Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #1096
shellypaige
Mouseketeer

Is there a path to walk from the grand floridian to the transportation center?
shellypaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #1097
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellypaige View Post
Is there a path to walk from the grand floridian to the transportation center?
There is a path from gf to poly and a path from poly to TTC.

However one of them isn't too bad to walk ( I do all the time) but both would be long.

A mom and me connection before year 2 of college. I sure will miss her

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 POP, GF 19 17
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #1098
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Ferrentinos, here is the link to the bus stop photos I posted on a previous thread. The path you see in the first photo is the one from the Main Bldg. entrance, walking toward the Convention Center.

HTH!

andyman8 - thanks! Good to know.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
k&a&c'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #1099
disney meema
DIS Veteran

Any stories of pixie dust experiences at GF... Love to read about those magical moments : )

Here's ours from GF:

We were upgraded from a garden view standard room to SL club ... An incredible surprise
My twin grandsons each received a small red wagon filled with Mickey goodies ect. Balloons and a small birthday cake for each of them for their 5th birthday ... So so surprised!

We had our shopping purchases sent from DDT to the Grand and it never arrived. We called front desk and they checked for us and it seems it was lost. The concierge called us and came and got our receipt for our purchases ... She drove to DDT and got everything for us we had bought and added some extra special treats and figurines for the two boys. Yep she drove to DDT and back to make sure we had everything, amazing!

We booked a lagoon view and our room was in conch key dormer room with a theme park view as well ... So fun!
disney meema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #1100
jpalasky
Earning My Ears

Hi Thanks for the tips with Christmas decorations. I have been reading through all the pages on tips for the GF. It is very overwhelming. I am planning to book a garden view room. What building do you suggest would be great to stay in. I have only been to the GF for dinner so I do not know the resort very well. We do enjoy hanging at the pool and being close to activities. I don't believe the resort is as spread out as the POLY. Am I correct?
jpalasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #1101
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post

Mickeynut, pixarmom, SueM, Trish and all my Grand Groupies I am unintentionally leaving out
Hi pas . Good to "see" you back. Hope things are going well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalasky View Post
This is our first time staying at GF. YEAH!!!! Always stay at Poly but with all the changes don't want to be in the middle of that.
You are going to love the GF. The Poly is our favorite resort, but the GF runs a very close second for me as everything about it is wonderful .

Quote:
Originally Posted by famy27 View Post
Count us in as more displaced Poly guests. We were going to do Poly for DH's 40th in August, but after seeing the most recent posts about the pool closure and not being able to get from one side of the resort to the other, we decided to switch to GF for the first time.

Looking at the pictures in this thread is convincing me we made the right choice, especially the updated room décor. I was always afraid it would seem too old-fashioned, but the new bedding looks great.

We'll be there Aug 29-Sept 2. Can't wait!
I think you made a good choice as the GF (IMO) is a great alternative to the Poly .

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Thanks, I've missed all my GF friends, too. Now that things are starting to get back to normal, I'll try to post more often.
Good to "see" you back. Glad things are settling down a little for you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahcupcake View Post
Good (almost) Afternoon

It's a little soggy here again, hope it dries out soon. Last week it was soooooooo humid UGH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Thank you.. thank you friends... for the warm welcome back!!!

~ The GF.... Our stay was just wonderful... the resort after so many renovations over the last few years is looking lovely...and spring and summer have sprung..lots of beautiful folliage... As in our last stay..while there are turndown chocolates..there are no longer those turn down cards with the little sayings on them...so I am thinking they are gone for good...

~SL renovation is in full swing...not that I could see anything other than the construction walls...lol... I did hear similar to what grannieminnie has heard with regards to what is going on with the lounge refurbs..it is not being made larger..rather being re arranged....and from what I understand should have a look color wise similar to Gasparilla's!! To me that is good news..as Gaspies has that same blue and green palette that is on the walls in the pool elevator lobby...I only hope this is accurate info....

~The food...lol...I know that many of you are all about the food too!!! But...I have a lot of errands to run..and need to look through my photos to give some specifics....so...I will be back later or tomorrow to fill you in!!
Welcome back. Glad you had another amazing GF stay .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
Hi! We are staying at the GF for the first time in September. We have an outer building, theme park view. I have never really requested a room, except at POR where I like the mansions and not alligator bayou. Is it recommended that I request a certain building or just let it be a surprise? Just me and the DH will be going.
Like k&a&c'smom said, requesting a particular building is a personal decision, but it is nice to have that option if there is a certain location you would like to be in. With that said, if you do make requests and are assigned a room that doesn't meet those requests, you can always ask if there is another room available. Disney can't guarantee anything, but they will try their best to accommodate you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalasky View Post
I have been reading through all the pages on tips for the GF. It is very overwhelming. I am planning to book a garden view room. What building do you suggest would be great to stay in. I have only been to the GF for dinner so I do not know the resort very well. We do enjoy hanging at the pool and being close to activities. I don't believe the resort is as spread out as the POLY. Am I correct?
You are correct that the GF isn't as spread out as it might seem (but I also don't think the Poly is all that spread out), so none of the outer buildings are too far from the main areas, IMO. With that said, my two favorite buildings for GV are Big Pine Key and Boca Chica. Both have pretty views of the courtyard pool and are very convenient to the main building, the beach pool, and Gasparillas .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #1102
ahcupcake
Mouseketeer

Good Afternoon The sun has finally shown itself.....Don't know if any of you you remember the NASTY hailstorm that the south eastern part of PA had a few weeks ago, but one of the casualties was aunt & uncles car so they finally got a new one and we took my aunt to pick it up this morning, stank having to share a car with them for the last 2.5 weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
Hey, ahcupcake!! Any trips on the horizon for you and your mom??
Sadly no Nothing booked but when we decide to go I'll be calling my magical TA, who I think you might know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post

I am not sure where to start.... Maybe do a mini TR ..in segments...

~ The GF.... Our stay was just wonderful... the resort after so many renovations over the last few years is looking lovely...and spring and summer have sprung..lots of beautiful foliage... As in our last stay..while there are turn down chocolates..there are no longer those turn down cards with the little sayings on them...so I am thinking they are gone for good...

~SL renovation is in full swing...not that I could see anything other than the construction walls...lol... I did hear similar to what grannieminnie has heard with regards to what is going on with the lounge refurbs..it is not being made larger..rather being re arranged....and from what I understand should have a look color wise similar to Gasparilla's!! To me that is good news..as Gaspies has that same blue and green palette that is on the walls in the pool elevator lobby...I only hope this is accurate info....

~The food...lol...I know that many of you are all about the food too!!! But...I have a lot of errands to run..and need to look through my photos to give some specifics....so...I will be back later or tomorrow to fill you in!!

Hope that everyone is having a fabulous Friday!! Which btw is Friday the 13!! preppy GF gal who is happy that she booked a BB!!
Thanks for the mini TR Blue, how can you have the chocolates without the cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcb View Post
Hello! New here!

We're doing a switch from Contemporary (which would have been our first time, we've always stayed at the WL) to the Grand (need a room for 5). I've been very behind in planning his trip for some reason and I'm 5 days out!

My travel agent made all the specific room requests I have (Conch, upper floor), but I just want to make sure she did it. Is there a specific # I call. I just tried call Disney and they tell me to call her...do I call the Grand itself? and I've seen some people know what building then are going to be in before they go? Am I reading that correctly? How did you do that??

I'm very overwhelmed with this trip! We've always stayed at the WL and I'm not big on change and we usually go at the end of summer -- I teach, so I usually have more time to get things under control!! Freaking out!!

And I have friends texting me that we'll never get on the Seven Dwarfs ride! AGH!
Hi congrats on you upcoming first stay at the GF! It's best not to give specific room numbers but a range of numbers. OK my Unofficial Guide for WDW and for Conch rooms with full balconies that have MK views are 7228 to 7231, 7328 to 7331 and 7425 to 7431( they explain in the book that the first # is the building, second # is floor & last2 digits is the actual room #) So if you would request any room in those ranges you should be good. Sago also has some good lagoon & castle view rooms( 5139,5144, 5145,5242 to 5245, 5342 to 5345)....Call your TA and have her note your requests on your reservation, your TA owns your reservation until you check in so s/he is the only person that can make any adjustments and/or requests( I know that's kind of stinky)

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, everything is OK. DD was in a car wreck a couple months ago, which has taken up a lot of our time trying to get the other insurance to do the right thing. But she wasn't seriously hurt, thank goodness, and finally has her car back.
Glad everything & everyone is ok...I know what you mean about insurance co, my aunt has been dealing with one for damage their car received a few weeks back and she said it has been stressful on top of trying to move back to PA from NYC and care for my uncle who is suffering from dementia so I think she has a few more grays

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney meema View Post
Any stories of pixie dust experiences at GF... Love to read about those magical moments : )

Here's ours from GF:

We were upgraded from a garden view standard room to SL club ... An incredible surprise
My twin grandsons each received a small red wagon filled with Mickey goodies ect. Balloons and a small birthday cake for each of them for their 5th birthday ... So so surprised!

We had our shopping purchases sent from DDT to the Grand and it never arrived. We called front desk and they checked for us and it seems it was lost. The concierge called us and came and got our receipt for our purchases ... She drove to DDT and got everything for us we had bought and added some extra special treats and figurines for the two boys. Yep she drove to DDT and back to make sure we had everything, amazing!

We booked a lagoon view and our room was in conch key dormer room with a theme park view as well ... So fun!
Congrats on you pixie dust My mom & I have dusted a few times, the first time we had a deluxe king room in the main building (RPC CL) and we were upgraded to the Grand Suite #4001( video I shot is on the first page of this thread...if you have a pinterest page I can PM you the link to page so you can see some still shots of the suite) and the second time we had just a standard RPC room book and we were upgraded to the Walt Disney Suite #4411( I'm still looking for pics to send to k&a&c'smom so she can post them). I also had one at the CR but that was because the we were going to put us in a lake view when I know I booked an MK view, they put us in a very nice suite on the 14th floor. I'd stay at the CR again but not with an MK view, don't like hearing all the car alarms going off when watching Wishes.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #1103
ahcupcake
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post

Hi mickeynut
I see you posted while I was writing my novel. Hope evrything is well with you in your part of the US
Old 06-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #1104
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good Afternoon The sun has finally shown itself.....Don't know if any of you you remember the NASTY hailstorm that the south eastern part of PA had a few weeks ago, but one of the casualties was aunt & uncles car so they finally got a new one and we took my aunt to pick it up this morning, stank having to share a car with them for the last 2.5 weeks.
Sorry about your aunt & uncle's car, but glad everything got settled and they were able to get a new one .

Quote:
Hi mickeynut
I see you posted while I was writing my novel. Hope evrything is well with you in your part of the US
Yes, we were posting at the same time . Things here are good, thanks. We had some rain at the beginning of the week, but the last few days have been sunny and cool with temps in the mid 70s .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 06-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #1105
abk96
Remember the true heroes, our police, firefighters, and the brave men and women in the military. Thank you for keeping us safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Some of the information I've seen around (including in this thread) regarding the reduced monorail hours is incorrect.

These are the official hours as of now for June 22 and beyond.

Magic Kingdom Resort beam - 8:30am to midnight
Magic Kingdom Express beam - 9:30am to 11:30pm
Epcot beam - 9am to 11pm

An enddate has still not even been nailed down internally but they're hoping to be done around early September (think like the first week).
Thank you for the correction. I guess the DIS got them mixed up. I thought that it would be weird that the resort line would be an hour later than the express. Now I can relax.

ETA I read here on the DIS info and on another website that the resort monorail was at 9:30. Only one website that I saw says 8:30. I'm hoping this is correct. It would make more sense.
July'09 BWV--June'12 BC-CL--July/Aug'13 BWI-CL--July/Aug'14 GF-CL and BWI

Last edited by abk96; 06-14-2014 at 05:54 PM.
abk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #1106
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post

Good to "see" you back. Glad things are settling down a little for you .

Me, too, I prefer a more boring life. I did get a nice visit with 2 of my kids during that time, so that's a plus.

Quote:

Glad everything & everyone is ok...I know what you mean about insurance co, my aunt has been dealing with one for damage their car received a few weeks back and she said it has been stressful on top of trying to move back to PA from NYC and care for my uncle who is suffering from dementia so I think she has a few more grays

Congrats on you pixie dust My mom & I have dusted a few times, the first time we had a deluxe king room in the main building (RPC CL) and we were upgraded to the Grand Suite #4001( video I shot is on the first page of this thread...if you have a pinterest page I can PM you the link to page so you can see some still shots of the suite) and the second time we had just a standard RPC room book and we were upgraded to the Walt Disney Suite #4411( I'm still looking for pics to send to k&a&c'smom so she can post them). I also had one at the CR but that was because the we were going to put us in a lake view when I know I booked an MK view, they put us in a very nice suite on the 14th floor. I'd stay at the CR again but not with an MK view, don't like hearing all the car alarms going off when watching Wishes.
Thanks about DD. Sorry to hear about your aunt & uncle's car, it must have been hard to deal with all that when moving. Glad they finally have a new car. Sorry, too, about your uncle - so hard when a loved one struggles with memory loss.

You certainly have been pixie dusted! I'll try to get those photos posted soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk96 View Post

Quote:

Epcot beam - 9am to 11pm
Thank you for the correction. I guess the DIS got them mixed up. I thought that it would be weird that the resort line would be an hour later than the express. Now I can relax.

ETA I read here on the DIS info and on another website that the resort monorail was at 9:30. Only one website that I saw says 8:30. I'm hoping this is correct. It would make more sense.
I agree, the 8:30 am beginning for the resort monorail makes more sense. It would make getting to Epcot by rope drop easier, at least. I'll keep my fingers crossed this is the case for everyone going over the summer.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 06-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #1107
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

oops! Forgot to say:

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!

I hope all the dads out there have a wonderful day today.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #1108
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the dads

Quote:
Me, too, I prefer a more boring life. I did get a nice visit with 2 of my kids during that time, so that's a plus.
I agree......life is somewhat easier when things are a little boring . How nice that you had some time with 2 of your kids....I'm sure it was nice having them home .

Old 06-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #1109
yce22princess
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! I know this was asked a few pages back, but I can't find if it was ever answered....Are the mattresses new with the refurb? Thanks!
yce22princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #1110
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Some of the information I've seen around (including in this thread) regarding the reduced monorail hours is incorrect.

Epcot beam - 9am to 11pm

An enddate has still not even been nailed down internally but they're hoping to be done around early September (think like the first week).
I have a weird question...... so let's say you have an 8 am breakfast ADR at Cinderella's Castle or Crystal Palace.... will you have to take the boat now to make that ADR? (are the boats going to be running that early so people can make the early ADR's?) We obviously have a long ways to go before it effects us, but I'm just more curious than anything.....

Also, if MK is EMH, I'm assuming this means that the monorail won't be running and we'd have to take the boat back to GF ?

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: