Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #16
The Hunchback
Earning My Ears

My tips for scooter use at WDW

I have used a scooter at WDW for 5 years and visit twice a year. Over the years I have learned the following.

1. Check the roll out speed on the scooter someplace at the resort where there is little traffic. Some scooters stop quickly. Other will roll up to 2 feet after you release the accelerator. Stay in slow speed all of the first day.
2, Start your visit at EPCOT. It has the widest and least traveled walkways.
3. Use the scooter as transportation. Park it with the strollers and walk to several attractions if possible. You will get stiff if you stay on it all day. I use a cane when walking for balance.
4. Stay on the sidewalk at MK Main street. If you fall in the streetcar tracks, you are stuck and it takes several people to lift an ECV out of the tracks.
5. You will hit someone when they step in front of you. Just say sorry and move on. Large mass moving tour groups are the biggest danger. Pull over to right and stop is you see one coming.
6. Get a set of lighted mouse ears and something that blinks for the rear of the scooter. Night time is wonderful at the parks but others are weary and will not see you otherwise.
7. Have as much fun as you can. The first day will be tough but it gets easier as your experience grows on the scooter.
The Hunchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:09 AM   #17
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

This is a picture of the CM setting the ramp in place on the monorail.

You want to be very careful, going on slow speed and ready to stop right away when getting on any transportation, but especially on the monorail.

You go into the door on one side and out on the other. When you get on, the door on the opposite side will still be open. I remember reading once about someone going too fast onto the monorail and coming out the door on the other side!

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
JenniBugInPink
Nobody has seen them since 1984

Please know that the ECV rentals in the parks are gone very early in the morning. Getting one later in the day can be very difficult (not possible) unless someone leaves early and turns theirs in.

The Hunchback had excellent suggestions and information!

And SueM, I sure wish I'd seen those pics before I had to do the monorail the first time. I had no idea what would happen! Now it's my favorite form of transportation because it's so hassle free. I wish monorails went all over the world (no, I mean the whole REAL world, not just WDW)!
JenniBugInPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #19
The Hunchback
Earning My Ears

More tips for WDW on a scooter

I have nearly gone out the door of the monorail when loading. Slow down when you enter. I have been asked to back out of a monorail rather than going forward. That can be tough. Ask the CM who loads you if you will need to back out. If so, stay as much in the middle of the car as you can but move up to the open door to park. Be sure to stop before going out the door. Turn the scooter off and take the key out. They generally have two scooters to a handicapped car. You may have strollers in there with you. Back out slowly as there will be people walking in your landing zone. That is another spot I have bumped someone.

Who are you renting from? Some scooters are easier to put a back light on than others. I also make my husband wear something lighted at night. He walks way a head of me and I follow his blinks as traffic allows. I don't let him get to close. If you bump family, you will never hear the end of it.
The Hunchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #20
whitney250
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hunchback View Post
I have used a scooter at WDW for 5 years and visit twice a year. Over the years I have learned the following. 1. Check the roll out speed on the scooter someplace at the resort where there is little traffic. Some scooters stop quickly. Other will roll up to 2 feet after you release the accelerator. Stay in slow speed all of the first day. 2, Start your visit at EPCOT. It has the widest and least traveled walkways. 3. Use the scooter as transportation. Park it with the strollers and walk to several attractions if possible. You will get stiff if you stay on it all day. I use a cane when walking for balance. 4. Stay on the sidewalk at MK Main street. If you fall in the streetcar tracks, you are stuck and it takes several people to lift an ECV out of the tracks. 5. You will hit someone when they step in front of you. Just say sorry and move on. Large mass moving tour groups are the biggest danger. Pull over to right and stop is you see one coming. 6. Get a set of lighted mouse ears and something that blinks for the rear of the scooter. Night time is wonderful at the parks but others are weary and will not see you otherwise. 7. Have as much fun as you can. The first day will be tough but it gets easier as your experience grows on the scooter.
Thank you for the tips! We will definitely be doing all of the above. The blinking ears is a great idea, I would have never thought of that!
Old 07-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #21
whitney250
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
This is a picture of the CM setting the ramp in place on the monorail. You want to be very careful, going on slow speed and ready to stop right away when getting on any transportation, but especially on the monorail. You go into the door on one side and out on the other. When you get on, the door on the opposite side will still be open. I remember reading once about someone going too fast onto the monorail and coming out the door on the other side!
Thank you for the pictures! It helps a lot to be able to see what we will be working with, I was having a hard time imagining how she would get on and off. Since we are WDW newbies, we are totally clueless!
Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #22
whitney250
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniBugInPink View Post
Please know that the ECV rentals in the parks are gone very early in the morning. Getting one later in the day can be very difficult (not possible) unless someone leaves early and turns theirs in. The Hunchback had excellent suggestions and information! And SueM, I sure wish I'd seen those pics before I had to do the monorail the first time. I had no idea what would happen! Now it's my favorite form of transportation because it's so hassle free. I wish monorails went all over the world (no, I mean the whole REAL world, not just WDW)!
We went ahead and ordered an ECV from an offsite company, just in case. We wanted her to be able to use it at DTD and to and from the resort if needed as well
Old 07-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #23
whitney250
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hunchback View Post
I have nearly gone out the door of the monorail when loading. Slow down when you enter. I have been asked to back out of a monorail rather than going forward. That can be tough. Ask the CM who loads you if you will need to back out. If so, stay as much in the middle of the car as you can but move up to the open door to park. Be sure to stop before going out the door. Turn the scooter off and take the key out. They generally have two scooters to a handicapped car. You may have strollers in there with you. Back out slowly as there will be people walking in your landing zone. That is another spot I have bumped someone. Who are you renting from? Some scooters are easier to put a back light on than others. I also make my husband wear something lighted at night. He walks way a head of me and I follow his blinks as traffic allows. I don't let him get to close. If you bump family, you will never hear the end of it.
I cannot remember at the moment who we rented from, I will have to look, but it was recommended on one of the threads here

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: