Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
CoCoMo
Earning My Ears

Abaco Backcountry Fishing Adventure

I am wondering if anyone has done this port adventure at Castaway Cay recently and could give a quick review? Will be heading there in April and looking to book for my husband and 16 yo son. They are avid fishermen at home and my son has never done deep sea fishing. Is this fishing trip worth the time on CC or would they be better off just spending time on the island? Thanks!
CoCoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
czmom
DIS Veteran

Following along! My hubby is doing this one in May and would love to hear more about it.
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
quickcat
Mouseketeer

My DH and DS just did this excursion this past week!
They have done the Bottom fishing excursion in the past as well and said the backcountry one is well worth the money and definitely more of a fishing experience than the bottom fishing excursion.
They started off by trolling. They only have 4 people on the excursion so I would suggest booking sooner than later but then everyone takes turns reeling in a fish when trolling. They caught a 41 inch barracuda plus other fish that I forget the name. Then after trolling they all start fishing by casting for bonefish. They came back and said this excursion would be definitely something they'd do again! My ds (he is 13) asked if this excursion ran in the afternoon too because he wanted to do it again.
They are very avid fisherman at home too so for them to say how great it was, I feel very confident saying its a great fishing trip
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
czmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickcat View Post
They have done the Bottom fishing excursion in the past as well and said the backcountry one is well worth the money and definitely more of a fishing experience than the bottom fishing excursion.
They started off by trolling. They only have 4 people on the excursion so I would suggest booking sooner than later but then everyone takes turns reeling in a fish when trolling. They caught a 41 inch barracuda plus other fish that I forget the name. Then after trolling they all start fishing by casting for bonefish. They came back and said this excursion would be definitely something they'd do again! My ds (he is 13) asked if this excursion ran in the afternoon too because he wanted to do it again.
They are very avid fisherman at home too so for them to say how great it was, I feel very confident saying its a great fishing trip
Awesome! DH is a fisherman too and said this one sounded better than the bottom fishing. Great to hear a review. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
txnmom
Earning My Ears

My husband and I are doing this next week - can't wait! Glad to see a review...I haven't found much information about it yet.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
czmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnmom View Post
My husband and I are doing this next week - can't wait! Glad to see a review...I haven't found much information about it yet.
Please pop back in and let us know how it was.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
NCConch
Mouseketeer

I did the Bottom Fishing trip in December and it was fine. I do not remember seeing the Back Country trip but will try to go when we sail again next Jan. The fishing Captain said they are considering a deep water (marlin, sailfish, dolphin) because the deep water is not too far from CC.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
jplee3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickcat View Post

I was sorely disappointed as they cancelled the Bottom Fishing excursion two weeks ago. They stated the waters were too choppy/rough to go out. They kind of lacked good communication too and I didn't know it was cancelled until my brother showed me on his wave phone 10 minutes prior (I was rushing to eat my lunch and grab my nephew). Luckily my brother had the wave phone that port adventures texted. They texted our wave phone too but it was the wave phone we just happened not to bring with us.

In any case, I was super disappointed. The backcountry excursion sounds like a lot of fun. Were they using fly fishing gear? Or was it all spinning gear?
jplee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #9
jplee3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCConch View Post
I did the Bottom Fishing trip in December and it was fine. I do not remember seeing the Back Country trip but will try to go when we sail again next Jan. The fishing Captain said they are considering a deep water (marlin, sailfish, dolphin) because the deep water is not too far from CC.
I think the back country trip was recently added. I remember reserving bottom fishing a while back and then checked again a couple months before and noticed they added the back country trip. Deep water would be fun too but not very fun if all their doing is trolling (which is quite possible if they're only going for marlin/sailfish/dorado).
jplee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
quickcat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplee3 View Post
In any case, I was super disappointed. The backcountry excursion sounds like a lot of fun. Were they using fly fishing gear? Or was it all spinning gear?
They used open faced spinning reels and the bait was just a sinker with conch on a hook that they'd throw out in front of a school of bone fish.
My son spotted a shark and asked if he could try to catch him. The guides laughed and said sure. He got the shark to bite but he snapped the line
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
CoCoMo
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for the great info! I have booked this for my son and hubby :-)
CoCoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
czmom
DIS Veteran

Bumping for more reviews.

DH did this in May and had a bad experience. They trolled around for a couple hours and saw nothing. Finally the guides took them for some bottom fishing so they could at least catch something.

Would love to hear from others who have done this! If most people have good success he may try it again in March.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: