Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #31
Aurora0427
DIS Veteran
 
Aurora0427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 889

You are going to be spending $300 plus on dinner in the most fabulous restaurant at WDW. V&A's is truly one of the most incredible dining experiences anywhere, not just at WDW. So put on a sport coat and go with it!
Aurora0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #32
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)
 
minnie mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WAY too far north
Posts: 12,324

At a restaurant of the caliber of V&As, I don't think it is asking too much for the gentlemen to remain properly dressed. We've dined in many places as fine as this, and it would be quite unseemly to see men removing their jackets during their meal. On our visits we found the air conditioning quite comfortable. DH wears a summer weight wool suit and is quite comfortable. I would imagine that someone wearing a heavier weight wool or (shudder) synthetic fabric might be warmer. So put some thought into your selection and just enjoy your evening.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #33
Aurora0427
DIS Veteran
 
Aurora0427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
At a restaurant of the caliber of V&As, I don't think it is asking too much for the gentlemen to remain properly dressed. We've dined in many places as fine as this, and it would be quite unseemly to see men removing their jackets during their meal. On our visits we found the air conditioning quite comfortable. DH wears a summer weight wool suit and is quite comfortable. I would imagine that someone wearing a heavier weight wool or (shudder) synthetic fabric might be warmer. So put some thought into your selection and just enjoy your evening.
This. Exactly.
Aurora0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:16 AM   #34
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,602

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
The food was amazing.
So how does it compare to other high end places you have been to? I haven't been to many high end places in Southern CA, but I enjoy Las Vegas. Can you compare V&A to Guy Savoy or Joel Robuchon?
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #35
dennis99ss
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 1,397

I do not do Los Angeles or Vegas, so I can't comment there, but I do visit London, Mexico City, Chicago, New Orleans and New York, and am in Houston. While I am no way fully versed in all of the restaurants in all of these cities, I can say that V&A tops any of the finer places I have been to in any of these cities. Of course, that is just my opinion. It is based on the taste, presentation, service, atmosphere. As with anything YMMV
dennis99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #36
RealBlast3
Mouseketeer
 
RealBlast3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Centereach, NY
Posts: 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
At a restaurant of the caliber of V&As, I don't think it is asking too much for the gentlemen to remain properly dressed. We've dined in many places as fine as this, and it would be quite unseemly to see men removing their jackets during their meal. On our visits we found the air conditioning quite comfortable. DH wears a summer weight wool suit and is quite comfortable. I would imagine that someone wearing a heavier weight wool or (shudder) synthetic fabric might be warmer. So put some thought into your selection and just enjoy your evening.
LOL Ok. I disagree with that. And on at least one occasion, so did Victoria and Albert's. I mean...unseemly? You make it sound like they're stripping or something.

I mean, I've dined there around 5 times or so and have always abided by the rules and always will, and I am not the type to ask for special treatment or anything, so I'm not going to ask to take my blazer off, but that doesn't mean I can't at least voice my displeasure about it on these boards at least, over what I consider a too strict policy. I mean, a gentleman looks just fine in a nice collared dress shirt, especially with a tie. I hardly think people are going to be looking up in aghast shock during their meals by a man who has removed his blazer and placed it on his chair, provided he is otherwise properly atired. Can't see it upsetting the atmosphere or somehow encroaching on the elegance of the evening. Especially when a lady might be wearing a gown that is off the shoulders with no wrap.

It's just my opinion, as I said. I love the place and will continue to go of course. But it's fun to complain at least on here about minutiae.
RealBlast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #37
sabcook
Mouseketeer
 
sabcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 369

V&A policy is quite clear....
The only case in which gentlemen are allowed to eat without a jacket is if they are at the Chef's Table. It is in the kitchen and tends to be warmer than the rest of the restaurant (and less formal, since you are the only diners there). Even so, you are asked to put it back on while you go to the restroom or out to take a break. If you are in the main dining room or the QVR, it has to stay on. If it helps, we have eaten there several times and my husband never found it too hot to keep his jacket on. In fact, I have learned to take a sweater with me because I have found it to be on the chilly side.
__________________
sabcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #38
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena MD
Posts: 2,425

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndisneyfan View Post
Just curious, but do the men get hot while they are eating with the jacket on? I know my DH gets hot easily, he would be sweating like crazy. DO they keep it cool enough for a man to be comfortable in a suit jacket?
I always end up freezing and have learned to bring a wrap or wear a long sleeved dress.

DH is in his Mess dress uniform( wool) and has the body temperature of the sun and has never been so uncomfortable he gets flushed.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #39
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena MD
Posts: 2,425

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
So how does it compare to other high end places you have been to? I haven't been to many high end places in Southern CA, but I enjoy Las Vegas. Can you compare V&A to Guy Savoy or Joel Robuchon?
on par. in some aspects, better.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #40
markmcalear
Mouseketeer
 
markmcalear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 239

ok so my options are as follows:

1. I bring a suit with me (dont want to do this).

2. I wear the following:

Trousers - http://www.next.co.uk/g392366s4#6699...=waistsize38in
Shirt - White linen shirt similar to http://www.next.co.uk/g63108s4#792076g63

But I need to buy a jacket, I think suit jackets look a bit too formal for the above ensemble. My shortlist is as follows:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/wool-...et/p/p22270046
http://www.marksandspencer.com/pure-...et/p/p22268515
http://www.next.co.uk/g90118s6#13315...=waistsize38in
http://www.moss.co.uk/ted-baker-tail...cket-965079204
http://www.moss.co.uk/zegna-cloth-re...cket-964890156
http://www.moss.co.uk/moss-1851-made...cket-965053209

Any advice would be most appreciated. I trust this ensemble would be acceptable for V&As??
__________________

markmcalear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #41
MaggiesMomNJ
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 487

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealBlast3 View Post
LOL Ok. I disagree with that. And on at least one occasion, so did Victoria and Albert's. I mean...unseemly? You make it sound like they're stripping or something.

I mean, I've dined there around 5 times or so and have always abided by the rules and always will, and I am not the type to ask for special treatment or anything, so I'm not going to ask to take my blazer off, but that doesn't mean I can't at least voice my displeasure about it on these boards at least, over what I consider a too strict policy. I mean, a gentleman looks just fine in a nice collared dress shirt, especially with a tie. I hardly think people are going to be looking up in aghast shock during their meals by a man who has removed his blazer and placed it on his chair, provided he is otherwise properly atired. Can't see it upsetting the atmosphere or somehow encroaching on the elegance of the evening. Especially when a lady might be wearing a gown that is off the shoulders with no wrap.

It's just my opinion, as I said. I love the place and will continue to go of course. But it's fun to complain at least on here about minutiae.
The snotty comments make me laugh(sorry I quoted the wrong person...it was the comments about it being inappropriate for a man to remove his jacket). I ate at this restaurant when I was a kid with my parents. Proper business attire is all they expect. If you have ever dined in a country club, it would be the same as that.
__________________
MaggiesMomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #42
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran
 
Uncleromulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Glen Rock Pa.
Posts: 15,352

I guess the real point is--if they require a jacket, why require it if you can just take it off?
__________________
1'st Disney experience-- Movie "Peter Pan", 1953, Naval Air Station Theatre, Pensacola Florida.
WDW first meal-Papeete Bay Verandah, Sept. 1975
Victoria and Alberts first dinner Sept. 1988
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #43
sookie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrBchJ View Post
When I've gone with men who didn't have a jacket or sports coat they were loaned to them. The guys were like you they didn't want to pack a jacket for one night. The loaners were always navy or black blazers and perfect for the evening.
Gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcalear View Post
Do you have to wear the jacket all evening or can you hang it over the back of your chair?
I think that if the jacket issue really, really bothers you - pick a different resturant where you will be comfortable and enjoy yourself. Otherwise, bring your own jacket and enjoy the evening.
__________________
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #44
RealBlast3
Mouseketeer
 
RealBlast3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Centereach, NY
Posts: 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
I guess the real point is--if they require a jacket, why require it if you can just take it off?
I don't know but it's odd to me because in the real world there are plenty of occasions like weddings and funerals and fancy parties that also one would have to wear a suit of some kind for and nobody bats an eyelash say, at a wedding reception, if during the course of the evening, the gentlemen take off their blazers. I wouldn't remove my blazer in church as I'm going down the aisle which say, I'd make equivalent with arriving at the entrance of Victoria and Albert's, however during the act of eating, which can get messy, it just seems more practical? At least to me. But then, I always seem to have a problem with long baggy sleeves, such as on blazers, getting sipped in sauces and butters and the like.

I can certainly understand them not wandering gentlemen wandering around their establishment, taking pictures, visiting the rest room, without their blazer on, but at my own private table, again, it's just my opinion, I see no breach of formal etiquette for a gentleman to place his jacket on the back of his chair. If I dip my blazer cuff in their expensive, imported butter, can I send them the dry cleaning bill?
RealBlast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #45
Fly me with Balloons
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 167

While I try to stay as casual as possible, as often as possible, if you wear a coat & tie to an event (wedding, nice restaurant, banquet, etc) etiquette dictates they should remain on throughout the event.
Fly me with Balloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: