Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Mom2PrincessesLinSy
DIS Veteran

DCL transfer pick up times vs Happy Limo

Hi all, bit of an urgent question. My parents were going to be going on the cruise with us IN THREE DAYS, but my Mom has had some cardiac issues, and is now not allowed to go on the ship this trip. They were driving down to FL, so they were to be our transpo from WDW to PC and then from PC to the airport.

Now I am scrambling to arrange transportation.

DME for 4 of us round trip is $280, but I was wondering if anyone knew what time the pick up was from the Grand Floridian? We have gone from Saratoga before, and I know they have LATE pick-up, but not sure about GF.

The other SNAFU is that we arranged a 11:10 am flight out, which when my parents were driving wouldn't be a problem to make the flight, now I am a bit more worried about making it on-time. If we get early departure, I am sure we can get to the airport on time with DCL transfers, but I was also considering renting a Limo Service.

I have until tomorrow to make the DCL reservations. PLEASE anyone have suggestions, or at least know what time the pick up is at GF? I have an 11am PAT, so it will KILL me to not get to the Port until 2pm!!

Multiple Disney Trips (both Pre-EPCOT and Post-EPCOT) as a child Wedding at WDW Wedding Pavillion/GF 10/99 Disneyland: 4 trips Disney World: 10 trips Disney Magic: 6 sailings Disney Wonder: 2 sailings Disney Fantasy: 1 sailing, now waiting on our Christmas Dream Cruise to be Platinum and Grand Slam!!
Mom2PrincessesLinSy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Club Disney Chandler
Mouseketeer

I used happy limo last week to get WDW to PC, driver picked us up at 9:30 for our 10:45 PAT and we were walking in the terminal at 10:35. Our other cruises using DCL transportation from. WDW didn't get us they until about 12:30-12:45. I would without a doubt, use happy limo for both transfers
DL: Way too many to count
Club Disney Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Jcjmommy
Earning My Ears

We used Happy Limo on June 11th and again on June 18th. They were great! Marlo picked us up from the airport, helped with ours bags, and took us to a Pubix store to buy food for our week long Disney stay. Very nice. The cost was $71. We rode in a brand new Escalade to the resort. My kids loved it. Marlo helped unload everything when we got there. He kept all of us laughing by telling kid friendly jokes and stories. I will use them again.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2PrincessesLinSy View Post
Hi all, bit of an urgent question. My parents were going to be going on the cruise with us IN THREE DAYS, but my Mom has had some cardiac issues, and is now not allowed to go on the ship this trip. They were driving down to FL, so they were to be our transpo from WDW to PC and then from PC to the airport.

Now I am scrambling to arrange transportation.

DME for 4 of us round trip is $280, but I was wondering if anyone knew what time the pick up was from the Grand Floridian? We have gone from Saratoga before, and I know they have LATE pick-up, but not sure about GF.

The other SNAFU is that we arranged a 11:10 am flight out, which when my parents were driving wouldn't be a problem to make the flight, now I am a bit more worried about making it on-time. If we get early departure, I am sure we can get to the airport on time with DCL transfers, but I was also considering renting a Limo Service.

I have until tomorrow to make the DCL reservations. PLEASE anyone have suggestions, or at least know what time the pick up is at GF? I have an 11am PAT, so it will KILL me to not get to the Port until 2pm!!
DCL transportation will go from hotel to hotel until the bus is full, so you won't be arriving at the cruise terminal until well after your PAT.
If you've driven the route before, I'd suggest a one-way rental from the airport to the port (unless you're coming in a day or two before the cruise). If you're doing DME from the airport to WDW, there are a couple of places to rent cars on the property. One is the Dolphin behind Epcot, and the other is the Car Care center near the Magic Kingdom gate.
To get back to the airport, you could reserve a car from Hertz (there's a rental office near the Country Inn & Suites at Port Canaveral) and do a one-way rental from the port to the airport.
It would probably cost less than DCL transportation (downside is you'd have to do the driving... not relax and let DCL drop you off).

Long story short- less stress, do the DME from airport to WDW, DCL from WDW to port and port to airport. Do a early walk-off with all your luggage and hop on the first bus or do the one-way rental.

Good luck- and I hope that this helps you. Safe travels!!
Old 06-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
Mom2PrincessesLinSy
DIS Veteran

Well, Happy Limo is booked (actually overbooked)for this Saturday, so they are out. If I get them just for the Port to MCO next Saturday it's $121 one way.

Rental car (cheapest) would be $280 to rent, then $140 to park.

DCL will be $280 round trip.

Guess I have little choice at this point, but looks like Happy Limo may be a good way to go for next time.

Now I hope they may still have Elsa/Anna tickets available by the time we board, since it looks like the availability is only 12-3pm...

Thanks to those for your suggestions!

Multiple Disney Trips (both Pre-EPCOT and Post-EPCOT) as a child Wedding at WDW Wedding Pavillion/GF 10/99 Disneyland: 4 trips Disney World: 10 trips Disney Magic: 6 sailings Disney Wonder: 2 sailings Disney Fantasy: 1 sailing, now waiting on our Christmas Dream Cruise to be Platinum and Grand Slam!!
Mom2PrincessesLinSy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, Happy Limo is booked (actually overbooked)for this Saturday, so they are out. If I get them just for the Port to MCO next Saturday it's $121 one way.

Guess I have little choice at this point, but looks like Happy Limo may be a good way to go for next time.

Now I hope they may still have Elsa/Anna tickets available by the time we board, since it looks like the availability is only 12-3pm...

You said in your original post "we arranged a 11:10 am flight out". I believe that DCL transfers are not an option for flights before 11:30. Be sure to check that out.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

If you do 2 one-way car rentals, you wouldn't have to pay for parking... just make your reservations for a car each way and they'd send the shuttle for you.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
pgbear
Earning My Ears

Norris limousine is very good.
pgbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh my gosh, Happy Limo isn't the only option for ground transfers. There are plenty others too. Southern Elegance comes to mind but I'm sure you could get more info from the Transportation Board.

IIRC, you can purchase return transfers to MCO while onboard. I'd double check though to make sure.

Also IIRC, I believe you can use DCL transfers even if your flight is slightly before 11:30am but it must be at least 11:30 to be eligible for Onboard Airline Check in. Again, double check with DCL if you really want to use their transfers.
We've tried private car pick up and rental cars and find the rental car process to be a PITA, especially post cruise. After being pampered for a week, it was an awful way to end a cruise. At least with a private driver they'll handle your luggage instead of dragging on and off the shuttle from the port, cramming it in the trunk, etc. The drive itself is easy though.
We love the convenience of DCL transfers but since your flights are already booked, you have to do what works for you.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We used FLTours and liked them. There are other transfer options.

There is no set schedule that they always use from the resorts. And even if you were picked up early at GF, you're then going to be on the bus while they stop at 2 or so other hotels. We were picked up at POR at 11, and stopped at 2 more resorts (higher end than POR). I would NEVER expect to get to PC before 2pm, when using DCL transfers.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
Ana~n~Joseph
I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met Mickey for the first time

We used Space Port Transport. They are NOT fancy AT ALL but got us to the port when we wanted and were there to pick us up the moment we got off the ship. They were also very reasonably priced. Were they the greatest transport company with super nice cars and super nice drivers? No. Did they serve the purpose? YES.

Dec ‘95 – ASMusic; Dec ‘96 – ASMusic; Dec ‘97 – offsite; Dec ‘98 – ASMusic; Dec ‘99 ASMovies ; Aug ‘02 – ASMusic ; Jan ‘06 – CBR (Honeymoon); Sept ‘06 – Pop; Nov ‘06 – ASMusic; March ‘07 – POR; Sep ‘07 – Pop; Sept '07 - DLP; Feb ‘08 – Pop; Sept ‘08 – CSR; Jan ‘09 – Pop; Jan’ 09 – CR Club; March ‘10 – Boardwalk; Sept ‘10 – CSR; May ‘11 – CR; Sept '11 - AKL; Dec '11 - AKL Club; Dec '11 - Christmas Cruise - Disney Dream; September 2012 - AKL w/ BFF - November 2012 - Pop w/ DS + Mom & Disney Dream; April 2013 Disney Magic - Coming Up: October 2013 - AKL-Kidani - ToT 10 miler; Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2014 - Disney Dream & AKL/BWV; Aug 2014 - Disney Magic Med; Sept 2014 - BLT, AKL & Disney Dream w/ BFF; Jan 2015 - Pop Century; November 2015 - Wine & Dine Half; January 2016 - Disney Magic
Ana~n~Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: