Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
DisWrlHoneymoon2014
Earning My Ears

Smile Help?!?!?! Disney Honeymoon Questions...

My fiance and I will be going on our honeymoon in December of this year. We were originally at Port Orleans Riverside but because that hotel is excluded from free dining we switched to Caribbean... However, we are still debating if we made the right decision...

What do you suggest....
1. Port Orleans Riverside and pay for dining?
2. Or Caribbean and receive free dining?

Also, if we stay at Caribbean can someone please explain that transportation situation to me, PLEASE???!!!
DisWrlHoneymoon2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
partypa
Mouseketeer

Is Coronado Springs available for your dates with the Free Dining Offer ? It is more "Honeymoon-ish" and has a lovely Deluxe Feel, IMHO of course
partypa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisWrlHoneymoon2014 View Post
My fiance and I will be going on our honeymoon in December of this year. We were originally at Port Orleans Riverside but because that hotel is excluded from free dining we switched to Caribbean... However, we are still debating if we made the right decision...

What do you suggest....
1. Port Orleans Riverside and pay for dining?
2. Or Caribbean and receive free dining?

Also, if we stay at Caribbean can someone please explain that transportation situation to me, PLEASE???!!!
Caribbean Beach is a no-go for us as they have double beds. If there were king size bed rooms, then I would stay there.

If the bed size issue is not a big deal, then I would see which is a better value for you. Compare prices for a room only discount at POR or the free dining package at CB.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
BelleKer
Mouseketeer

POR! Take a horse and carriage ride, definitely romantic. I love POR for being able to walk around the resort late at night, and depending on your definition of romance: yee haw bob at River Roost Lounge. DH and I love laughing, so we ordered some drinks and appetizers before the show, so that we were able to reserve our seat.

Best Wishes!

June 2013 POR, Sept 2013 POR, Oct 2013 CBR, Nov 2014 POR, Dec 2013 POFQ, Jan 2014 CBR, Feb 2014 BWI, March 2014 POFQ, April 2014 POR x 2, May 2014 WL, June 2014 POR, July 2014 YC, Aug 2014 POR, Sept 2014 CR, Oct 2014 CSR, Nov 2014 GF, Feb 2015 POR
BelleKer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
dansdad
DIS Veteran

We would chose CBR even without Free Dining. The relaxed, laid back tropical feel is such a nice break from the craziness of the parks. Every village has its own bus stop and quiet pool so you are never far from either. We prefer the food court and pool at CBR too.

Caribbean Cay has some great secluded benches and swings that overlook the lake and are great for some peaceful alone time.

One of the things my wife and I love to do at CBR is grab a drink and a hammock and watch the higher fireworks from Illuminations. A great way to end our day.

You can't go wrong with either, but CBR is our favorite by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisWrlHoneymoon2014 View Post
Like I stated above, every village has its own bus stop. All the buses for the 4 major parks, Downtown Disney and the 2 water parks stop at all the village stops. Plus there is a stop at Old Port Royale which is where the food court is.

Last edited by dansdad; 07-09-2014 at 08:17 PM.
dansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
StitchBuddy
DIS Veteran

I would take the free dining!! The food is half the fun! You can eat at some awesome places!! Plus, I Love CB!
StitchBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Donald - my hero
Aww yes. The dreaded "mouse hand"
Rescues lime green Mickey head paint chips from Home Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidijanesmith View Post
Caribbean Beach is a no-go for us as they have double beds. If there were king size bed rooms, then I would stay there.

If the bed size issue is not a big deal, then I would see which is a better value for you. Compare prices for a room only discount at POR or the free dining package at CB.

They do have BOOKABLE King bed rooms at CBR (I know as this is a deal breaker for us on holiday!) Are they just sold out for the time period you're looking at? If so, are you aware that at the moment they are in the process of updating the entire resort and switching from doubles to queens?

Once i found i could get the king bed and Free Dining it was a no-brainer for us. Join in on the CBR resort thread and check out the pics, hopefully you will see what we are now excited about.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post52016805
Donald - my hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Scott MC
DIS Veteran

If paying for meals is ok with you, I'd go POR all the way.
It's beautiful, romantic, and you really feel transported there. I don't get that vibe at either CBR or CSR.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
Austriankrystl
Mouseketeer

Congratulations!

We are honeymooning this December, as well. Originally, we were staying in Coronado Springs, but the rooms with free dining were no longer available, so we have switched to Caribbean Beach.

At first I was "disappointed" because I had read "negatives". At that point, we were going to upgrade to a King room and "hope for the best". Then I looked at pictures and read they were "updating" or "renovating" the rooms to be more "up-class" and with queen beds. In fact, we have decided not to go with the king and to request a view of the bay/beach if possible instead.

For us the free dining is a BIG help in affording other "luxuries". We are going to better restaurants than we would have without it and are making real "date nights" out of it! In addition, we have more pocket money to pay for any extras and not paying out of pocket is going to relieve a lot of the "spending stress".

And we can still pop over to Port Orleans for a horse-drawn carriage ride if we want.
Austriankrystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

OP, I really think that you need to do the dreaded Disney Math to decide whether free dining or a room only discount would save you more money. We would never purchase the DDP - we have found that for us (2 adults) we can actually pay less for food if we pay OOP. And this is doing a CS and a TS every day, ordering whatever we want, indulging in adult beverages, and even doing signature dinners. So we always go for the room discount now.

I love CBR. The current refurb (they're going building by building) with the upgrade to queen beds is just icing on the cake for us. Since it's your honeymoon, I'd recommend that you book a king room and then request the building you might like. But decide whether free dining or a room discount works best for you.

Nothing wrong with POR if you decide to opt for it. But you might want to consider booking a preferred room to be closer to the main buildings (unless you have your heart set on a Royal Room).
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
bochnikm
Disney Birder

We honeymooned in Port Orleans’s Resort – Riverside in 2007 and stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort in 2011. You will be happy either way. The meals during our honeymoon were very memorable. Buy Bride and Groom Mickey Ears and wear them! Or at least the free Just Married buttons for some extra pixie dust.

Bus set up is similar; there are 4-5 bus stops in each resort. Generally, if you are the first stop heading to the park you will be the last stop when heading back, and vice versa. Plan an extra 5-10 minutes for that.
and Caribbean Beach Resort March 2011

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: