DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
stacy~**
DIS Veteran

Touring resorts

We have been considering a resale purchase for some time now and are traveling to WDW next month. During this trip I am hoping to tour OKW, BCV and BWV (we are staying at SSR which is the 4th resort we are considering).

We have done the Disney sales pitch in the past so not interested in that ...I was just hoping to stop by each resort and ask to see a studio/ 1BR without having to listen to the sales pitch. Is that possible? I know BWV has a open studio (?) along the Boardwalk...do the other resorts have that as well? Any advice on how to tour these resorts somewhat quickly? (we have stayed at the hotel at both BC and BW so have seen pool/etc. there). Its a short trip for us so I don't want to waste too much time. Thanks!!
DISNEYLAND-Paradise Pier July 2013*BWI June 2012
ASMo March 2012-one day only*WL July 2010
POFQ Jan 2009*DISNEYLAND-Hojo Aug 2007
POFQ March 2007*CSR Aug 2006

"We're not gonna make it, we're not gonna make it!"-August 2014-TR
PTR: Have you ever planned a trip in 39 days on a total impulse? Same!~Aug 2014

3 days in LA, 6 days in Disneyland and 1 Amazing Cast Member Photo bomb

I am on twitter: http://twitter.com/stacyleigh9
stacy~** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

You will only be able to see a room if one is un booked and the front desk is willing to do it. There are no models at BCV or OKW and I don't know about SSR. Other than the sales center at SSR, boardwalk is the only place with a model that I know of currently.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

DVC won't tour you but the resort may let you into a room if they have the time. Problem is they don't usually have the time and all of the rooms are occupied. The resorts don't really care if you buy so the don't have any incentive to help out.

I would take a DVC vacation booking stays at the resorts that you are considering.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
stacy~**
DIS Veteran

All very good advice...thank you! I do have an additional question. If we have stayed at the resort itself (BC and BW) do you feel that is a good enough representation of DVC there or do you think it is still important to stay DVC before purchasing?
DISNEYLAND-Paradise Pier July 2013*BWI June 2012
ASMo March 2012-one day only*WL July 2010
POFQ Jan 2009*DISNEYLAND-Hojo Aug 2007
POFQ March 2007*CSR Aug 2006

"We're not gonna make it, we're not gonna make it!"-August 2014-TR
PTR: Have you ever planned a trip in 39 days on a total impulse? Same!~Aug 2014

3 days in LA, 6 days in Disneyland and 1 Amazing Cast Member Photo bomb

I am on twitter: http://twitter.com/stacyleigh9
stacy~** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
HokieGCC
BWV Owners

BWV - Yes

The others I don't know.

At BWV it's just what is advertised.

HokieGCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't compare BC to BCV, they are very different decor wise. There was just a complaint about that from a new owner here on the boards this week. They felt mislead by the differences.

All of the other hotel-connected resorts where I have stayed (so not BLT or VGF because I haven't stayed there) seem pretty similar between the hotel and DVC side to me.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

The BW has a walk thru open house that's a 1BR. The SSR has mock ups at the Sales Center showing the newer studios. As studio dwellers we felt the actual hotel room were a better representation of style than the 1BR because the studio setup is more like the hotel rooms with a kitchenette.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy~** View Post
If we have stayed at the resort itself (BC and BW) do you feel that is a good enough representation of DVC there or do you think it is still important to stay DVC before purchasing?
i think the DVC side would be pretty different. a studio is similar in size and location on property to a hotel room on the other side of the same resort (for BC/BCV, WL/VWL, BWI/BWV, AKL/AKV-jambo) but the level of maintenance and styles of decor can vary significantly IMO. if you expect a studio at BCV to match up perfectly to a hotel room at BC, i think you'll wind up disappointed.

edited to add: i do think looking online at recent pictures (post-bedspreads) will give you a reasonable idea of what to expect on the DVC side.

Last edited by chalee94; 07-05-2014 at 09:27 AM.
chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
cvjw
DIS Veteran

While checking into Kidani Village a few trips ago, there was a couple at the front desk asking to do what you want - tour a villa. They were told no and sent on their way. You may have a different outcome if there is an open villa and someone who is willing to use their time to give you a tour. Just be prepared either way.

We had not stayed in all of the resorts that we purchased resale - we bought 4 properties at the same time. We purchased the resorts that we liked based on location (BCV and VWL) to book at 11 months out. We then purchased OKW and SSR to use at the 7 month mark.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
disneynutz

The reason for buying a particular resort is because you love staying there more than other resorts. If you haven't stayed in all of the resorts, how do you know which is your favorite?

Do you really want to take a chance buying without staying there? You may not like the room layout, the location, the transportation, the amenities at the resort, restaurants, views from the room, size of the bathrooms, the theming, the color, the long halls, or the pool.

Bill

Old 07-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #11
supersnoop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
While checking into Kidani Village a few trips ago, there was a couple at the front desk asking to do what you want - tour a villa. They were told no and sent on their way. You may have a different outcome if there is an open villa and someone who is willing to use their time to give you a tour. Just be prepared either way.
That's really strange. I was there three weeks ago and the DVC rep seemed to have a model at Kidani. They let me walk through a two bedroom lock-off just off the lobby.
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersnoop View Post
That's really strange. I was there three weeks ago and the DVC rep seemed to have a model at Kidani. They let me walk through a two bedroom lock-off just off the lobby.
DVD/DVC is one company, the resorts are a different company. The resort, (front Desk) has no interest in touring you. The DVD/DVC ASA/Guides would love to tour you and sell you a contract.

If you want a DVC tour and the resort is manned by an ASA, ask for a tour there first.

Bill

Old 07-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
TMBeach
Earning My Ears

Stacy -- My wife and I took a day several months ago and went to every WDW DVC resort. Looked at models at VGF, BWV and SSR. We then asked desk clerks if we could see vacant rooms and everyone we asked complied (had to wait for about 20-30 minutes a couple of times). But Bill's advice is right on the mark...in effect my wife and I skimmed thru the magazine that day, but we then went back and stayed at a couple before buying at BWV and VGF. It's a great product...you just need to survey then focus on what's best for you. Best wishes.
TMBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
a742246
older than dirt

I would go to each DVC resort and ask to see a room. Worse thing that can happen is they say no, then you can just tour the grounds also ask for a resort map, you should be able to get a good picture just by touring the grounds if that resort is for you...
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by a742246 View Post
I would go to each DVC resort and ask to see a room. Worse thing that can happen is they say no, then you can just tour the grounds also ask for a resort map, you should be able to get a good picture just by touring the grounds if that resort is for you...
This is a step in the right direction but touring or visiting is somehow different than checking in and sleeping at the resort for a few days. We found that looking is different than doing.

As I have posted several times we toured the BLT model as BLT was being built, got all excited and bought BLT before staying there. BLT is a nice resort, just not our favorite and I doubt that we will ever stay there again. If we had stayed there before buying, we would not have purchased a contract there.

Bill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: