Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
niclodn
Mouseketeer

I personally think that any way you want to do Disney is the best way I have done trips before where I have only done 3 attractions in an entire weekend. But then again, I'm an AP holder and go often. So, I think having an MK day as a back-up plan is a good idea. What I mainly wanted to comment on is the standby line for 7DMT. I have waited in it 3 times since it opened and can promise you that it is not bad at all! All 3 times were fairly late at night, so it might be a different experience earlier in the day. But the outside portion moves pretty quickly (about half of the line is outside if its backed up to the entrance) and we hardly noticed how long we were in that portion of the line (about 30 minutes) because we were trying to avoid the hurricane force fans set up about every 15 feet (it was chilly and those fans REALLY blow hard!). Once you hit the inside portion, the interactive stuff will help the time go by faster. It is really fun and something that you miss out on entirely using FP+. Plus every time we waited the actual wait was about 15-20 minutes shorter than posted.
niclodn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #17
disneyeveryyear
Not fully packed until she gets on the plane and then there’s always Wal-Mart!
Disney Lover!!!! (I think I am addicted to exclamation points!)

JDDD-

Here are my thoughts.

If the weather is bad enough to shut down rides at TL, it may as well shut down 7DMT and SM also (since both have outside components that often close due to weather). $300 is a lot of money if you can't ride your go-to rides. If you could buy 10-day no expire to use for your next trip also, it might make financial sense.

I just look on MDE, and there are not 3 FPs available for 7DMT on 7/25, and since you would buy the tickets at the gate, you wouldn't be prebooking anyway, so it was be almost impossible to get them day of.

Should you decide to do it, you MUST be there at RD and high tail it to 7DMT immediately (there are instructions on here on how to get to the front first), otherwise you will be looking at approximately 70-100 minute waits all day until closing. Then you could do Splash Mountain with a FP+ you schedule in the park after riding 7DMT.

I would be hard pressed to not sneak into a park when in Orlando, I have often thought of the relaxing no-park trip, but then I get the shakes, and start booking FP+ and ordering tickets

I guess my biggest concern is the whole weather issue. I probably wouldn't take a $300 chance.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Rain doesn't mean lightning. Things get closed if there is lightning in a certain radius around a place. I think it's five miles. And they open it once the lightning is gone. And while I'm no expert, in general I believe the rainstorms tend to happen more towards the afternoon in general.

Lovely thing about Disney is that you can use it as a teaching tool for patience. "If you want to go on that ride, we will get in this line of people who all want to ride it just as much as you do, and we ALL need to understand that it's going to be a long wait." If a typical kid really wants to ride it, then they need to stay ok in the lines. If the lines are too much, let's go do something else.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #19
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niclodn View Post
I personally think that any way you want to do Disney is the best way I have done trips before where I have only done 3 attractions in an entire weekend. But then again, I'm an AP holder and go often. So, I think having an MK day as a back-up plan is a good idea. What I mainly wanted to comment on is the standby line for 7DMT. I have waited in it 3 times since it opened and can promise you that it is not bad at all! All 3 times were fairly late at night, so it might be a different experience earlier in the day. But the outside portion moves pretty quickly (about half of the line is outside if its backed up to the entrance) and we hardly noticed how long we were in that portion of the line (about 30 minutes) because we were trying to avoid the hurricane force fans set up about every 15 feet (it was chilly and those fans REALLY blow hard!). Once you hit the inside portion, the interactive stuff will help the time go by faster. It is really fun and something that you miss out on entirely using FP+. Plus every time we waited the actual wait was about 15-20 minutes shorter than posted.
Love hearing this about the line! That makes me feel much better. We were AP holders, as well, but didn't renew this year due to it not making financial sense due to the dates of our upcoming trips and the expiration of our passes. Oh, and I agree about doing Disney in your own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyeveryyear View Post
JDDD-

Here are my thoughts.

If the weather is bad enough to shut down rides at TL, it may as well shut down 7DMT and SM also (since both have outside components that often close due to weather). $300 is a lot of money if you can't ride your go-to rides. If you could buy 10-day no expire to use for your next trip also, it might make financial sense.

I just look on MDE, and there are not 3 FPs available for 7DMT on 7/25, and since you would buy the tickets at the gate, you wouldn't be prebooking anyway, so it was be almost impossible to get them day of.

Should you decide to do it, you MUST be there at RD and high tail it to 7DMT immediately (there are instructions on here on how to get to the front first), otherwise you will be looking at approximately 70-100 minute waits all day until closing. Then you could do Splash Mountain with a FP+ you schedule in the park after riding 7DMT.

I would be hard pressed to not sneak into a park when in Orlando, I have often thought of the relaxing no-park trip, but then I get the shakes, and start booking FP+ and ordering tickets

I guess my biggest concern is the whole weather issue. I probably wouldn't take a $300 chance.
I'm concerned about the same weather shutting down Typhoon Lagoon and Splash and 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. On the positive side, Pirates, Small World, Tiki Room, and Haunted Mansion would all still be running and my family all loves those. I figure my daughter would understand why she couldn't go on Splash and Mine Train if it was due to weather because she understood not being able to go on Splash when it was closed for refurb. I appreciate the info about no FP+ being available for Mine Train. I figured that was going to be the case, but it is nice to have it confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Rain doesn't mean lightning. Things get closed if there is lightning in a certain radius around a place. I think it's five miles. And they open it once the lightning is gone. And while I'm no expert, in general I believe the rainstorms tend to happen more towards the afternoon in general.

Lovely thing about Disney is that you can use it as a teaching tool for patience. "If you want to go on that ride, we will get in this line of people who all want to ride it just as much as you do, and we ALL need to understand that it's going to be a long wait." If a typical kid really wants to ride it, then they need to stay ok in the lines. If the lines are too much, let's go do something else.
I figure that if there is lightening in the area when we wake up, we will just not chance TL. If it is just raining, we will make a judgement call right then. If it is lovely, we are heading to the water park. I can handle the afternoon rainstorms just fine. Plus, if it is a thunderstorm in the afternoon rather than just a rain storm, at lest we would have gotten in a few good hours at TL, right? Our daughter did pretty good waiting in lines in January, but I can't see her waiting in the hour+ long lines of Mine Train.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #20
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

IMHO, I'd do MK.

Here's why: what a great surprise for your daughter! She's not expecting it at all, knows not to ask for it, and you're going to be right there, so only you know how excited she would be if you decided to take a quick tour on the monorail, and then get off at MK and go ride the rides she can't stop talking about! It's like a miniature surprise trip, and I'd bet it would be a trip she wouldn't stop talking about for a long, long time - "Remember when we rode Splash Mountain for the first time?" "Remember when you surprised me?" "Remember when we went to MK and I didn't even KNOW?"

Now, if she's not the type to like surprises, YMMV. But if she'd be psyched to suddenly be hanging out with Brer Rabbit, I'd go for it!

That being said, lightning could ruin the plan, but if you stay in the park it's almost certain the lightning would stop and you could ride what you wanted with less crowds. I've ridden many a turn at BTMRR or other outdoors rides that were rainy. You'll be able to get FP+ for Splash day-of, I'm sure!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #21
JennaDeeDooDah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
IMHO, I'd do MK.

Here's why: what a great surprise for your daughter! She's not expecting it at all, knows not to ask for it, and you're going to be right there, so only you know how excited she would be if you decided to take a quick tour on the monorail, and then get off at MK and go ride the rides she can't stop talking about! It's like a miniature surprise trip, and I'd bet it would be a trip she wouldn't stop talking about for a long, long time - "Remember when we rode Splash Mountain for the first time?" "Remember when you surprised me?" "Remember when we went to MK and I didn't even KNOW?"

Now, if she's not the type to like surprises, YMMV. But if she'd be psyched to suddenly be hanging out with Brer Rabbit, I'd go for it!

That being said, lightning could ruin the plan, but if you stay in the park it's almost certain the lightning would stop and you could ride what you wanted with less crowds. I've ridden many a turn at BTMRR or other outdoors rides that were rainy. You'll be able to get FP+ for Splash day-of, I'm sure!
That's a nice idea. I smiled reading your first paragraph. I agree with you about the lightening, as well. It won't last all day, no doubt. But, if it is going to go on for an hour, I'd rather spend that hour at MK riding rides that aren't shut down than hanging out at TL not doing anything.

I'm loving the responses saying that we should be able to get a Splash FP+ day-of. That was my concern. We can hurry and do Splash or 7DMT first thing, but not both. Knowing I can get a pass for one makes me feel better.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

Old 07-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #22
Nan P
Pixie Dust Every Day

I personally would squeeze in a day for MK, rain or shine. That child was just waiting to grow those few inches and is sooo into Splash Mountain that I could't be in WDW and not take her to MK. Since you will be going back to WDW January (or April) you may want to check out the no expiration multi day. One day for now, the rest for later vacations and should be a good value.

Ft. Wilderness Campground: 38 Visits of one week or more from 1989 to 2014....
Two convention stays at Coronado Springs and Two Off-Site camping.

RV Camping since 1988. We now camp in our 2011 Monaco Knight.
Nan P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #23
ruthies12
Mouseketeer

I agree with op about checking out the non-expire ticket costs since you know you will be going back, may work out to make the mk day not too bad of a price.
ruthies12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #24
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
That's a nice idea. I smiled reading your first paragraph. I agree with you about the lightening, as well. It won't last all day, no doubt. But, if it is going to go on for an hour, I'd rather spend that hour at MK riding rides that aren't shut down than hanging out at TL not doing anything.

I'm loving the responses saying that we should be able to get a Splash FP+ day-of. That was my concern. We can hurry and do Splash or 7DMT first thing, but not both. Knowing I can get a pass for one makes me feel better.
If you just bite the bullet and buy the MK tickets NOW, you can get FP+ earlier..... Just sayin'!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #25
PlainJane
It was wonderful both times
I only throw pillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I'm worried about the lightening. I have no issue with rain, either, and I enjoy swimming in the rain so I can definitely see what you are saying about Typhoon Lagoon being fun in the rain. I just don't want to waste money on a ticket for there to then be a thunderstorm that closes the rides, you know? At least at Magic Kingdom there would be some rides we could still do. Although, ironically, the same weather that would make us choose MK over Typhoon Lagoon - lightening - would likely shut down the two rides that are making us consider Magic Kingdom. We love the idea of Typhoon Lagoon as neither my husband no I have been there before. But, if there is lightening that ends up closing stuff for an hour or two, I think we would regret not having spent that money on a MK ticket where we could have gone on rides. We are kind of crazy in that we enjoy Magic Kingdom on rainy days, so we aren't concerned about that aspect of it.
Yeah, the lighting normally passes quickly, half hour or so, but there's no way to know that ahead of time. I can understand the dilemma. You're right, during a thunderstorm, there are still things to do at the MK, unlike TL.

I also wanted to add, I have been on multiple Disney World trips where we did not step foot in a main theme park or we only did so for one day. Sometimes we'd go once because we had one day left on a non-expiring ticket (when all tickets where non-expiring), had admission to a party, or went for one of those extended hour nights they used to have (can't recall what they're called).

Disney has a lot to offer outside of their 4 main theme parks. I think it will also be easier knowing you're coming back, and not that long from now.

I hope you enjoy your day no matter the weather or which park you pick!
PlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #26
Amirah95
I'm ALLLLLLMOST there!

The first line of your post knocked me out of my chair when I read the words "park free".

Proud Disboards.com Member! Park Commando & Roadtripping Family! Mom of 2 Girls! I my Grandboy!
Maleficent/Dr. Facilier/Oogie Boogie/Scar/Yzma Villains Pin Collector & Trader *WDW Planning Nut*
Packing for Kids Roadtrip Menu Stroller Debate Rider Switch Primer NJ Roadtrippers 2,000+ Mile Roadtrippers - II-III-IV
Amirah95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #27
Travelgrrl
Disneybounder

I'm not understanding the worry about rain - does your MK surprise day have to be on a particular day? You're going for several days, why not pick the sunniest to surprise her with MK and save a rainier day for touring resorts, etc.

I think you should do it (though the frugalist in me would want to maximize my ticket value by buying a multiple day ticket)!
Travelgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #28
mom to minnie&mickey
DIS Veteran

Last year we did an 11 night trip at Music with only 3 parks with a left over non-expiry ticket. We had a blast visiting other resorts, Ft. Wilderness, dtd etc. If you buy a 1 day ticket to a park consider adding on the waterpark feature. I believe that you would get 2 entries (perhaps someone can verify this) for a small additional cost.
mom to minnie&mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #29
amym2
DIS Veteran

I was one of those who used to say, "Why go to Disney if you're not doing the theme parks?"... and then we actually did it and loved it. We did do Legoland and TL but also had plenty of time to explore other activities at WDW. I was afraid the kids would be disappointed, but they agreed it was one of our best vacations ever. I would stick with your original plans. Is there a reason you have to do TL that certain day? Maybe you could change your ADRs around to make a different day work? I agree that 70% chance of rain doesn't necessarily mean all day rain. Unless they are predicting severe storms or a hurricane, I'd stick with TL.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #30
JennaDeeDooDah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelgrrl View Post
I'm not understanding the worry about rain - does your MK surprise day have to be on a particular day? You're going for several days, why not pick the sunniest to surprise her with MK and save a rainier day for touring resorts, etc.

I think you should do it (though the frugalist in me would want to maximize my ticket value by buying a multiple day ticket)!
The only reason we are considering Magic Kingdom is if there is thunder and lightening on our Typhoon Lagoon day. Rain doesn't bother us and lightening won't affect any of the other activities we have planned. We intend for this to be a parks-free vacation, but if lightening happens to occur on our Typhoon Lagoon day, we are considering going to Magic Kingdom instead, since, even though some rides will be closed due to weather, many others will still be in operation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: