Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 05:42 AM   #16
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadanes View Post
I think DS would love FANTASMIC but our younger boy has a lot of fear and the seating looks intimidating. Maybe next time!
We started all the way up top which helped a lot
Old 07-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
TheMonsterKeeper
Earning My Ears

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Thank thank thank thank you

This entire thread was full of such great info for a MOM with a tween with autism headed to Disney!!! Thanks for the info!!!!
TheMonsterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #18
blondietink
DIS Veteran

May I ask what accommodation you asked for on your son's DAS? My one son age 22 is Autistic and we are usually with my other son who uses a wheelchair so a DAS is not usually needed. However, it would be nice to take them separately, but I am unsure what kind of DAS accommodation I should ask for. My DS sounds similar to yours.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #19
Unas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
May I ask what accommodation you asked for on your son's DAS? My one son age 22 is Autistic and we are usually with my other son who uses a wheelchair so a DAS is not usually needed. However, it would be nice to take them separately, but I am unsure what kind of DAS accommodation I should ask for. My DS sounds similar to yours.
If I understand the Present system correctly, wheelchairs use the regular entrance and line.
Unas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #20
Goddesstree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
There is only one accommodation associated with the DAS - it gives you a wait time for the standby queue so you don't have to be in the physical queue. When you go to guest services, you need to be able to explain to the CM why someone in your party cannot tolerate being in a stand by queue. That person needs to be at guest services to have his/her photo taken as well.
Goddesstree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #21
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unas View Post
If I understand the Present system correctly, wheelchairs use the regular entrance and line.
Yes I know that. I HAVE 2 disabled sons. One uses a wheelchair. The other one doesn't. If I want to take my non-wheelchair user son without my wheelchair user son, he will need a DAS due to his Autism.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #22
Coonhound
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes I know that. I HAVE 2 disabled sons. One uses a wheelchair. The other one doesn't. If I want to take my non-wheelchair user son without my wheelchair user son, he will need a DAS due to his Autism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddesstree View Post
There is only one accommodation associated with the DAS - it gives you a wait time for the standby queue so you don't have to be in the physical queue. When you go to guest services, you need to be able to explain to the CM why someone in your party cannot tolerate being in a stand by queue. That person needs to be at guest services to have his/her photo taken as well.
Yes. The DAS just allows you to wait outside the actual line, like you could wait on a bench or in a store for example, and then when it's your turn to go on the ride, you can go straight into the fastpass line.
So let's say the ride line is one hour, they will give you a return time of 50 minutes (they usually make it ten minutes less than the regular line because wherever you wait you might need ten minutes or so to walk back to the the ride- like if you decide to wait in a store or on to bench or someplace, they subtract ten minutes from your wait time to account for the time it may take you to come back to the ride).
So then when your wait time is over you go straight to the fastpass line. Now that line can be 15 or 20 minutes sometimes, but it will be a lot shorter of a wait in line than if you were in the regular line which could be an hour.
So if you think this option would help your son, you just need to explain at city hall why he can't stand in the actual line (anxiety, too close to strangers who might bump into him, etc)
Coonhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #23
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So you'd get a DAS for your son that includes your whole party. The DAS stays with your autistic child and your wheelchair child can just go through normal or FP lines if you split.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #24
milza26
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the report. My DS (8) has Aspergers and loved the Agent P game! We only did Mexico and had a minor meltdown that we couldn't do more. So we plan on doing the rest of the countries on the next visit. The CM told us to do all countries takes 3 1/5 hours. I wanted to passed that info for planning purposes. Planning makes things easier for us so it was great info for us!

milza26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:35 AM   #25
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddesstree View Post
Correct. I'm a 19 year old with autism. I LOVED Agent P. I'm glad to hear your son had a great time.

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Concerts
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autism, das

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: