Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 12:33 AM   #31
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post

No phones or cameras in customs is common around the world. Last month we saw 5 people lose their cell phones in Australia and at LAX they did take someone's camera when they didn't stop taking pictures.
That's been my experience as well. For example, on our second trip to the Cook Islands, I took photos of a cute sniffer dog in the security area. I was told to either delete the photos or they would confiscate my camera. Lesson learned.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 AM   #32
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigferrell View Post
Wow, not a warm and fuzzy Dis response. I am very familiar due to my occupation with security rules.
Really? Do you repeatedly violate the security rules at work because you don't think they're that big a deal, or you think they don't apply to you, or whatever?

Honestly I'm not sure what you were looking for by starting this thread. You said that you repeatedly violated the no-photo rules and were repeatedly corrected not to do so. And asked what other peoples' experience was, which it sounds like (for those who either didn't see the signs or chose to disregard them) was exactly the same as yours. To come back and get mad because people didn't pat you on the head and tell you everything is okay seems pretty silly.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2014, 12:55 AM   #33
fnrsgrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman93 View Post
Really? Do you repeatedly violate the security rules at work because you don't think they're that big a deal, or you think they don't apply to you, or whatever?

Honestly I'm not sure what you were looking for by starting this thread. You said that you repeatedly violated the no-photo rules and were repeatedly corrected not to do so. And asked what other peoples' experience was, which it sounds like (for those who either didn't see the signs or chose to disregard them) was exactly the same as yours. To come back and get mad because people didn't pat you on the head and tell you everything is okay seems pretty silly.
I'm pretty sure the OP was wondering more about the gangplank area, where it has generally been okay to take pictures. I know I have pictures that I took the whole way going up from Mickey's head right through to the atrium of the ship, and as others have said, I wasn't trying to hide the camera. Possibly the OP has cruised from a port other than Port Canaveral, and the rules were different there?

As to the customs and security areas, I am a little surprised that anyone would not realize that you are not supposed to take pictures there. The signs are large, clear and easy to see.

2002- Yacht Club and All-Star Music; 2007 AKL and All-star Movies/DCL; 2008- All-Star Movies; Feb. 2010- POR; 2012- POR/DCL; 2013- POR
Me & DH, Bond, KP, Carbon and Sprinkles
Please check out my first PTR, Sea Ya Real Soon: A Dreamy Pre-Trip Report, my NEW PTR, There's No Place Like Your Second Home for the Holidays--A Very Merry Christmas-y PTR And my first TR, A Veritable Explosion of Pixie Dust
fnrsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:21 AM   #34
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

How on earth are they going to know that you are filming when you are wearing Google Glass? Not like they have a big sign on the glasses saying that I am filming.

The no filming policy seems ridiculous since they are easy ways to discretely film now days.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #35
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tinkerella View Post
I work at a port facility. It's Homeland Security guidelines that are enforced by Customs and Border Protection. All of this started after 9/11 and truthfully it's for your own safety and protection, as you never know who is taking pictures of the "secure areas" and what they may be attempting to do (looking for flaws that can be compromised). It would be nice if they would explain that rather than being rude, but......................
It is NOT my intention to disagree, but we disembarked on 9/9/01 from the Wonder and I was told to put my camera away. : goodvibes:
As a matter of fact, disembarking last month the overriding feeling I had going into customs was not "boo-the trip is over"; it was "I am not going to get in trouble this time."
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #36
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDry View Post

Separate from that, there's the "customs hall" rule. This far predates 9/11, and includes the immigration, baggage claim, and customs check areas of international ports of entry (including land borders, cruise terminals, and airports). Photography has been prohibited in these areas for decades, and it's more or less a universal rule anywhere in the world. The US also enforces a "no cellphone" rule that prohibits talking, texting, or any other form of electronic communication while in the customs hall. And, unlike the private port security or even the TSA, the CBP officers in the customs hall are actual police officers, and they definitely have the authority to confiscate your equipment (or arrest you) if you don't comply.

I think why it's often an issue with cruisers is that so many of them have little to no international travel experience, other than cruises. Just look at how many threads there are about people going on cruises without a passport - for the most part, these people have zero international travel experience. Anyone that has traveled internationally by air is likely to recognize the customs hall for what it is, and know about the "no photography" rule.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Anyone with experience flying internationally looks at airports/customs/etc in a whole new light. In ATL, I'm simply irritated by the TSA employees who can't keep a line moving to save their lives. In Madrid, the third degree we got while standing in line just to check in for our flight was pretty darned intimidating. Luggage sniffing dogs with armed handlers coming back from Cuba (and often from London these days according to DH). Nothing warm and fuzzy about flying in and out of Prague. Etc., etc.

At no point in any of those places did it occur to me that having a camera or a cell phone out would be a good idea.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #37
~Tinkerella
Mouseketeer

WOW Iceman93 ~ I don't usually post stuff like this, but back off, you are really being rude. The name Iceman fits!!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain!"
~Tinkerella is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: