stopped at all four POR stops, then POFQ. That took forever and made us glad we were at POFQ with only one bus stop. We picked POFQ for it's small size. Our room was literally 100 steps from the food court. Several times we walked down to POR to eat and it is a beautiful walk along the river!

The boats to DTD always share. A boat comes from DTD, stops at POFQ to let people off. Then continues to POR to drop off and pick up, then returns to POFQ to pick up for DTD. It seems like it would be a wait but it wasn't. They seemed to have a lot of boats running and we usually only waited about 10 min for one.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
tiriggs1
Mouseketeer

I love the look and amenities of POR. I have switched my reservation between the 2 resorts 3 times since November of last year. Currently have Preferred Room at POR. The bus system makes me want to switch back to FQ. I just need to decide if 1 bus stop is more important than the resort/room itself. We will spend some time at the resort, a few half days. Hmmmm. This is so tough. I am going with my 10yr old son. Just the 2 of us. I am totally overthinking this. I wish the bus stories (and some CM comments) weren't so negative. I would pick POR and be done with my resort decision! Lol. Thank you guys for the info!
Old 07-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
shaneray
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I love the look and amenities of POR. I have switched my reservation between the 2 resorts 3 times since November of last year. Currently have Preferred Room at POR. The bus system makes me want to switch back to FQ. I just need to decide if 1 bus stop is more important than the resort/room itself. We will spend some time at the resort, a few half days. Hmmmm. This is so tough. I am going with my 10yr old son. Just the 2 of us. I am totally overthinking this. I wish the bus stories (and some CM comments) weren't so negative. I would pick POR and be done with my resort decision! Lol. Thank you guys for the info!
When coming back from resorts you can always use the FQ bus to get back from the parks in the event that the POR bus stop is overflowing. It's 10-15 min walk along the river.
shaneray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
boltfan
DIS Veteran

At the parks, the resorts share bus stops, so going back isn't the big difference. It's the rides TO the parks that make the difference. POFQ is always first on the route and if it fills there, the bus goes directly to the parks and POR has to wait until the next one. This doesn't happen often during slow times, but I have seen it happen when there are multiple ECV's/wheelchairs at the POFQ bus stop. I also like being first off at night when I'm exhausted and just want to get to the hotel. At POR, we had to wait multiple times for 30 mins or more for a bus and this was in December. At POFQ, the longest I've ever waited is 20 minutes, usually 15 or less.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
ariane37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltfan View Post
At the parks, the resorts share bus stops, so going back isn't the big difference. It's the rides TO the parks that make the difference. POFQ is always first on the route and if it fills there, the bus goes directly to the parks and POR has to wait until the next one. This doesn't happen often during slow times, but I have seen it happen when there are multiple ECV's/wheelchairs at the POFQ bus stop. I also like being first off at night when I'm exhausted and just want to get to the hotel. At POR, we had to wait multiple times for 30 mins or more for a bus and this was in December. At POFQ, the longest I've ever waited is 20 minutes, usually 15 or less.
I agree with some of this Rides TO the parks matter a bit more and when sharing busses POFQ is first for pick-up, at least in our experience. We stayed there May 2013 after friends of ours had a fantastic time in Nov. 2012-no bus sharing, but it was the week after Thanksgiving. We loved the resort and also had no bus sharing at all in mid-May. We stayed again this past Feb., the week leading up to Presidents Day (8th through 15th, 17th being Pres. day). We shared busses w/ POR EVERY SINGLE TIME. We were always 1st to get on which was great, and also never waited more than about 15 min. Then we would go to POR's 4 stops so by the time we actually were on our way to a park, it was anywhere from 10-20 minutes after we'd gotten on. As boltfan said the resorts shared coming home from parks but FQ wasn't always the first off for us lol, so sometimes we sat through all POR's stops.

I always felt bad for the guests at POR when getting on the bus, because by their 2nd or 3rd stop they all had to stand-every day, and once or twice all seats were taken up when we left FQ but bus still went to POR. And this was during what Disney considers "slow" time, which we heard from a few CM's at the bus stops and also in the food courts at FQ and AOA. It wasn't really that busy until the weekend either but b/c of POR size, there were always lots of people waiting for the bus between the 4 stops.

We've walked the grounds of POR a few times and I think both are pretty but I do like the theming better at POR. For busses, I'd go FQ but be aware you may share in Sept.

Many trips as a kid with DM, DD, Dsis and Grams** July 1990(off-site)** Oct. 2000(off-site),1st trip with DH** Oct. 2006 (off-site) 1st trip with the boys!**Jan. 2007 (off-site), trip w/ extended family** Nov. 2007 OKW, first time on-site!**Oct. 2010 BWV** Oct. 2011 offsite/SSR** Nov. 2012 BWV** May 2013 POFQ** Feb. 2014 POFQ/AOA LM** Aug. 2014 CSR
ariane37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
tiriggs1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariane37 View Post
I agree with some of this Rides TO the parks matter a bit more and when sharing busses POFQ is first for pick-up, at least in our experience. We stayed there May 2013 after friends of ours had a fantastic time in Nov. 2012-no bus sharing, but it was the week after Thanksgiving. We loved the resort and also had no bus sharing at all in mid-May. We stayed again this past Feb., the week leading up to Presidents Day (8th through 15th, 17th being Pres. day). We shared busses w/ POR EVERY SINGLE TIME. We were always 1st to get on which was great, and also never waited more than about 15 min. Then we would go to POR's 4 stops so by the time we actually were on our way to a park, it was anywhere from 10-20 minutes after we'd gotten on. As boltfan said the resorts shared coming home from parks but FQ wasn't always the first off for us lol, so sometimes we sat through all POR's stops.

I always felt bad for the guests at POR when getting on the bus, because by their 2nd or 3rd stop they all had to stand-every day, and once or twice all seats were taken up when we left FQ but bus still went to POR. And this was during what Disney considers "slow" time, which we heard from a few CM's at the bus stops and also in the food courts at FQ and AOA. It wasn't really that busy until the weekend either but b/c of POR size, there were always lots of people waiting for the bus between the 4 stops.

We've walked the grounds of POR a few times and I think both are pretty but I do like the theming better at POR. For busses, I'd go FQ but be aware you may share in Sept.

Thank you. I appreciate the info Did the bus go or the South bus stop (main stop by the lobby) at POR after the French Quarter pick up? I have a preferred room currently booked. We would get on at the South bus stop. You had mentioned that sometime by the 2nd or 3rd stop the bus would be full. Just curious about the order.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #11
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

10 days third week of September in Royal room, we always used the South Depot. Never during peak times did the bus arrive with other guests, we were first. Most times it was full and standing by time we left POR. Once coming home in the afternoon our bus did share - since it had not happened before we just got off at first stop .... ooops POFQ. Walk isn't bad but we had reservations at CA Grill, a sweet man with a service golf cart said "jump in" and drove us to our rooms.

PP poster is correct on boat, it is a boat that travels up and down river to all resorts, not designated for one.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 8x (1xBusClass) ~ PO Riverside 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek ~ PO French Quarter
POP Century 15x ~ Hilton DTD 2x ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 3x ~ B Resort
All Star Movie ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #12
ariane37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you. I appreciate the info Did the bus go or the South bus stop (main stop by the lobby) at POR after the French Quarter pick up? I have a preferred room currently booked. We would get on at the South bus stop. You had mentioned that sometime by the 2nd or 3rd stop the bus would be full. Just curious about the order.
I believe South Depot was always the last stop the bus made at POR when we shared, so they were smooshed on lol. I will say though that I was talking with another Dis'er who was there at the same time as we were, also at POFQ, after our trip. She said her and her DD only shared busses with POR about half the time. I thought it was weird since 5 of our 7 days overlapped with hers!! And as you can see from HopperFan's post they had a very good experience at POR using the South Depot, different time of year form when we were there but same month you're going.

My gut feeling is that, based on everything I've experienced and read here, chances for good transportation are better at POFQ. That said, Riverside wouldn't have such a huge following if their transportation was really that bad that often! This probably confuses you more than helps, sorry!!

Many trips as a kid with DM, DD, Dsis and Grams** July 1990(off-site)** Oct. 2000(off-site),1st trip with DH** Oct. 2006 (off-site) 1st trip with the boys!**Jan. 2007 (off-site), trip w/ extended family** Nov. 2007 OKW, first time on-site!**Oct. 2010 BWV** Oct. 2011 offsite/SSR** Nov. 2012 BWV** May 2013 POFQ** Feb. 2014 POFQ/AOA LM** Aug. 2014 CSR
ariane37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #13
lady_hlh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneray View Post
When coming back from resorts you can always use the FQ bus to get back from the parks in the event that the POR bus stop is overflowing. It's 10-15 min walk along the river.
We did this all the time at the end of August because the bus line for POR was so long and there was none for FQ. I liked everything about POR except the transportation it was the worst that we have ever had and we've stayed at (POP, CSR, OKW, AKL, CR, BC, YC).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: