Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Did you get seasick, and if so how did you remdy it?
No seasickness/never get sick 29 39.73%
Felt ill, but did not treat it 2 2.74%
Never felt ill but took preventative measures (please share in comments!) 16 21.92%
Used a remedy that worked (please share in comments!) 24 32.88%
Used a remedy that didn't work (please share in comments!) 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #46
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel
Bonine, I voted it worked but I started taking it the night before the cruise. I'm sure I would have been sick without it. Can't ride in the back of a van, read while in a car, etc.

I have used it twice (two cruises) and will do so from now on. Some have reported feeling more tired but I never noticed anything. I always took it at night, and I didn't think I slept longer or anything. No side effects for me either.
Is nausea when reading in the car a good indicator of potential seasickness?

Last edited by slzer0; 07-09-2014 at 06:21 PM.
slzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #47
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Has anyone tried Zofran? Its an rx nausea med.
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #48
storknurse13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slzer0 View Post
Has anyone tried Zofran? Its an rx nausea med.
Zofran will help with the nausea but it does NOT help with sea sickness. Sea sickness has to do with your equilibrium and your response to motion which Zofran does not correct? Take Bonine and if you still feel queasy take Rx Zofran if you have some!
DCL Fantasy April 2013~Concierge, DCL Magic January 2012~Concierge, WDW April 2011~DS 3 weeks old/DD 4th Bday, WDW Dec 2009~DS 1st Bday, RCI Jewel Of The Seas 30~Oct 2010/ 13 Night Special Caribbean Cruise, RCI Mariner Of The Seas Mariner Of The Seas~May 2008/ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, RCI Freedom Of The Seas~Oct-2006/ 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Jewel Of The Seas~Oct-2004/ 10 Night Canada/New England Cruise, RCI Enchantment Of The Seas~May-2004/ 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Navigator Of The Seas~Oct-2003/ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, RCI Explorer Of The Seas~Oct-2002/ 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, CCL Triumph~October 2000/ 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Sovereign Of The Seas~Oct-1997/ 4 Night Bahamas Cruise, WDW-New Year's Eve 1985, WDW-Family Reunion Vacation 1982

storknurse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #49
caribear
I love WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyC_fan View Post
We use meclizine which is the active ingredient in Bonine. We save mega bucks by buying it at the Target pharmacy. Ask for "Travel Sickness Pills". It comes in a bottle of 100 for I believe 5.00. Bonine is so expensive just because it is brand name. We take it the night before we cruise and every night thereafter. It takes a long time to "play" catch up if you hit rough seas and isn't worth it to us to waste those hours so we just take it daily. That worked for us when Hurricane Hilary changed its course on our EBPC cruise in 2005. So many people were sick but we were perfectly fine. In fact, we loved that cruise the most.
This is exactly what I do. I usually get mine at Walmart either behind the counter or sometimes it is on the shelves near the Bonine. You can chew or swallow the tiny pills, however I was told by the pharmacist that it works faster when chewed. I take 2 pills each evening starting the night before the cruise. I tried to go without taking anything on one cruise.....and it was a big mistake! The first night at dinner I was so ill.....so I had to go back to the cabin and missed the first night on our cruise. I definitely agree that it takes a while to play catch up and feel completely better.....so now I do not chance it...and always take something.

I do get very ill on spinning rides (tea cups, carousel, some 3D movies)....and I cannot read in the car ( books, emails, do crossword puzzles) and sometimes take meclizine when we go to the parks....... as just watching the rides makes me sick.

What is odd is the fact that my mom gets very sick on spinning rides also, but rarely gets seasick. She had vertigo when I was a teenager and I remember her laying in bed for several months feeling dizzy and nauseous. However, when we cruise she rarely needs the meclizine.

Buy the $5-6 bottle of Meclizine for the "just in case" scenario and enjoy your cruise!
Disney Magic 2/6/10 - Western Caribbean 8 night adventure!, Disney Wonder - Bahamas 5/06, Caribbean Princess- Eastern Caribbean 12/05, Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean 12/01, Sovereign of the Seas - Pre-Honeymoon cruise 03/01, Carnival Sensation- Western Caribbean 9/98
caribear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #50
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Now if there would only be a cure for sea legs after a cruise, which I always have, I would be a happy camper.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #51
NWT
Thought the swim was more thrilling

I tried the seabands when we went on a 4-day Bahamas cruise a few years back. I normally did not get seasick before that and could do pretty much any ride, including the teacups. However, there were some pretty bad storms right before our cruise and the waters were rough pretty much the whole cruise. I was ok on deck, but really felt light headed in the dining rooms and theatres. I was able to manage and did not seek any further treatment, but it was annoying. I wore the seabands the entire time, but it did not seem to work. DH and DDs had no issues. It is funny, because DH cannot tolerate spinning rides, but had no issue on the ship.

In the past couple years, I have been experiencing regular vertigo. I think it is a "woman thing." On our next cruise I am going to try the Bonine a few days before, during and after the cruise. It seems like it is what works best for most.
December 1990 - Honeymoon - Disneyland, January 1997 - 1st DD's 1st trip to Disneyland, February 1998 - Trip with in-laws to Disneyland, October 2004 - 2nd DD's 1st trip to Disneyland, February 2007 - Our 1st Disney Cruise - 4 day Wonder & 1st trip to Walt Disney World, January 2009 - Just Momma and DD9 to Disneyland, Dec 31, 2009 to Jan 9, 2010- Disneyland - Just Momma, DH and DD10 (DD17 went to New York), June 2012 - Just Momma and DD20 Disney World - Star Wars Weekend!, Jan 27 - Feb 7, 2013 Niece's first trip, April/May 2015 - 25th Anniversary, just me and DH - WDW/ BC - 14 day Panama Canal Disney Cruise and DL-Disney Hotel - 4 weeks of Disney!

NWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #52
UCFGrad01
Mouseketeer

Biggest of all, I have found the key is to start treating before you board. If you wait until you have symptoms, it's hard to get ahead of it. I've had the most success with the prescription patches. I had dry mouth the first day, but that was the only side effect and it went away.
UCFGrad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #53
proud_canadian
DIS Veteran

We are from Canada. Is Gravol the same as Bonnie?
proud_canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #54
eeyoreandtink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
They have Citric Acid supplements --they then ought to work?
I'm not sure if the citric acid alone is why tart fruits work, or if there is something else in the fruit that is contributing. I just know that green apples, oranges, and line juice in sprite were my go to remedies when I was pregnant and my doctor said the citric avid content was what did it.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #55
JacksLilWench
Bloody Pirates...

I've never felt seasick while taking cruises, but I think that's because I always put a Scopolamine patch on the night before we board (or I may have been a pirate in a previous life, lol ). I hope they patches work for you! They've always done right by me!

Like UCFGrad01 said, you want to get ahead of it more than anything. Once you have symptoms, it's hard to play catch-up. And no one wants to spend their vacation playing catch-up!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #56
Swimmergirl
DIS Veteran

Thanks all for the great insights and tips!

Aug 1996 - Dixie Landings, Jul 2002 - WL & Disney Wonder (Honeymoon!!), Jul 2003 - CR (1st Anniversary!), May 2005 - Poly, May 2006 - POR/SSR/Poly (Mother's Day Suprise!), Jun 2007 - Disneyland, Apr 2008 - WL & Disney Wonder, Oct 2008 - OKW, Oct 2009 - Offsite, Jul 2010 - POR, Jun 2011 - BLT, Dec 2011 - OKW, Aug 2012 - OKW & Disney Dream, Jun 2013 - BLT, Aug 2014 - AKV & Disney Fantasy
Swimmergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: