Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you order the most bang for your buck or do you just order what you wan
I typically try to get the best bang for my buck on DDP 30 37.04%
I use DDP for the convenience & pay no attention to cost value 51 62.96%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #31
lam0037
Mouseketeer

Agree with others that it allows me to choose what I want without worrying about the price. If it happens to be the most expensive thing on the menu, then it is. I plan on getting the filet and lobster at Narcoossee's on our December trip, but I also just ordered that a couple months ago at a restaurant in town.

I also like the convenience of it, as I'm going with my boyfriend. We don't have to worry about splitting checks or figuring out who buys the next meal. It's paid for beforehand.
lam0037 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #32
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googilycub View Post
I order what I want. Sometimes when I look at a menu I might hesitate against an entree because of the price, but on the dining plan I can order anything and not worry about it. I normally do a fish or vegetarian dish, so I normally pick the veggie dish because of the price. On the dining plan I might skip the veggies because the extra $15 for an entree isn't swaying my opinion.
Exactly my response. I typically go for the veg option when paying OOP but will "upgrade" to the fish if using DDP. Once in a very blue moon I will get a steak...

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #33
JCornell
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't say we just try to maximize bang for our buck. We do tend to choose some different restaurants when on DDP. To a lesser degree, we probably make some different meal selections but don't simply order the most expensive item on the menu. We do have a bad habit of ordering desserts more than we probably want to, though.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #34
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

DDP for me means convenience. It also means that everything has been pre-paid (other than the tip). As a single mom I am always looking at prices & when we do go out to dinner no way would I let my 3 boys order a $40 entree! But, with the DDP they usually get the most expensive items on the menu, if that's what they want. It doesn't matter to me if it makes financial sense or if I'm getting the best bang for my buck. I like having everything all paid for.
momofboyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #35
wellesleyprincess
DIS Veteran

Convenience, we do a lot of buffets plus I'm vegan which a lot of time means ordering off menu. On the DDP, the chef doesn't have to worry about what he or she's charging me for the special entree.
March 1990- WDW Offsite ~ May 1994- Poly ~ May 1999- Coronado Springs ~ April 2003- Offsite (EPCOT & MGM & Universal) ~ June 2005- Yacht Club ~ March 2008- Pop Century at Easter ~ January 2010 Marathon Weekend Trip at All Star Sports (Full Marathon Finisher)~ May/June 2010 Contemporary ~ January 2011 POFQ (Goofy Challenge)~August/September 2012 WWoHP~ September/October 2012 ToT 10 Miler/ Food & Wine All Star Sports~ October 2013 Pop Century Father-Daughter Food & Wine trip
wellesleyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #36
nikkij
Mouseketeer

We usually try to get the best of both worlds...We try to get something more expensive but we know we will enjoy. We would never order the most expensive menu item and hope we would like it or if it was a borderline preference. We would never get burgers or a sandwich with TS. However we are really really in the mood for a lesser expensive item we go for it. With all that being said, we really aren't buffet people but character meals are pretty much strictly buffets at WDW and in order to take advantage of that we go with character meal buffets, we would never pay oop for a nugget character meal.

We use ddp because it allows for less stress when it comes to budgeting on our trip since the food is paid for, not to mention we get snacks and the mugs. Again the snacks and mugs aren't something we would likely pay oop for.

Me, DH, DS, 4 furbabies

WDW POR Aug. 08
WDW CSR Jan. 14 (no kid allowed)
WDW CBR Nov. 14
nikkij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #37
ajwolfe
DIS Veteran

We usually just order whatever we want when on the DDP, but I will say that being on the DDP causes me not to worry about the price as much. If we were not on DDP, I would be ordering the cheaper items on the menu. That said thought we don't usually order a sandwich for dinner at a TS either.

Aug. 2000-Holiday Villas
Jan. 2006-ASMO. The perfect trip!!!
Dec. 2008-ASMO. Our first Christmas Trip!
Jan. 2011 -CBR-pirate room, the boys loved it!!
Feb. 2013 - French Quarter was the best!
May 2014 - Riverside with extended family.
ajwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #38
BudgieMama
DIS Veteran

We got Free Dining for our trip (along with 40% off our room rate Very nice).

We're wary of tips, as we have to tip at a rate much higher than we would normally be comfortable with (one of the downsides of visiting the USA), so we will order what we want to eat, but keep an eye on how much the tip will cost us. Some of those can really add up!
Upcoming: October 2014: Yorkshire/Blackpool * February 2015: Iceland
Lifelong Dream: PTR Report *** Living the Dream Trip Report *** http://longsdisneytrip.blogspot.co.uk/
BudgieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #39
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I don't know that the dining plan is meant to be a cost savings. It CAN be IF you go to the most expensive places AND order the most expensive menu items. But I'd imagine few do that for the duration of their stay. Anyone who pays for the dining plan (you're still paying for it even under the free dining promo since you pay rack rate for the room), is paying for the convenience of it, since most of the time you will break even or overpay.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #40
vtownpatty
Mouseketeer

I don't always order the most expensive option, but as a previous poster stated, if I were not on the DP I would most likely be looking for lower cost options. I order whatever looks good to me.
vtownpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #41
blana
DIS Veteran

I get what I enjoy eating, which is usually no where close to the most expensive item on the menu; however, we "splurge" by getting desserts, which we wouldn't normally do. It's been worth it to us to get the dining plan because we've done a good number of character meals, and the kids are all still kids. Once the kids aren't Disney kids anymore, I'll reconsider the dining plan. So, while I want to get "bang for my buck", I try to make sure that the bang is worth it the way we'd normally eat. If that makes sense.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #42
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

Neither answer fits so I didn't vote. I order the entrees I want at regular TS and signatures regardless of price but I do choose mix in lots of over-priced buffets that I wouldn't be happy paying for unless I was on the DDP. . The buffets make my kids happy so it works for us.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #43
Princess Serendipity
If It's Not Baroque

Same here, neither answer really fits.

My husband and I love filets, and I tend to like the more expensive options anyway, so we get what we want, but what we want usually ends up being the more pricey entrees anyway. We also only eat at Table Service restaurants and upgrade to the Deluxe plan (with a discount), so there's a lot of signatures in there.

My husband really likes the plan because he gets anxious about the cost of things, so if we weren't on the plan he'd probably guilt himself if he got a filet, or convince himself that he should get something cheaper, etc. There's also being able to try desserts and appetizers and drinks we might want to try but not order because of cost and worrying about liking it or not. So it's also about him being able to enjoy the vacation more without that stress.

I actually went and totaled up how much we'd spend (with current menus) at the restaurants we have planned if we weren't on the dining plan and were getting the things we absolutely wanted (so not always an appetizer or dessert, no drinks at all). With the room only discount, it pretty much is about dead even or even a little more than what we'd spend with the dining plan, which includes drinks and snacks (which are great for bring home souvenirs).
Princess Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: