Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Glymere
Earning My Ears

Payment plan available?

Hey, I'm new to the board. My wife and I have been married for 5 years in December and I really wanted to take her to Disney World in May for as a late anniversary/summer vacation combo. I'm looking at staying in the Art of Animation resort in the Little Mermaid Wing as that is her favorite Disney movie.

My question is this, does Disney offer any type of payment plan? I don't have 3,000 dollars to just plop down right now to pay for everything up front, but I also realize once I can start booking things, I need to, to make sure we get what we want.

I work for Chase Credit Card Service and have recently applied for the Disney Credit Card as I know there are some good benefits on it. If worst comes to worst I can just throw it on the credit card and pay it off, but I generally like to pay for these things in cash.

Thanks
Glymere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
dis_guy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glymere View Post
Hey, I'm new to the board. My wife and I have been married for 5 years in December and I really wanted to take her to Disney World in May for as a late anniversary/summer vacation combo. I'm looking at staying in the Art of Animation resort in the Little Mermaid Wing as that is her favorite Disney movie.

My question is this, does Disney offer any type of payment plan? I don't have 3,000 dollars to just plop down right now to pay for everything up front, but I also realize once I can start booking things, I need to, to make sure we get what we want.

I work for Chase Credit Card Service and have recently applied for the Disney Credit Card as I know there are some good benefits on it. If worst comes to worst I can just throw it on the credit card and pay it off, but I generally like to pay for these things in cash.

Thanks
When you book a package you only need to put $200 down as a deposit. The balance is due 45 days before your arrival. This is why I like to book a year or more out out because it gives me lots of time to do monthly payments so it's paid off in plenty of time. I find it's very stress free to do this. Oh, and disney charges no interest or fees for this either.
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Airship Ariadne
Mouseketeer

All you need to plop down right away is the $200 deposit...the rest you can pay off up to the 45 days...so if you can book a year out, that gives you 10 and a half months to pay it off at your own pace. And if there are any special offers after you put down your deposit, you can call them up and see if they can apply them, just be sure to call as soon as possible since many offers have a limited number of rooms that it can be applied to per resort.
Airship Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glymere View Post

Thanks
Welcome to the Dis

Yes, you can make payments on a package or room only reservation.

For room only, the required deposit is equal to 1 night's room rate + tax, with the balance due at check in. You can, however, make payments and pay if off at any time prior to arrival, but the balance isn't due until you check in. You can cancel up to 5 days prior to arrival without a penalty.

For a package, the required deposit is $200, with the balance due 45 days prior to arrival. You can cancel and make any changes 45 days or more from arrival without and fees. Any changes made 44 days or less from arrival are subject to a $50 change fee (this change is usually waived if the changed causes the total cost to increase). A $200 fee is charged for any cancellations after the 45 day mark (and I think the total cost is forfeited if the package is cancelled 1 day prior to arrival).

If you use your Disney Visa to make the deposit and/or pay for a package, you will get 6 months, 0% interest. This is only good for packages and does not apply to room only reservations.

If any room discounts come out that cover your dates, you can call and have the discount applied to your existing reservation, provided the resort/room type you have booked is available under the discount. Sometimes you have to be flexible with your resort and/or room type when taking advantage of a discount as having a reservation already in place does not guarantee a discount can be applied. If you have a package, the discount would apply to the room portion only.

HTH

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

I would do a room only reservation and then save your money as you normally would (or, in a different account if you need the discipline). To be able to schedule FP+, you'll need to have park admission, so you'll need to purchase that as soon as you have money available to make the purchase. I always purchase from Undercover Tourist through the Mousesavers.com link. (Sign up for the Mousesavers monthly newsletter and you'll receive a newsletter on the 15th of each month. There will be a special link to UCT with pricing just for Mousesavers readers. It's not a huge discount, but it's better than paying full price.) You can make dining reservations in advance. You'll have to provide a credit card to guarantee your reservation (there is a $10/person penalty for a no show), but it isn't an upfront cost. If you set money aside for yourself, it's as good as doing a payment plan. Then you can put your costs on a credit card and pay it off when you return home.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

It is like having a Disney vacation on layaway I do it all the time to help pay for my trips. Beats putting the full amount on a credit card and getting charged interest.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

As other posters said, $200 deposit with balance due 45 days before the trip for a room/ticket package. It is also nice to keep in mind that if you use the Disney visa, you get 6 months from the date you make the payment.

For example, I am going in Oct. I put the $200 deposit down in February, and with the 6 months 0% interest I am paying that off this month.

In August, I will call to make my final payment of the balance at the 45 day mark. That total will not be due to Disney visa until February 2015
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you want a package you will put down $200. Then you can pay in any amount you want at any time you want, as you go, but you must pay off the entire package no later than 45 days before arrival.

If you don't want a package and you want room only (purchasing tickets separately and no dining plan), you would put down a deposit equal to the first night's stay and then pay in any amount you want at any time you want up to arrival; if you wish, you can pay off the balance at arrival. If you cancel less than 6 days from arrival you forfeit the deposit.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
pbruce706
Earning My Ears

As others have said, the package is a $200 deposit, balance due at 45 days. I booked our trip 11 months out, held off paying anything more for three or so months, then started making monthly payments. Trip was paid in full last month, which is a great feeling.

Either case, room only or package, I find it easier to book it and make the payments to them as the months go by. I'm one of those who would have a harder time "chipmonking" the money away into an account. Plus I always liked seeing the balance going down and seeing the reality of the trip coming together.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Don't know if the OP is interested but I opened a disney savings accounts. I have a little bit of money put right in to the account automatically each week. You can use this money for a down payment or to pay on your vacation. You can also use the money to purchase disney gift cards.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
MagentaMulan
Mouseketeer

How the does the payment plan work after you put down the deposit? Do you go back to your disney account when you want to pay and in put a cc number and enter an amount? Can you use Paypal?
MagentaMulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #12
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

I always use my Disney Visa because of the 6 months no interest and the points I get to use while there. I charge as much as I know I can pay in 6 months, pay it off and charge some more until the package balance is due. I also charge all my utilities to get the points as well. I usually have enough points to pay for snacks and souvenirs while at WDW.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #13
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagentaMulan View Post
How the does the payment plan work after you put down the deposit? Do you go back to your disney account when you want to pay and in put a cc number and enter an amount? Can you use Paypal?
You should be able to pay online. I don't think you can use paypal.

Another often overlooked option is this

https://disneyvacationaccount.disney.go.com/

It is the Disney Vacation Account. It is a Disney savings account of sorts where you can put in money and a budget you want for your trip. When you can pay you book the trip with the money you have in your account.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #14
dimndgal1
One little spark...

We are military so I always book any Disney trip as room only since plans can change at the drop of a hat and those are the easiest trips to cancel. Since room-only is the price of one night, we figure out how much the trip is and start saving, putting it into a Savings Account we have set up for vacations. From there, we decide if we want dining plan or not, factor in ticket cost, and 'misc' costs. We save up and throw any extra we can - DH travels a lot and gets per diem so some of that goes in there.

When we draw close to the trip (within a month or so), we decide if we're adding Dining Plan/tickets and call to make it a package, charging the whole thing to my Disney Visa. Since FP+, we have moved it to the 75 day point (so we can get it all squared away before FP window opens. Then, after the charge shows up on the card, we put however much we have saved on the card and have 6 months to pay off the rest. That way we get the Disney dollars from putting it on the card, have most of the trip paid in advance, and have the 6 months no interest for the remaining balance.

The reason we do all this is so that the money we have isn't tied up -- it's still tangible to us. Our last trip was a big one (7 people, 2 rooms) and we had been saving for over a year. Halfway through, we needed 'liquid' cash for an emergency, so we used what was saved in the account. We were able to put back what we needed down the road but it was such a relief to have the cash at our disposal. We ended up waiting until 10 days before the trip to make it a package but it worked out well for us and we had all but $500 paid off by the time of the trip.
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-6) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

What I have done is book room only and made payments towards that each months leading up to the trip making sure I have paid off the room before travel. Then, right before the trip I have converted the room only into a package using my Disney Visa and then get 6 months to pay off the tickets/ dining.

I haven't done this since FP+ as my travel style has changed and I haven't wanted a package my last couple of trips.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: