Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
staffieri
DIS Veteran

Safari- Reviews

Has anyone tried any of the Safaris that Disney offers? How was it? Was it worth the fee?
They have Wild Africa Trek
There Night Safari for all AKL guest
Love your feedback
Old 06-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

We have done Wild Africa Trek twice and LOVED it both times. Both times were completely different experiences because of the guides and the animal interaction. While it is pricy, we thought it was the highlight of our past 2 trips. We did the 10:15am tour, so you got to stop for a light lunch/snack halfway through which was great. I believe earlier tours get more breakfast based food items. My favorites were the jungle juice and chicken salad. The first part of the tour is walking to see hippos and alligators and cross the rope bridges - what a great experiences and the additional guides we met along the way were very knowledgeable. The second part of the tour was the safari part but your group is in it's own vehicle and they pull over frequently for more stops and animal watching than the regular safari tour. On both tours, they also took a ton of photos which you can download when you arrive home. I can't recommend Wild Africa Trek enough! Have a great trip!

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Lovinallthingsdisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffieri View Post
Has anyone tried any of the Safaris that Disney offers? How was it? Was it worth the fee? They have Wild Africa Trek There Night Safari for all AKL guest Love your feedback
We did the Night Safari last December. Our party of three were the only guests on board so it was nice and private. We were able to ask lots of questions and spend "extra" time in the areas that interested us most. My daughter loves giraffes and she was not disappointed. We used special night vision monoculars but it was also viewable without by moonlight. It was fun. In comparison, we also did breakfast safari for the same cost and we got a meal with that. Also a great time!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Did you have to reserve the night safari in advance, or is this something organised once you arrive on site? Just wondering because I saw it noted on the Activity update sheets given to guests when they check in.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
staffieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggieFan View Post
We have done Wild Africa Trek twice and LOVED it both times. Both times were completely different experiences because of the guides and the animal interaction. While it is pricy, we thought it was the highlight of our past 2 trips. We did the 10:15am tour, so you got to stop for a light lunch/snack halfway through which was great. I believe earlier tours get more breakfast based food items. My favorites were the jungle juice and chicken salad. The first part of the tour is walking to see hippos and alligators and cross the rope bridges - what a great experiences and the additional guides we met along the way were very knowledgeable. The second part of the tour was the safari part but your group is in it's own vehicle and they pull over frequently for more stops and animal watching than the regular safari tour. On both tours, they also took a ton of photos which you can download when you arrive home. I can't recommend Wild Africa Trek enough! Have a great trip!
If your only going to the park for the day is it worth booking the safari? I think you need park admission to do it. We have never been to AK and only have one day to see it.

Thanks!!
Old 06-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

I haven't done the Wild Africa Safari at AK or the Night Time Safari at AKL, but I have done the Wanyama Safari at AKL. It includes a safari ride through the savannas of AKL and then a dinner at Jiko. I really enjoyed both parts of that safari. You can see my full review through the link in my signature.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
Lovinallthingsdisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
Did you have to reserve the night safari in advance, or is this something organised once you arrive on site? Just wondering because I saw it noted on the Activity update sheets given to guests when they check in.
I booked mine in advance. Since we were the only three guests and the vehicle appeared to hold maybe 10 to 15 people, we probably could have waited until we arrived. I did have to pay in full when the ressie was made.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
staffieri
DIS Veteran

Thanks. Trying to figure out if the $ is worth it. And I think one require admission to the park. We are coming the last week in August.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
tsme
DIS Veteran

We did the Wild Africa Trek last year. You do need park admission tickets, plus your reservation for the Trek. It is expensive, but totally worth it. We went on the first one of the day & had plenty of time afterwards to tour everything in AK.
tsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #10
SweetBelle
Earning My Ears

I've done the Wild Africa Trek, Wanyama Safari, and Sunrise Safari.

I had to book a room at Animal Kingdom Lodge Club Level to do the Sunrise Safari - that may have changed. I did enjoy it, it was cool to see the animals as they are getting up. I will note because its early not all of the animals were out on the savanna yet, so we didn't get to see everything. The breakfast was pretty good. I think you did need a park ticket to do this, i think it cost around $60-$70. I would recommend this experience at least once.

The Wanyama Safari was available to anyone staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge, you did not need to stay club level. I REALLY enjoyed this experience. The first time I did it I was at Disney by myself (waiting for my brother and his family to arrive) and decided to do this at the resort. You went out to the savannas at the resort in covered truck. You got really close to the animals, plenty of stops for pictures. The guide was very knowledgable. It was really cool to hear about the animals from the caretakers. Then afterward there was dinner at Jiko - very delicious. I loved it so much I did it again when i took my parents to Disney. This is expensive ($200), but with the dinner and savanna tour definitely worth it. When i went the second time the dinner was served in individual portions (vs. family style like my first time) Much better with the individual portions. I will do this again in the future.

The Wild Africa Trek was my absolute favorite. I will definitely do this again - where else are you going to cross bridges over hippos and alligators. This does require park admission and is also pricey ($200) but worth every penny. I did this with my Dad and we ended up being the only 2 people at our time slot. It was awesome. They tell you about the animals and take plenty of photos. The caretaker of the hippos came out to talk to us for a while. They asked what my favorite animal was (elephants) and made sure they took many pictures. It was just nice chatting with the tour guides. After the walk thru the trail and the "behind the scenes" you go in a truck and go out on the same safari as the ride. Only you get much more details about the animals and more time to take pictures. This takes about 2-ish hours - now that may be cause our party was just 2 people and i think there can be up to 12 - so it could be 3 hours being sure to get there in plenty of time before it starts. If you get to the park right at opening I think you can definitely do this and the rest of the park. You could skip the safari ride since the Wild Africa Trek takes you out on the savanna too. You also cover all but the gorillas on the trail in Africa. Then focus your FP+ on the remaining big ticket attractions and note which shows you want to do. It could be tight but doable. I definitely recommend the WAT - i will be doing this often

Hope this helped! Have a great vacation!
SweetBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
staffieri
DIS Veteran

The Wild Africa Trek was my absolute favorite. I will definitely do this again - where else are you going to cross bridges over hippos and alligators. This does require park admission and is also pricey ($200) but worth every penny. I did this with my Dad and we ended up being the only 2 people at our time slot. It was awesome. They tell you about the animals and take plenty of photos. The caretaker of the hippos came out to talk to us for a while. They asked what my favorite animal was (elephants) and made sure they took many pictures. It was just nice chatting with the tour guides. After the walk thru the trail and the "behind the scenes" you go in a truck and go out on the same safari as the ride. Only you get much more details about the animals and more time to take pictures. This takes about 2-ish hours - now that may be cause our party was just 2 people and i think there can be up to 12 - so it could be 3 hours being sure to get there in plenty of time before it starts. If you get to the park right at opening I think you can definitely do this and the rest of the park. You could skip the safari ride since the Wild Africa Trek takes you out on the savanna too. You also cover all but the gorillas on the trail in Africa. Then focus your FP+ on the remaining big ticket attractions and note which shows you want to do. It could be tight but doable. I definitely recommend the WAT - i will be doing this often

Hope this helped! Have a great vacation![/QUOTE]
Super great info. What time was your tour? Were also going last week in August so a little worried the heat might be too much for all that trekking.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
I Run Long
DIS Veteran

Our group of 8 will be doing Wild Africa Trek for the first time this August. If it helps any - they frequently have $50 off per person if you take the 11:45 am tour or later. That's what we will be doing and have actually booked the 11:45 tour for the 22nd of August. So for our group we save $400 with that discount. It may be worth giving them a call and seeing if the discount will apply to your dates.

Me DH DS18 DD16

I Run Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer

We have done the Wild Africa Trek, Sunrise Safari, Wanyama Safari and Night Safari. My favorite of all of those is the Wild Africa Trek. It is pricey, but worth every penny. It includes a snack, which is so big, it was my lunch. I would recommend it highly! Here is a link to the review: Wild Africa Trek

My second favorite is the Wanyama Safari. It's also kind of pricey, but included dinner with wine Review: Wanyama Safari

I also enjoyed the Sunrise Safari. It is not as expensive, but you have to be staying at Club level to book it. In includes a great breakfast buffet at Pizzafari. Review: Sunrise Safari

I don't have too many photos of the night safari, or a review, but I enjoyed that one too! We each had our own pair of goggles. They made the animals have this greenish glow, but if you hit this red button you can see the animals as if it were daylight. I would recommend this one too.

I enjoyed each one in a different way for different reasons.
MLinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #14
SweetBelle
Earning My Ears

I did the WAT at about 10:15 10:30 in the morning in January. About the first hour-ish maybe a bit longer your trekking then in the truck for the savanna tour which takes you to a pavilion for a snack. I think it could get hot/uncomfortable but I would just go earlier before it gets super hot. It was awesome and definitely worth it. Whichever safari you decide to do you'll have to give us a review
SweetBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: