Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Did you get seasick, and if so how did you remdy it?
No seasickness/never get sick 29 39.73%
Felt ill, but did not treat it 2 2.74%
Never felt ill but took preventative measures (please share in comments!) 16 21.92%
Used a remedy that worked (please share in comments!) 24 32.88%
Used a remedy that didn't work (please share in comments!) 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #31
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I start taking Bonine two nights prior to the start of the cruise. Works like a charm for me and I have no side effects.
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #32
becca1976
Mouseketeer

For those of you taking ginger - how much do you take and when do you take it? I am nervous about getting sea sick as well on my first cruise coming up this Sept. We will be going to Alaska, so after reading, it seems we might get some rough waters from time to time? I don't want to miss out on anything because I wasn't preventing the sea sickness. I am not really prone to motion sickness on land so I don't think I'll need anything too powerful. I like the thought of ginger over meds.
becca1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #33
sager1969
Mouseketeer

I take Bonine the night before and every night. With that, I do not get sick, but my balance is impacted the first and last night of the cruise. If you did not know me, you would assume that I had too many drinks if the day. On smaller boats, I do tend to get a little sick to my tummy. The captain on our whale watching boat had me put this oil called Motion Ease on my perfume points and I immediately felt better. I use sea bands along with Bonine on rough sea days.
BLT - 3/2012; Dream/BWV - 6/2012; Magic - 10/2012;
ALK - 3/2013; Aulani - 6/2013; DVC Dream/AKV - 10/2013; Christmas Dream/WL - 12/2013;
AKL - 3/2014; Wonder - 6/2014; ABD Backstage magic - 7/2014
sager1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #34
wdwmama19
Mouseketeer

I've never gotten seasick but I've definitely felt like I was a little tipsy when the waters got rough. It wasn't necessary to treat though.

When I was younger and couldn't handle the water I took Dramamine and it worked really well. I've also heard ginger works too.
wdwmama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #35
NCConch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1976 View Post
For those of you taking ginger - how much do you take and when do you take it? I am nervous about getting sea sick as well on my first cruise coming up this Sept. We will be going to Alaska, so after reading, it seems we might get some rough waters from time to time? I don't want to miss out on anything because I wasn't preventing the sea sickness. I am not really prone to motion sickness on land so I don't think I'll need anything too powerful. I like the thought of ginger over meds.
Ginger is an "as needed" remedy though taking some as preventative if you are expecting rough seas (leaving PC) works too. For me, a nice cocktail of rum (it's a pirate's life for me) and ginger ale (has to have real ginger) works great. I was able to get ginger gum at our drug store and I think the suggested dose was two Chiclets sized pieces. I am not sure about ginger snaps. I have been told the peel from green apples works as well.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #36
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

The problem with sea sickness is that you need to prevent it, rather than treat it once it starts. Once it starts, it's difficult to stop even with medication.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #37
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

I got seasick on 3 cruises......I always travel with meclizine.....once a day, at night, because it can make you sleepy. Worked great. I think it is the same as Bonine, but being generic it is cheap....like $5 for 100. I was handing them out on one cruise.

I have only gotten queasy going to Alaska outside the inside passage and open water away from land up north during a storm.
I was worried about the transatlantic, but it was fine. Never sick in the Caribbean

Meriweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #38
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoreandtink View Post
Bonine dose is 1-2 tablets in a 24 hour period, so one bonine and one Dramamine is within the recommended. DH and I take 2 bonine tablets before bed every night starting 24 hours before we cruise and don't get sick. DD takes 1 tablet every night. For reference, I cannot ride in the back seat of a car without feeling sick so I am sure I would be miserable without it.

They are higher in citric acid for one thing, that helps with nausea. I used citrus fruit and green apples when I was sick and pregnant.
They have Citric Acid supplements --they then ought to work?
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #39
jujubiee4
Earning My Ears

Have to agree get the generic meclyzine (sp). This stuff is cheap and it works.
My older daughter gets terrible seasickness. Not from the cruise but from the ferry or boat rides to excursions some of them can be quite bumpy choppy.

Gave her one of those pills before she left the ship each time and nada

Last edited by jujubiee4; 07-09-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: misp
jujubiee4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #40
nancipants
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1976 View Post
For those of you taking ginger - how much do you take and when do you take it?
I take a pill with every meal when I'm traveling. Sometimes more, if the seas are rough. You can also get ginger ale in the dining rooms.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #41
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

I use Sea bands. They have two styles, plastic bands and cloth. I have a pair of the cloth that I have had for 4 years now and will be upgrading to the plastic bands. I typically put them on the night before the plane down to the cruise and only take them off after the first day. If I start feeling the boat I put them right back on. With in 30 minutes I'm no longer feel nauseous. I believe in pressure points and use them for various reasons on a regular basis. You just have to make sure you have them in the right spot. It is about 2 finger widths down from the bend in your wrist and center on the inside of your wrists.

I use these because anti-nausea medicine makes me feel even worse.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #42
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

I get motion sickness so I was scared I would be sick for my vacation so I took with me ginger capsules, ginger-ale, ginger lozenges and ginger cookies.
Then the night before the cruise I got scared that ginger wouldn't be enough (even though it tested superior to all other over the counter methods) and took a bonine. Then I took a bonine every night of the cruise. One night I was a couple of hours past time to take it again and was in the theater and started feeling bad. I went back and took it and felt better within about 20 minutes.
The bonine didn't make me feel tired or weird or anything.

Hope this helps!

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Dream
ptcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #43
pikaboo27
I knew I could count on you!

I've been on many cruises and they each taught me a lot. I get very seasick so I knew I had to take something.

I tried sea bands and I was ok (not great, but ok), but by the third day I started getting a tingling in my hands. Apparently plus size wrists and sea bands don't mix since they were cutting off my circulation. Sea bands: Fail!

For another cruise I tried Bonine. I had to take them far more often than recommended to get any relief and my eyes dilated so much! I looked like I was in a horror movie because all you could see of my eye color was a pencil tip thin band of color. And eye dilation is no fun in very sunny weather. Bonine: Fail!

Then we went on a Royal cruise a couple years ago and I tried the prescription patch. *cue choirs of angels singing* Finally I was completely fine despite some rough seas. Prescription Patch:Winning!

Have a great cruise!

pikaboo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #44
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

I'm voting and speaking for my wife, she does get sea sick. She uses the less drowsy Dramamine 24 hour tablets. She takes the maximum recommended dose each night (I believe two but read and follow the label) before going to bed starting with the night before our flight down to Orlando.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #45
blondietink
DIS Veteran

None of the 4 of us have very gotten sea sick. We always take our Bonine, ginger pills and wristbands on each cruise and have never had to use them. On our first cruise I asked why there were always green apples out on lido deck and one of the staff said that they are for sea sickness. So, there is a remedy on hand for anybody who feels sea sick.

I will say that the worst rocking of a ship we have been on was out of Tampa and we went right through the gulf of Mexico to Cozumel. Tried to go to Grand Cayman but it was closed due to wind/waves. There were sea sick bags all over the ship and restrooms but we never felt sick. The water splashed out of all the pools on deck it was so rough. We had a blast!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: