Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
pizza45
Earning My Ears

Tips for dining locations and traveling to and from?

I'm booking all my ADRs now and just curious if anyone has any tips for best way to plan dining at the resorts and park days and distance to and from hotels?
For example we are staying at the Riverside and on our epcot day I just booked breakfast at Ohana, this seems like it may not work? Am I over thinking booking everything or do people come up with a plan first? Sorry if this sounds dumb!
pizza45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

All I can tell you is what we do. I first use easywdw's crowd calendar and park recommendations to determine which park we will be at each day. Then I select my restaurants either in that park or in a resort very close to that park.

I try to avoid ADRs that are distant from where we will be to avoid wasting time with transportation (which can be lengthy if using Disney transpo). So to use your example, I would probably do Ohana on a MK day and perhaps Cape May or Akershus on an Epcot day.

If we want to dine at a dinner show, DTD or another resort in the evening, we usually do that on an AK day (due to their early closing) or on a non park day.

Generally we allow an hour for travel time to get from one place to another via Disney transport.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

The general rule of thumb is to allow about 45 minutes per leg of a journey when using Disney transportation. It might not take that long, but it allows for time waiting for the bus/boat/monorail and then the actual travel time (including any other stops). For example, the estimate would be to allow about 1.5 hours to get from POR to 'Ohana (45 minutes to get from POR to MK and then another 45 minutes to get from MK to Poly). I have read that sometimes there are buses that go from resort-to-resort for early morning ADRs, but I've not used them, so I don't know how often they run, where they go, etc. After you eat, allow about 45 minutes to get from Poly to Epcot. As minnie mum suggested, I would try to tie my ADRs to the parks I'm visiting that day or I would budget to take taxis.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:41 AM   #4
quakechicago
ADR-making addict!

My best suggestion is to note parade times. We got stuck behind one and almost missed an ADR!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

We do as Minnie Mum does.
We use the crowd calendars, such as on easywdw.com to choose which park on which day.
Then we make our ADR's in a restaurant in or very near that park.
I would never do what you are doing.
WDW is huge. You can waste hours of valuable time traveling from one area to a distant ADR. For 'OHana breakfast, I would only do it before MK opening on a MK day
Good Luck rethinking your plans
Old 07-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
ajwolfe
DIS Veteran

We just stayed at POR in May and actually ended up with a O'Hana breakfast ADR on our DHS day due to some reshuffling that we had to do when family decided to join us. Do you have a car with you or are you relying on Disney transportation? We had our car and it honestly was a pretty quick drive to O'Hana from POR. Didn't take maybe 10 minutes.

Aug. 2000-Holiday Villas
Jan. 2006-ASMO. The perfect trip!!!
Dec. 2008-ASMO. Our first Christmas Trip!
Jan. 2011 -CBR-pirate room, the boys loved it!!
Feb. 2013 - French Quarter was the best!
May 2014 - Riverside with extended family.
ajwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
I have read that sometimes there are buses that go from resort-to-resort for early morning ADRs, but I've not used them, so I don't know how often they run, where they go, etc.
There are early buses that go from resorts to theme parks for early ADRs- they start running at 6:30am. I've not seen or heard of resort-to-resort buses. Occasionally, if you get on a MK bus for an early ADR at Chef Mickey's, the driver will drop you at the Contemporary.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrich View Post
There are early buses that go from resorts to theme parks for early ADRs- they start running at 6:30am. I've not seen or heard of resort-to-resort buses. Occasionally, if you get on a MK bus for an early ADR at Chef Mickey's, the driver will drop you at the Contemporary.
I did not mean to indicate that there always resort-to-resort buses. Normally, there are no resort-to-resort buses unless the resorts happen to share a bus route. What I was talking about was what you had mentioned; that sometimes the buses will take guests directly to the resort with an early morning ADR rather than make then transfer at a theme park. I've read about this for Chef Mickey's (as you mentioned) and for 'Ohana (Poly).
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
LONES
Mouseketeer

We do breakfast at Ohana every trip, and we have always taken a cab. It's a pretty quick cab ride from POR. We take a cab because my parents travel with us, and they both have mobility issues. It's easiest for them to just get dropped off at the front door rather than trying to transfer from MK.

I would think that would be a good plan for you... cab to Ohana, and then monorail to Epcot.
LONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Getting to your ADR's can be a huge pain. The very first time we got a dinning plan, we really didn't take the travel time into consideration, and we spend so much time just getting to our ADR's. Now we plan everything out. What we usually do is; If we are going to have an ADR at a Park, we make sure that is the park we are visiting that day. If we are at EPCOT we may schedule an ADR at a Boardwalk Area Restuarant, or over at Yacht or Beach Club. If we are at the MK, we May schedule an ADR at one of the Monorail Resorts or even at Wilderness Lodge. If we are going to a resort for an ADR we usually just Drive unless, we are planning to go to a Park later. Then we may take a cab. Paying for a cab is worth it to us, I would much rather pay a few bucks, then to have to get on a bus at my resort, go to either DTD or a Park, Get off the bus, wait in line for another bus to come. Yeah, we take a cab.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
joannamet
Mouseketeer

Travelling around the world can take up a lot of your day. I plan dining around where we are at the time, especially for breakfast and lunch since that's prime park time. Dining isn't really the reason we go to to Disney so we don't go out of our way for certain restaurants. With park hopper we're more likely just to jump over to Epcot for dinner.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: