Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #31
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
What ship were you on?

And your experience is why, IMO, they don't give a suggested amount. It's all very personal.
But if --as many claim-- they make no salary whatsoever, just keeping it "personal" could cost them a lot of money.

Every other tipped position has guidelines and predetermined amounts.

But then--is it really an unsalaried position?

I think not!!
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #32
wifey1220
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
What ship were you on? And your experience is why, IMO, they don't give a suggested amount. It's all very personal.
We were on the dream
2003 offsite, 2005 ASmovies and free dining, 2006 ASmovies and free dining, 2007 ASmusic and free dining, 2008 Pop Century and free dining, 2009 ASmusic and free dining, 2011 Disney cruise and Pop Century, 2012 Cruise on dream , 2013 Disney cruise on the Fantasy, 2013dcl dream and por free dining, 2014 dcl magic 3 nt and 7 nt eastern
wifey1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #33
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
But if --as many claim-- they make no salary whatsoever, just keeping it "personal" could cost them a lot of money.

Every other tipped position has guidelines and predetermined amounts.

But then--is it really an unsalaried position?

I think not!!
I'm with you, 100%, in that I don't think it's unsalaried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey1220 View Post
I called guest services to ask what was recommended for tipping concierge and they didn't know what to tell me. We were on a four night and the hosts really did nothing for us. I wouldn't even have recognized them during the sailing. Our room host was wonderful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey1220 View Post
We were on the dream
Wow, that's so odd that you wouldn't have even recognized them... We didn't have them do much if anything for us, but we met them after getting onboard, we asked them questions like "where is the bottled water" and they answered, they offered up cabanas if we wanted to rent them, etc etc. We talked with them quite a lot, even though they weren't asked to do much for us.

I asked because I sort of wondered if you were on the Magic/Wonder, and the room host was actually the concierge host and there was a mixup in understanding. Glad to know there wasn't that big of a mixup. Whew!

And now we're continuing with the tradition of them not doing much...I wrote them at the 123 day mark (we were traveling and I forgot the date they told me in an email), heard nothing, kept my jetlagged self up last night to do what I wanted with the booking, wrote them to say "nevermind"...they wrote back saying a system error had prevented them from getting my first email until this morning. So all they are doing ahead of time is the stuff normal CMs could do, like getting distilled water for the cpap.

Eh, no biggie for me. Still, kinda funny since this time I booked early enough for the 120 day stuff to kick in (last time we upgraded ourselves at the 60 day mark) and yet they weren't able to do anything for me at that mark.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #34
wifey1220
DIS Veteran

In the dream we upgraded at port. This time we have the magic concierge booked for November. So I know a little bit more about conceirge. Hoping the magic rooms are as nice as the dream. The bathroom was amazing on the dream.
2003 offsite, 2005 ASmovies and free dining, 2006 ASmovies and free dining, 2007 ASmusic and free dining, 2008 Pop Century and free dining, 2009 ASmusic and free dining, 2011 Disney cruise and Pop Century, 2012 Cruise on dream , 2013 Disney cruise on the Fantasy, 2013dcl dream and por free dining, 2014 dcl magic 3 nt and 7 nt eastern
wifey1220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: