Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 04:55 AM   #1
misseskb
Earning My Ears

Glutton for punishment for Chef Mickey?

We are cruising out of Port Canaveral (not a disney cruise) on 8/31 flying in the early morning of 8/30. The original plan was to stay at Pop Century and have a 5:30pm dinner at Chef Mickey's. Since we are not actually going to a park I thought we would explore the hotel and playground and nap before dinner. After reading on disney's transportation system I figured we can take a taxi to dinner and back to avoid the bus wait with a 22 month old (holiday weekend) and it would just be faster to get to the contemporary resort. It just hit me that we will not have car seats so we have to use disney transportation.

The other option will be to stay in downtown disney for almost double the price of pop century, and have a character breakfast at the whyndam on Sunday morning for half the cost of chef mickey. The town car picks us up at 10am, and breakfast is served from 8-10.

Our little one loves minnie mouse from mickey mouse clubhouse. DH and I have never been to Disney and we are in our mid-30's. Being so close to I wanted to have somewhat of a Disney experience since I am sure it will be at least 3 years before we take the little one for the full experience.

Should we keep the original chef mickey plans or change to downtown disney breakfast on Sunday? I think realistically the experience is more for DH and I than the LO. Is the Chef Mickey experience worth this? TIA.
misseskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

"Worth it" is really subjective. We like Chef Mickey for breakfast and dinner. It is always busy and loud here. The food is buffet food but a good selection. You are almost guaranteed to see Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald and Goofy (no characters are guaranteed but this is the standard line up) I'm not sure if the taxi services have car seats but it's not that difficult to catch the bus to MK and walk to the Contemporary, it's not that far.

The DTD Hilton has a Character Breakfast every Sunday as well. They don't announce who attends but it's almost always the same four characters Minnie, Pluto, Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear (From Song of the South.) They have Mickey Waffles and a really good buffet. If you stay on the business floor, it's only $10 per person for this meal.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
misseskb
Earning My Ears

Thanks Disney_Princess83 for the reply. Will an umbrella stroller be cause too much congestion on the Magical Express bus or at Chef Mickey. I want to make the trip as smooth as possible. TIA.
misseskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
CSchex
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misseskb View Post
We are cruising out of Port Canaveral (not a disney cruise) on 8/31 flying in the early morning of 8/30. The original plan was to stay at Pop Century and have a 5:30pm dinner at Chef Mickey's. Since we are not actually going to a park I thought we would explore the hotel and playground and nap before dinner. After reading on disney's transportation system I figured we can take a taxi to dinner and back to avoid the bus wait with a 22 month old (holiday weekend) and it would just be faster to get to the contemporary resort. It just hit me that we will not have car seats so we have to use disney transportation.

The other option will be to stay in downtown disney for almost double the price of pop century, and have a character breakfast at the whyndam on Sunday morning for half the cost of chef mickey. The town car picks us up at 10am, and breakfast is served from 8-10.

Our little one loves minnie mouse from mickey mouse clubhouse. DH and I have never been to Disney and we are in our mid-30's. Being so close to I wanted to have somewhat of a Disney experience since I am sure it will be at least 3 years before we take the little one for the full experience.

Should we keep the original chef mickey plans or change to downtown disney breakfast on Sunday? I think realistically the experience is more for DH and I than the LO. Is the Chef Mickey experience worth this? TIA.
I've stayed at both the Wyndham (2013) and the Pop Century (many times) and unless they have done some major upgrades to the Wyndham, it is not worth double the price of the Pop!
CSchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
wdwgoofydaddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks Disney_Princess83 for the reply. Will an umbrella stroller be cause too much congestion on the Magical Express bus or at Chef Mickey. I want to make the trip as smooth as possible. TIA.
An umbrella stroller is not an issue on the bus. There are people that have double strollers all the time. They will just place the stroller with the luggage on the magical express. When on Disney transportation, you can just bring it on the bus with you.

We have cone the bus from Pop to MK before and also walk from the MK bus stop to the Contemporary resort. it is like a 5-7 minute walk along a dedicated path or you can have a bit more fun and take the monorail from MK to Chef Mickey's.

If you like more info on Chef Mickey's, here is our review

http://memoriesofdisney.com/post/201...-dining-review

Hope this helps
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Memor...46591875460145
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/memoriesodisney/

April 2005 - WDW / June 2007- WDW / January 2008 - Cruise (Magic) / December 2009 - WDW / March 2010 - WDW / August 2010 - WDW / February 2011 - WDW & Cruise (Dream) / April 2011 - WDW / August 2011 - WDW / February 2012 - WDW & Cruise (Dream) / August 2012 - WDW / December 2012 - WDW & Cruise (Dream) / July 2013 - WDW / January 2014 - WDW & Cruise (Dream) / March 2014 - WDW & Cruise (Magic) / May 2014 - WDW 24hr Event / Aug 2014 x2 - WDW/ Dec 2014 - WDW / Mar 2015 - WDW / May 2015 - DLR

wdwgoofydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
wolf2961
Mouseketeer

We are staying one night at the wyndham this August, before beginning our stay on property. We paid $51 for the night on Priceline. Maybe doing something like that makes chef mickeys an option?
wolf2961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
SillySallySews
Mouseketeer

There are a lot of mixed reviews about Chef Mickey's on these boards. We just had dinner there two weeks ago and had a great experience. The food is not gourmet or spectacular, but it's good and there's a lot of variety. The husband and I probably got our money's worth in sushi alone lol. We had all five characters (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Goofy) come to our table twice and we were only there an hour plus maybe ten minutes. Your stroller will not be an issue. You can't bring it in the restaurant unless you really need to for some reason (like if your child is asleep in it) but there is a stroller parking area just outside the entrance, over by the windows. I don't know if you actually meant Disney's Magical Express or just the regular busses, but either way the stroller won't be an issue there either. On the regular busses to the parks you just fold up your stroller and take it on the bus with you.
SillySallySews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
On the Magical Express or Disney Bus you won't have any problems. At Chef Mickey however, the table service restaurants usually don't let you bring in strollers. There is stroller parking outside of the restaurant. You can ask if they have a bucket style infant high chair. If the little one is asleep when you arrive, they might let you bring the stroller in.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: