Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #256
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
Someone needs to pretend we've got a clue
Chocolate is a girls heaven

It looks like I'm a little late to this party but it's only day 4 so there's more to come. I've just read your entire report. I love that you're cruising with your mom. So special! I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your cruise.

Grumpy's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #257
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Oh my gosh for reals! That's why I haven't booked yet, they are pretty high right now. I've never seen them that high before ever from LAX to MCO. I'm hoping they will go down too.
Probably because lots of people take off around New Years. I looked and the flight going down is good but coming back is outrageous!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #258
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
It's very cool! We're you scared! I mean he looks tame but still, he's got horns!
Not at all, I'm a huge animal lover. And he was very tame. I just wanted to pet him but mom and Pablo insisted I get on.

Quote:
True. I think I'd rather not see.....maybe.....gives me the creeps. I hate creepy crawlers.
I wouldn't be able to sleep!

Quote:

Michael and the girls will want to for sure.
I seem to always get the same things but there's so many options.

Quote:

It looks like just a wonderful day.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14
Old 07-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #259
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
It looks like I'm a little late to this party but it's only day 4 so there's more to come. I've just read your entire report. I love that you're cruising with your mom. So special! I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your cruise.

Welcome! And thanks for reading!!! you're right, plenty left, this was an 11 day trip. I was blessed with a wonderful mother, I'm glad we're able to spend quality vacation time together

Old 07-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #260
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Beautiful pics of Cozumel!!! The water is absolutely gorgeous! And the ruins look quite interesting. I'm wondering if this is an excursion I should look into Not sure if my DD8 and DS7 would be interested though. Guess I should get researching

Looking forward to more!
Heather

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
hstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #261
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Beautiful pics of Cozumel!!! The water is absolutely gorgeous! And the ruins look quite interesting. I'm wondering if this is an excursion I should look into Not sure if my DD8 and DS7 would be interested though. Guess I should get researching

Looking forward to more!
Heather
We saw one of the DCL excursions while we were with our horrible guide. We longed to be over with them!

The DCL one also goes to a beach but only for 90 minutes, I think. Next year we're going to take a taxi to a place called Chankanaab. Beautiful place, beach, snorkeling, optional animal interactions. Those you need to book in advance. I don't know if Faith or Jesse would get bored at the ruins.

You're right, the water is gorgeous! One reason why next year needs to center around the water.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #262
Pinkocto

Back to Cozumel:

After my photo session with the bull we continued our tour. One of my wishes for the day was to find some black coral jewelry. Black coral is a protected substance and only authorized people are supposed to sell it. You know unauthorized people do, but Pablo happened to have a friend that was an authorized dealer and that was our next stop.

\

There was some kind of celebration here a couple weeks ago and they still hadn’t taken down all of the decorations.

A church

Some more ruins

We didn’t linger, we still had a few things we wanted to do and it was 1:15. The ship was due to leave at 3:45 and I wanted to be back onboard at 3:00.

The guy’s black coral shop was very impressive. He finds the coral and does all the workmanship. I didn’t feel comfortable taking any pictures of the shop but there were tons to choose from. I left with these beauties.

Then it was time to find the amazing Gloria candies. I knew they were at a certain shop and asked Pablo to take us there. There had to be some kind of miscommunication because instead of going straight to the shop I requested he stopped at a small convenience mart. They had them but only as singles, not in a gift container. Mom wanted them for a friend back home so we continued our search. We went to a big grocery store next, no luck. They suggested a candy store that Pablo knew about so we went there. No luck. Again I suggested that we go to Los Cincos Soles, I knew they were there. Instead of going there he said he wanted to stop at another convenient mart. They were there but only as singles again. We got them. Because of this wild goose chase we didn’t have time to go shopping at Los Cincos Soles which I was disappointed about. I knew mom would love that store.

At 2:45 we headed toward the port. But instead of going left to the ship Pablo took us right and showed us a little more of the area.

These pictures are all from the car, sorry there’s some obstructions in them.

And then we headed back to the ship

He got us back to the port at exactly 3:00 as requested. We hugged, thanked him for a fabulous day, and gave him a generous tip. I think this was a wonderful way for mom to see Cozumel on her first visit. Next time our plan is to go to Chankanaab, do a manatee swim, enjoy the beach/water, and take a taxi to Los Cincos Soles.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #263
Pinkocto

Amazingly I didn’t take any pictures on the walk back up the pier. I was ready to be back on my ship. Mom kept looking longingly at the water and I regret that we didn’t get a chance to do some swimming. She was so close the edge I warned her that I wouldn’t jump in after her if she fell off, there’s no railings. She said not to worry, the gentleman in front of us would jump in and rescue her. He turned around with a smile and said if mom fell over he’d jump right in behind her. Big smiles all around.

Straight up to Flo’s to get some lunch, we were starving. I had the salad and pizza and mom had the veggie burger.

Then into the Cove Café for some treats

We both got the chocolate chip brownie bite. These were to die for!

We took our treats up to Satellite Falls. It was 4:00 and I figured we’d be leaving momentarily. But what would we see below, but a family just strolling down the pier. All aboard was 3:45 people! They would saunter for a while and then run for a little bit. Then continue sauntering. It was bizarre.

And then we saw an ambulance driving down the pier. At dinner we found out that they took someone out on a gurney and all their luggage was with them. It was only day 2 of the cruise, so sad

Around that point I decided a shower was in order. Mom came down to the room with me and we looked at the navigator. We wanted to see the hypnosis show at 6:15. It was only 4:15 so mom went up to SF while I got cleaned up.

Sam our fabulous room steward left us presents

After getting all cleaned up I went in search of mom. Have you seen enough hallway and carpet pictures yet? Sorry.

It was way too windy for me to stay up there with mom, but she was happy where she was so I went back down to the room and did some journaling. Our room’s position this trip was absolutely perfect, we were forward so it was just a quick elevator ride up to SF and back down to the room.

to be continued...

Last edited by Pinkocto; 07-14-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #264
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Loving the update :-) oh my that black coral jewellery is beautiful Pam! The way they have fashioned that wonderful coral is just amazing. I bet you were proud as punch to own that.

Shame about your candies! I am sure the guides get kick backs from certain stores. They seem to favour some.

Be great to do Chankanaab next time with Mom. Got to love that H20 gear!

Oh my that poor family having the person removed! That must have been quite a shock.

I am obsessed by carpet. I love looking at it. I try and look for the nautical flags in the carpet of the stateroom hallways that spell out the name of the ship on The Dream ( I read it's the same on The Fantasy )
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #265
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

The jewelry is beautiful. I haven't seen back coral.

I'm never sick of ship and carpet and hallway pics.

Pizza. Seriously what is with the pizza? It's simply amazing!

I'm going to have to try the Cove Cafe next cruise. I don't think I hardly stepped foot inside last time.

So sad for the people who were gurneyed off. Did you find out why? That would be such a huge bummer. Hope they ended up ok.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #266
MEK
DIS Veteran

That black coral jewelry looks so pretty. So glad you were able to find what you were looking for!

And the scenery pictures are lovely. I am still so impressed you had your own personal guide!

Oh No to the poor person who had to leave on the ambulance. I bet that happens all the time. I watched a documentary done by a ship's doctor and they get some pretty interesting cases on board. And there are people who travel who just shouldn't.

Nice lunch!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:25 AM   #267
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

That was some wonderful jewelry that you got! I'm glad he knew someone licensed in the trade. Too bad he didn't listen to you on the candies. Sorry you didn't get what you wanted. But it sounds like you got a really nice local tour and not just the "Disney inspired" island tour. How fun is that.

So sad for the person who had to be ambulanced out of the ship. That's terrible. Or were you experienced from that on your previous cruise. We don't know.
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #268
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Ok...weird. People are crazy to just meander along like they have all the time in the world. Didn't they realize they were the ONLY ones on the dock

Sad about the ambulance. Hope all was ok for that person.

And your jewelry is really pretty! I'll have to remember that for next year, and see if I can find some. I've never heard of it. Thanks for the info

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
hstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #269
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Loving the update :-) oh my that black coral jewellery is beautiful Pam! The way they have fashioned that wonderful coral is just amazing. I bet you were proud as punch to own that.
I had bought a necklace on my first visit to Cozumel but I wanted some more. I think it's absolutely gorgeous.

Quote:
Shame about your candies! I am sure the guides get kick backs from certain stores. They seem to favour some.
Well, he isn't an official guide, he's actually a scuba dive master, usually takes people out diving. He was basically just hanging out with us and showing us around. I'm sure he felt that the candies were easily found.

Quote:
Be great to do Chankanaab next time with Mom. Got to love that H20 gear!
Our room steward was great with the H2O goodies!

Quote:
Oh my that poor family having the person removed! That must have been quite a shock.
Very sad business, never really learned what happened but it was on a kayaking excursion.

Quote:
I am obsessed by carpet. I love looking at it. I try and look for the nautical flags in the carpet of the stateroom hallways that spell out the name of the ship on The Dream ( I read it's the same on The Fantasy )
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I can't get enough of those carpets I completely forgot about the flags spelling out the name. I'll have to remember that next time.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #270
Pinkocto

Quote:
The jewelry is beautiful. I haven't seen back coral.
I had thought it only grew in the Caribbean but it actually grows all over the world and is the official 'gemstone' of Hawaii. They have to polish it to be smooth, and with the bigger pieces can make figurines. Very pretty things, I always wish I have more money in shops like that.

Quote:
I'm never sick of ship and carpet and hallway pics.
Excellent! I'm sure I took more pictures

Quote:
Pizza. Seriously what is with the pizza? It's simply amazing!
There is just something about that pizza!

Quote:
I'm going to have to try the Cove Cafe next cruise. I don't think I hardly stepped foot inside last time.
You'll be able to get some tasty coffee in there, and the desserts in the case are free. I think they changed the coffee at the beverage stations to Joffreys, I don't know if that's better though.

Quote:
So sad for the people who were gurneyed off. Did you find out why? That would be such a huge bummer. Hope they ended up ok.
All we found out was that the person was somehow injured on a kayak excursion. No idea what kind of injury.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: