Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #16
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I just think that it gives a very false impression when these hotels are saying they are 'official Disney resorts'. That leads guests to believe they are going to get all sorts of Disney perks...and they are going to be sadly disappointed when they get there. If only everyone did their homework when booking a vacation to WDW.
Really. Luckily the OP knew to ask here. How many wouldn't know to do that. Major disappointment for people at those hotels thinking they have extra perks.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #17
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would take exception with those resorts being on Disney property. Yes, they are in the DTD area, but they truly aren't 'on property'. The Swan/Dolphin are on Disney property....hence the limited perks they get. But, those resorts in DTD get no addtl perks, other than the Hilton(I believe that's the one) that gets EMHs. And that may be because they possibly have a payment deal with Disney....otherwise, all those resorts would be looking for that perk. There are other resorts, in the area, that are very close to parks. Not sure if they are considered 'official' or not. Would tend to doubt it.
They are within the limits of WDW so they are actually on property. In fact just outside DTD is a pretty fab location especially for dining at resorts at night as you can get a Disney bus to and from any Disney resort from DTD
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #18
merina888
Mouseketeer

There are some parcels of land that appear to be part of WDW property that are not actually owned by Disney. When Walt went about buying the property that became WDW, he did it secretively because he knew the price of land would skyrocket if people knew the purchaser. Disney had optioned most of its land but there are a few outliers that Disney could not acquire before the land deal went public. Then it just became too expensive. They are relatively small plots of land in the scheme of things. Bonnet Creek is one example. I think that's where the confusion lies with those "off-site" hotel properties. They are technically within the gates of Disney World but the land is not owned by Disney.
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #19
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merina888 View Post
There are some parcels of land that appear to be part of WDW property that are not actually owned by Disney. When Walt went about buying the property that became WDW, he did it secretively because he knew the price of land would skyrocket if people knew the purchaser. Disney had optioned most of its land but there are a few outliers that Disney could not acquire before the land deal went public. Then it just became too expensive. They are relatively small plots of land in the scheme of things. Bonnet Creek is one example. I think that's where the confusion lies with those "off-site" hotel properties. They are technically within the gates of Disney World but the land is not owned by Disney.
There are those properties and yes they do confuse some. I haven't read their website/advertising so I don't know how they refer to themselves.

I believe the ones that state "official Walt Disney Hotel" are intentionally misleading. They count on folks NOT researching like the OP did and folks booking just assuming they are staying at a Disney hotel. I am very surprised Disney allows the wording on the websites that intentionally misleads the customer. They are usually very careful with their name

The more accurate phrase would be "official Walt Disney Partner Hotel" to assist in distinguishing themselves from Disney Owned Properties.

And I do know the consumer is ultimately responsible for doing thorough research but companies should not be allowed to intentionally confuse.
AngiTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #20
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
I would take exception with those resorts being on Disney property. Yes, they are in the DTD area, but they truly aren't 'on property'. The Swan/Dolphin are on Disney property....hence the limited perks they get. But, those resorts in DTD get no addtl perks, other than the Hilton(I believe that's the one) that gets EMHs. And that may be because they possibly have a payment deal with Disney....otherwise, all those resorts would be looking for that perk.
There are other resorts, in the area, that are very close to parks. Not sure if they are considered 'official' or not. Would tend to doubt it.
The hotels in Downtown Disney are completely on Disney property with long term land leases from Disney, which is the same as the Swan and Dolphin. It's just that they are at the outer edges of the property but they are on property. I don't believe there is anything about the DTD hotels that is confusing as they all state their actual hotel chain names. The Swan and Dolphin may be confusing because we tend to not use their hotel chain name.

It's really very easy to figure it out - if you are booking your resort via the Disney World website, it is Disney. If you are booking any other way, and not sure - check the Disney World website and if it's not on the list you will know that it is not a Disney owned hotel.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 7x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 14x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: