Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
nydisneygirl1975
Earning My Ears

Height Requirment for SM

We are going to MK in a month. Our daughter is 39 1/2 inches without shoes. How strict are they with the height requirement?
nydisneygirl1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
wallskm
Mouseketeer

Strict. But unless you put her in some crazy shoes I doubt they'd make her take them off for measurement.
wallskm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

The height restrictions are mostly in place for the restraints in each attraction. If you aren't tall enough, theoretically, the restraint won't work right. BUT...there are some people that have short legs and very long torsos.....so the restraint would work fine. But someone with very long legs and a short torso might find the restraints to be loose.
So, they went with an average..which works pretty well.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

They are very strict. They measure twice, sometimes three times. (Trust me, I have a peanut) Plus, are you talking about Splash Mountain or Space Mountain...because the height requirement for Space Mountain is 44" and I don't know of any shoes that will shorten that discrepancy.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
nydisneygirl1975
Earning My Ears

Sorry splash mountain. We measured her again against a door and she's over 40"
nydisneygirl1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
Dawn Dis
Mouseketeer

Speaking of height requirements here's a question. My 4 yr old is 39 7/8 inches tall bare feet. With shoes she's just over 40 inches. We were at a local amusement park and she didn't make the 40 inch requirement ( bogus) Anyone know how Disney world runs? Are they pretty precise or will she have a problem getting on 40 inch rides. By sept. She might be there without shoes, but i m worried they are as accurate as Knoebels.
Thanks for your response
Old 07-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Our experience has been that they are accurate...so more generous than other parks we have been to (Kings Island). It is pretty consistent too...for our last trip, we didn't think our 3yo had a shot at 40 (wasn't at our local amusement park or at home), but was close, so with the right shoes he was tall enough and was always allowed to ride (pleasant surprise for us). Once the CM even helped with his posture...suggesting that he raise his arms up above his head (feet were still on the ground). I suggested the same at Kings Island, and we were told we had to keep our arms down.

The CM won't bend the rules (look the other way), but will do everything they can to see that a kid has a chance to ride safely.

I wouldn't sweat it, but I would pack tennis shoes vs. flip flops.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Dawn Dis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds
Our experience has been that they are accurate...so more generous than other parks we have been to (Kings Island). It is pretty consistent too...for our last trip, we didn't think our 3yo had a shot at 40 (wasn't at our local amusement park or at home), but was close, so with the right shoes he was tall enough and was always allowed to ride (pleasant surprise for us). Once the CM even helped with his posture...suggesting that he raise his arms up above his head (feet were still on the ground). I suggested the same at Kings Island, and we were told we had to keep our arms down.

The CM won't bend the rules (look the other way), but will do everything they can to see that a kid has a chance to ride safely.

I wouldn't sweat it, but I would pack tennis shoes vs. flip flops.
Thanks so much for your response. Just would be devastating if she couldn't get on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: